Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Brady199

Bronze

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by Brady199 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:08 am

Thanks folks! This is very helpful indeed.

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:23 am

Serett wrote:
Brady199 wrote:So my question is whether we have the time to dodo this stuff other than the softball league. That's mandatory right?
For another perspective:

Many people do softball, but it's not mandatory. I and multiple people in my section never went, while others participated in every game, and still others played or attended just a bit. If it sounds enjoyable to you, it's manageable, though.

There's also a bowling league, but I recall its schedule (Wed. nights) working poorly with the 1L schedule.

Student orgs tend to be minimal work, especially first semester. Even the most active ones, like ACS and Fed Soc, don't require much time. Feel free to join these almost at-will.

Pro bono projects can vary. Slack mentioned Innocence Project being on the more time-consuming side. The Veterans Tax Assistance project is also probably among the more time-consuming (depending on how they have people sign-up or how many hours they require, if any; not sure, didn't do it myself). Lawyer on the Line assigns files on a volunteer basis, so you can have many hours or few, at your will. The DACA Renewal Clinic, if it happens again, wasn't very time-consuming.

I didn't do moot court (past what was required), the transactional deal activity, or mock trial, so I'm not sure how time-consuming they are (well, I do still know that moot court is inconveniently time-consuming around 1L Spring finals). But you don't actually have to worry about moot court until second semester, at which point you'll hear a lot about it and be in a better position to decide how far to take it.

Maybe don't attempt to do all of this, but you'll be able to try out multiple that interest you without trouble.
The transactional law competition was a fun time--made me decide I want to do transactional work. I highly recommend.

Plus, it's typically scheduled so as not to conflict with other 1L activities, so it's an easy resume builder.

: )

New

Post by : ) » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:42 am

Any opinion from current Dukies on University Apartments/University Commons?

And also some of those random townhouses/smaller apartments off Erwin Road? It seems like they house a lot of international people.

I guess I am just worried about being isolated socially if I live closer to campus away from everyone.

Also this is just a general question, but roommates during 1L... Good idea or bad? I've had roommates nearly all my life, but I also didn't have a demanding job or school.

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:44 am

Any 3Ls/grads who have had Krawiec? She's teaching BA this fall.

Serett

Post by Serett » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 am

PB&J.D. wrote:Any 3Ls/grads who have had Krawiec? She's teaching BA this fall.
Well, a decade ago, apparently Harvard students wanted to bone her.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DOOK101

New

Post by DOOK101 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:51 am

Any insight as to when journal selections typically come out? I'm getting a little anxious here. DLJ all the way.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Welcome to TLS

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:20 pm

fishpaste1

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by fishpaste1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by fishpaste1 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DOOK101

New

Post by DOOK101 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:18 am

slackademic wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
DOOK101 wrote:Any insight as to when journal selections typically come out? I'm getting a little anxious here. DLJ all the way.
You're going to be a while. Note grades weren't even due until Thursday. Not sure if that's true for every journal, but I think it's standard across the board
That's true for every journal.
How does that even work? The grades were "due" to journals, and then you all look at GPAs + scores and decide? I can't imagine that should take very long once they're graded.

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:24 am

DOOK101 wrote:
slackademic wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:
DOOK101 wrote:Any insight as to when journal selections typically come out? I'm getting a little anxious here. DLJ all the way.
You're going to be a while. Note grades weren't even due until Thursday. Not sure if that's true for every journal, but I think it's standard across the board
That's true for every journal.
How does that even work? The grades were "due" to journals, and then you all look at GPAs + scores and decide? I can't imagine that should take very long once they're graded.
Just distract yourself by going out and having fun in your summer location. You probably won't be singing the same tune next summer when you're busy and journals are a pain.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 am

DOOK101

New

Post by DOOK101 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:38 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by DOOK101 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paahhgg

New

Post by paahhgg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Hello, incoming 1L here,

I actually had a question about the fall 1L schedule. What is this LARW week that lands on Fall Break? Is this required? Or can we go home for the week?

Thanks in advance.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:45 pm

paahhgg wrote:Hello, incoming 1L here,

I actually had a question about the fall 1L schedule. What is this LARW week that lands on Fall Break? Is this required? Or can we go home for the week?

Thanks in advance.
Fall Break is technically deemed 1L Writing Week. You use a portion of that week to write your graded memo. How much of it you use depends on how much you procrastinate and how much work you plan to put into your memo. However, there are no classes and you can go home and work on it from there. IIRC, most of my friends stayed in Durham last year, FWIW.

FeraFera

Bronze

Post by FeraFera » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:05 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:Any 3Ls/grads who have had Krawiec? She's teaching BA this fall.

I can't actually be helpful, but she was a one-day guest lecturer in a class I was in and I thought her lecture was super boring. But she was talking about taboo trades or something; not anything remotely BA-like.

MadwomanintheAttic

Bronze

Post by MadwomanintheAttic » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Hello. Incoming 1L here. I'm really interested in bowling or softball. How feasible is it to participate during 1L and how do you sign-up to be part of a team for either?

Also, is there any type of printing allowance that students are given? Like so many pages a semester or school year?

Thanks in advance

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:44 pm

MadwomanintheAttic wrote:Hello. Incoming 1L here. I'm really interested in bowling or softball. How feasible is it to participate during 1L and how do you sign-up to be part of a team for either?

