Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BigBlackTruck

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Postby BigBlackTruck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:34 pm

Anyone know which apartments are good for big dogs? Mine's 70-80 lbs, making Pinnacle and Parc a no go, Garrett might work (doesn't list weight restriction so need to call). The Heights seems expensive, especially if it's in a bad area, and doesn't list pet policy either.

Obviously will check things out in person, but would be nice to be sent in the right direction.
Last edited by BigBlackTruck on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:58 pm

BigBlackTruck wrote:Anyone know which apartments are good for big dogs? I have a lab that's like 70-80 lbs, making Pinnacle and Parc a no go, Garrett might work (doesn't list weight restriction so need to call). The Heights seems expensive, especially if it's in a bad area, and doesn't list pet policy either.

Obviously will check things out in person, but would be nice to be sent in the right direction.

Check out The Evergreens at Mt. Moriah. It's a few miles down the road towards Chapel Hill, but still an easy drive, near lots of stuff, and I think they have no weight limit on dogs.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Hello all, I'm just wondering how easy it is for first-years to live near their peers and stay connected to the 1L community given that there is no official housing set aside for law students?

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Hello all, I'm just wondering how easy it is for first-years to live near their peers and stay connected to the 1L community given that there is no official housing set aside for law students?

Super easy, since most 1Ls are at Pinnacle, Alexan Garrett, and Heights at LaSalle.

Seriously, over 40 1Ls are at Pinnacle this year. And plenty of 2Ls, too.

zz888

Postby zz888 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:49 am

Most people live at the heights, lofts, trinity, and pinnacle. Havent heard of the other ones but then again I dont venture those far off lands

kathj06

Postby kathj06 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 am

Narrowed down my decision between 3 schools and definitely leaning towards Duke! I have concerns b/c I am a car-less city person. My parents live in Chapel Hill and I could always borrow a car if I get desperate, but ideally I'd like to live in one of the complexes within a mile of the school (Belmont, Lofts, 605 West) and bike/walk around Durham. I am currently in a big city and walk/bike everywhere...I know having a car would make life more convenient, but is it absolutely necessary? Also, since students are more spread out, does that complicate things when it comes to bar review/going out? I enjoy being able to subway/taxi/uber back home after going out, and the whole idea of having to go back to the days of designated drivers seems like a drag. Are taxis hard to come by in Durham?

Thanks!

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:44 pm

kathj06 wrote:Narrowed down my decision between 3 schools and definitely leaning towards Duke! I have concerns b/c I am a car-less city person. My parents live in Chapel Hill and I could always borrow a car if I get desperate, but ideally I'd like to live in one of the complexes within a mile of the school (Belmont, Lofts, 605 West) and bike/walk around Durham. I am currently in a big city and walk/bike everywhere...I know having a car would make life more convenient, but is it absolutely necessary? Also, since students are more spread out, does that complicate things when it comes to bar review/going out? I enjoy being able to subway/taxi/uber back home after going out, and the whole idea of having to go back to the days of designated drivers seems like a drag. Are taxis hard to come by in Durham?

Thanks!

I'm a 0L, but just FYI, Uber and Lyft have yet to enter the Research Triangle. As someone who just started learning the joys of Lyft, this was disappointing. However, there are plenty of more important things in my decision (albeit, I have a car).

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:43 am

kathj06 wrote:Narrowed down my decision between 3 schools and definitely leaning towards Duke! I have concerns b/c I am a car-less city person. My parents live in Chapel Hill and I could always borrow a car if I get desperate, but ideally I'd like to live in one of the complexes within a mile of the school (Belmont, Lofts, 605 West) and bike/walk around Durham. I am currently in a big city and walk/bike everywhere...I know having a car would make life more convenient, but is it absolutely necessary? Also, since students are more spread out, does that complicate things when it comes to bar review/going out? I enjoy being able to subway/taxi/uber back home after going out, and the whole idea of having to go back to the days of designated drivers seems like a drag. Are taxis hard to come by in Durham?

Thanks!

Taxis are easy to come by. Rides with fellow students are also easy to come by. Plenty of students are carless and while it's a pain, they manage just fine. There's a Kroger in biking distance from the Belmont, too, so if you have a basket or something you could easily get groceries without a car.

kathj06

Postby kathj06 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:20 pm

racrfish wrote:

Thanks!

Taxis are easy to come by. Rides with fellow students are also easy to come by. Plenty of students are carless and while it's a pain, they manage just fine. There's a Kroger in biking distance from the Belmont, too, so if you have a basket or something you could easily get groceries without a car.

Good to hear--thanks!

carolinainmymind

Postby carolinainmymind » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Just got an email from Uber saying UberX is now in Raleigh. Wondering if they only serve the immediate Raleigh area though. Please expand to Durham, Uber.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:04 pm

carolinainmymind wrote:Just got an email from Uber saying UberX is now in Raleigh. Wondering if they only serve the immediate Raleigh area though. Please expand to Durham, Uber.

That would be quite amazing!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Ask and you shall receive: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/24/ ... nches.html

"Uber is initially just providing coverage in Raleigh and to the airport. Within the next few weeks, the service expects to expand to Durham, Chapel Hill and other Triangle communities."

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm

beachbum wrote:Ask and you shall receive: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/24/ ... nches.html

"Uber is initially just providing coverage in Raleigh and to the airport. Within the next few weeks, the service expects to expand to Durham, Chapel Hill and other Triangle communities."