Also, is there any type of printing allowance that students are given? Like so many pages a semester or school year?

Thanks in advance
It's feasible; I wouldn't do both because softball games are typically on Tuesday & Thursday, while I believe bowling is Wednesday (?), so that can be taxing on time with the M/W/TH class schedule. Your section will choose a softball captain and they will do the roster sign-up (emails are sent to everyone before the season starts). I imagine bowling is similar.

Printing is something like $150-200 per year. You won't run out unless you print excessively.

kalcifer

New

Post by kalcifer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:36 am

PB&J.D. wrote:
MadwomanintheAttic wrote:Hello. Incoming 1L here. I'm really interested in bowling or softball. How feasible is it to participate during 1L and how do you sign-up to be part of a team for either?

Thanks in advance
It's feasible; I wouldn't do both because softball games are typically on Tuesday & Thursday, while I believe bowling is Wednesday (?), so that can be taxing on time with the M/W/TH class schedule. Your section will choose a softball captain and they will do the roster sign-up (emails are sent to everyone before the season starts). I imagine bowling is similar.

Printing is something like $150-200 per year. You won't run out unless you print excessively.
I believe it's way more than $200 now, and even if you were to run out you can get a refill for free.

As for the softball and bowling. Just do softball in the fall and bowling in the spring semester. Softball season is fall only unless you do the UVA softball invitational.

Bowling is not divided by sections. You can make your own team of 4 or 5 and just play. I know some sections took softball seriously (ours absolutely didn't and had way more fun than those gunners) but I don't remember anyone taking bowling too seriously. It was just students and professors playing and having fun.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00 pm

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 pm

What is this Blue Zone Commuter (BCOM) lot that 2Ls can sign up for? The parking site says that Blue Zone Commuter is for Blue Zone lots 1, 2, and 3, but I can't figure out where that is. It's twice the price of Green Zone, which is obv shit. Am I disillusioned to hope that perhaps what ever this BCOM lot is is an improvement?

Also, is it possible to get a car pool pass with another person to park in the front of Chem lot?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:52 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:What is this Blue Zone Commuter (BCOM) lot that 2Ls can sign up for? The parking site says that Blue Zone Commuter is for Blue Zone lots 1, 2, and 3, but I can't figure out where that is. It's twice the price of Green Zone, which is obv shit. Am I disillusioned to hope that perhaps what ever this BCOM lot is is an improvement?

Also, is it possible to get a car pool pass with another person to park in the front of Chem lot?
I don't know which particular Blue Zone lots are the commuter lots versus the regular Blue Zone, but based on my knowledge of where the Blue Zone lots are generally, I strongly doubt the Blue Zone Commuter lots are anything more than nominally closer than the regular Blue Zone lots. The Blue Zone is to the East of Wallace Wade, and I'd bet that the "commuter" lots within it are just the closest of the large area to Towerview. That's not much (or any) closer than a number of Green lots (e.g., the Eden lots directly across the street), while it's closer than the furthest Green lots (on Duke University Road). I don't think Blue Commuter is any more worth double the cost of a Green permit this year than regular Blue was last year.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Follow up the parking pass question for incoming 1Ls. Looking at the map, the distance to the law school seems to be roughly equal between the two, but blue is twice as expensive. Is this because there are many more blue lots? Is this worth it?

MadwomanintheAttic

Bronze

Post by MadwomanintheAttic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:50 pm

@Winston I was just coming here to ask that very question. You beat me to it :)

se627

New

Post by se627 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:16 pm

complicated question. if i remember correctly, the blue lot was completely sold out when parking opened for 1ls last year, so no one really had a choice, and everyone basically ended up with green lot passes. that said, i have never parked in the blue lot, so i cannot attest to its quality. but, i can say that you cannot get any worse than the green lot. this past year, the green lot was oversold, and there were plenty of days where there was no space to park, despite the fact that you had a pass. (granted, part of this was due to the construction equipment for the new football field that was parked in the lot. but, even before that began, it was difficult to find spaces at some points). at the beginning of the year, there was an overflow gravel lot across cameron blvd., but even that was rezoned and is now technically faculty club parking, i believe. the situation was so ridiculous, though, people with green passes still parked in it. not sure if they will be stricter with that this year.

as i understand it, the blue lot has upward of 1,300 spots in it compared to the 550 or so in the main green lot, so it should theoretically be easier to get a spot. however, i think the blue lot shared with undergraduates, so hard to say for sure. (maybe a 3l that has parked in it in the past can chime in). also note that the green zone parking passes will also allow you to park in the two smaller lots on twerview past wannamaker.

all this to say, you are right that the two lots are pretty much equidistant from the law school, but after the hassle that was the green lot, i wouldn't recommend it if it can be avoided.

one final thing to consider is what time you will be getting to school. if you are an early riser and plan on arriving and studying at least an hour to an hour and a half before classes start at 9:15 or 9:30, then you should be fine with green lot parking. but, if you like to roll in at the very last second and hussle to get to class, then you may want to try for the bigger lot (assuming blue will be available), otherwise you will inevitably find yourself circling the green lot/campus wondering where you can and cannot park. lots of people in that situation sometimes ended up having to pay to park for up to 4 hours in the visitors lot across from fuqua and then move their cars later or risk getting ticketed.

hope this helps!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”