Oh awesome! This includes Lyft as well!

greeksalad

Postby greeksalad » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:56 am

Kinda silly but is there a student lounge with a microwave? Was thinking about packing a lunch now and then rather than buying in the cafe and, contrary to my user name, warm food would be nice :mrgreen:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 am

greeksalad wrote:Kinda silly but is there a student lounge with a microwave? Was thinking about packing a lunch now and then rather than buying in the cafe and, contrary to my user name, warm food would be nice :mrgreen:

Yes

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:00 am

greeksalad wrote:Kinda silly but is there a student lounge with a microwave? Was thinking about packing a lunch now and then rather than buying in the cafe and, contrary to my user name, warm food would be nice :mrgreen:

That's not silly. That'd be convenient as hell.

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm

beachbum wrote:

Yes

In fact there are 4 or 5, and a refrigerator also.

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Our cafe is also tragically overpriced for what you get, so you will save a lot of money if you do this. It's pretty common.

I think we might have a different caterer for the cafe next year though so maybe it will be better.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Merylian wrote:

Our cafe is also tragically overpriced for what you get, so you will save a lot of money if you do this. It's pretty common.

I think we might have a different caterer for the cafe next year though so maybe it will be better.

This cannot be emphasized enough. The Refectory (cafe) is not good food, and is very expensive for what you get (which is, again, not good food). Hopefully the new caterer will change things around. But, barring that, your best bet for nearby dining is Fuqua next door or the Bryan Center. Or you can bring your lunch. Because, if I haven't been clear, the Refectory is about five stars short of a five-star restaurant. Good brownies, though.

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:27 pm

beachbum wrote:
Merylian wrote:

This cannot be emphasized enough. The Refectory (cafe) is not good food, and is very expensive for what you get (which is, again, not good food). Hopefully the new caterer will change things around. But, barring that, your best bet for nearby dining is Fuqua next door or the Bryan Center. Or you can bring your lunch. Because, if I haven't been clear, the Refectory is about five stars short of a five-star restaurant. Good brownies, though.

It's weird though because apparently Duke (the university at large, not the law school) touts it as the best food available on campus. Two weeks ago there were a ton of high schoolers eating there for lunch because they were told it was so good during their campus tours.

Postby 06102016 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Serett

Postby Serett » Mon May 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Any current students who can weigh in on how imperative it is that one's laptop runs Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate or 8.1 Pro for its OS as opposed to the normal Home/Home Premium versions, as the law school recommends? I'm tempted to disregard the requirement (as it's both novel to me, unlikely in my mind to be necessary for a law student's computer usage, more expensive, and unique when comparing Duke Law's requirements to a few peer schools), but I don't want to do so if Duke truly does something odd (e.g. uses an exam program that only functions properly in Pro, or legitimately runs its wifi in an enterprise-only mode). I would be surprised if a normal laptop is insufficient, but I figured it best to check before spurning Duke's advice.

bkraut1

Postby bkraut1 » Mon May 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Duke 0L here, starting in the fall.

(1) What would you recommend doing to prepare for 1L year? Academic or otherwise.
(2) Where would you recommend living as a 1L?
(3) How many hours/week did you study on average (not including exam periods)? I've heard from people spread throughout the T14 that 6-8 hrs/day is pretty standard. Agree?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 05, 2014 7:51 pm

bkraut1 wrote:Duke 0L here, starting in the fall.

(1) What would you recommend doing to prepare for 1L year? Academic or otherwise.
(2) Where would you recommend living as a 1L?
(3) How many hours/week did you study on average (not including exam periods)? I've heard from people spread throughout the T14 that 6-8 hrs/day is pretty standard. Agree?

1. I think the most valuable thing you can do going in to law school (or, at least, the most valuable thing I did) is to get a jump on the job search. Identify and research the firms in your target market(s). Reach out to alumni at those firms. Prepare your resume (Career Services publishes a pretty helpful guide); maybe write a stock cover letter or two. Doing a lot of this work now will pay off later. Otherwise, maybe read Getting to Maybe. And take some time to relax. That'll pay off later, too.

2. Addington Farms, Alexan Garrett, or Pinnacle Ridge.

3. The answer to this is going to vary wildly from person to person. And you're going to have to figure out what works best for you. Some people can get off studying only a few hours a day; others aren't happy unless they can watch the sunrise from the library. I was more in the first group, and I suspect that many in the second group (or who claim to be in the second group) are either a) exaggerating, b) factoring in a lot of Facebook/gchat/mindless surfing time, and/or c) doing a lot of unnecessary studying because they believe more studying = better grades, or because they're simply paranoid/afraid of falling behind. But, again, you're going to have to figure a lot of this out for yourself.

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Serett wrote:Any current students who can weigh in on how imperative it is that one's laptop runs Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate or 8.1 Pro for its OS as opposed to the normal Home/Home Premium versions, as the law school recommends? I'm tempted to disregard the requirement (as it's both novel to me, unlikely in my mind to be necessary for a law student's computer usage, more expensive, and unique when comparing Duke Law's requirements to a few peer schools), but I don't want to do so if Duke truly does something odd (e.g. uses an exam program that only functions properly in Pro, or legitimately runs its wifi in an enterprise-only mode). I would be surprised if a normal laptop is insufficient, but I figured it best to check before spurning Duke's advice.

The only thing your OS really matters for is electronic blue book, so as long as your OS works with that you're fine.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”