Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
randawg91

New

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by randawg91 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 pm

After reading Getting to Maybe, I've been trained to fight against the IRAC style of analysis/writing. But when doing the summer case briefing assignment, the prompt specifically references the the IRAC (or FIRAC) method as the one to follow. Any advice on what they typically look for at Duke in terms of exam answers?

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 am

randawg91 wrote:After reading Getting to Maybe, I've been trained to fight against the IRAC style of analysis/writing. But when doing the summer case briefing assignment, the prompt specifically references the the IRAC (or FIRAC) method as the one to follow. Any advice on what they typically look for at Duke in terms of exam answers?
On exams, always IRAC. It can be a loose form of it but that's still the basic structure you always use.

Frankly you'll do it by second nature anyway, that's the logical way to write exams and I never had to consciously think about it on any of my exams.

And all LARW professors will make you write in that format too, or a variant of it like IREAC.

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 am

Also some professors will do their cold calls in IRAC style. Coleman, who teaches the briefing class at LEAD week, comes to mind.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Anyone care to rank Durham's three movie theaters? Guardians of the Galaxy beckons :P

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Serett wrote:Anyone care to rank Durham's three movie theaters? Guardians of the Galaxy beckons :P
Southpoint is always a solid option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:35 am

The AMC at Southpoint is nicest I think. The Carmike on Martin Luther King Jr. is sort of dumpy but you will *never* have to deal with a crowd of any sort there. The Regal over at Northgate mall is ok I think? I've never been but apparently that area is not the safest part of town so I wouldn't do something like an 11:30pm showing over there.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 pm

Sounds good, thanks guys. AMC's the only chain I've been to out of them, anyway, so Southpoint it is. I'm sure I'll take a look at the other two at a matinee eventually.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:29 pm

With Thanksgiving weekend landing a week prior to the start of 1L exams, did you all find yourselves able to easily take time for the full holiday weekend? I know everyone is different in how they prepare and how much they will need to do to study for exams, but I'm just looking for some perspective. My brother and sister-in-law were thinking of booking flights to Durham for the long Thanksgiving weekend.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Are there places around here to go tubing? By that I mean nothing more than going with some people in two separate cars, leaving one at the exit-point, and floating down a river in a tube with some cold beverages for an hour or two.

I found the canoe guide on the Eno River site which details the canoe drop-off points. Has anyone done this before? If so, do rangers patrol for IDs and life jackets? Because they have in my experiences elsewhere.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/enri/activities.php

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:40 am

SplitMyPants wrote:With Thanksgiving weekend landing a week prior to the start of 1L exams, did you all find yourselves able to easily take time for the full holiday weekend? I know everyone is different in how they prepare and how much they will need to do to study for exams, but I'm just looking for some perspective. My brother and sister-in-law were thinking of booking flights to Durham for the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Haha absolutely not. I suppose you could take the whole time off, but I wouldn't suggest it. I only took thanksgiving day off and worked at least 6 hours on the other days. Talking to others, it sounds like this was fairly typical.

Exams are too close to Thanksgiving to take it easy over the weekend. 1L grades matter if you want a job after graduation. Studying should come first.

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:58 am

A little more detail on why taking the whole time off isn't a good idea -

The break (obviously) means that there are no classes. I have found that studying for exams/outlining is much more effective when you can sit down, uninterrupted, and really engage with the course materials. Not having class for most of the week means that you are free to sit uninterrupted and focus. There is no requirement that you stop working at any particular time to go to class, or deal with some other law school thing. You have time to get your ish done. And you won't be as pressed for time over break as you will be during the Reading period.

In addition to preparing for finals, you should use the Thanksgiving break to get applications for 1L summer ready to go. You can't apply for anything before Dec 1, but you can have those materials ready to go at midnight the day applications open. Anything application you get don't over the break is one you don't have to do on Dec 1/during finals/over Christmas break. As with law school applications, early submission is always better.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:17 pm

intlsplitr wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:With Thanksgiving weekend landing a week prior to the start of 1L exams, did you all find yourselves able to easily take time for the full holiday weekend? I know everyone is different in how they prepare and how much they will need to do to study for exams, but I'm just looking for some perspective. My brother and sister-in-law were thinking of booking flights to Durham for the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Haha absolutely not. I suppose you could take the whole time off, but I wouldn't suggest it. I only took thanksgiving day off and worked at least 6 hours on the other days. Talking to others, it sounds like this was fairly typical.

Exams are too close to Thanksgiving to take it easy over the weekend. 1L grades matter if you want a job after graduation. Studying should come first.
Thanks for the input! This is good to know.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm

intlsplitr wrote:

Rising 2L here and I cannot disagree more (while I do respect your opinion). I think that different study methods work for different people. For me, the break gave me time to take a quick step away from the books and get some rest before the final push (no pun intended). Bottom-line is that every person will have a unique situation and how much you study depends on:

1. If you go home
2. Where home is
3. How much outlining you have done by the break
4. How comfortable you feel with the material

I know people who studied a ton and people who didn't pick up a book the entire break, I could not see any correlation between studying over winter break and preparedness come finals time. My overall point is, do what works for you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:40 pm

FlowBro wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

Rising 2L here and I cannot disagree more (while I do respect your opinion). I think that different study methods work for different people. For me, the break gave me time to take a quick step away from the books and get some rest before the final push (no pun intended). Bottom-line is that every person will have a unique situation and how much you study depends on:

1. If you go home
2. Where home is

I know people who studied a ton and people who didn't pick up a book the entire break, I could not see any correlation between studying over winter break and preparedness come finals time. My overall point is, do what works for you!
I think I inadvertently de-emphisized the 'do what works for you' ness of my answer. For me (and some others), there was no way to take time off and be prepared. Others, including my esteemed colleague FlowBro, apparently could take the whole break.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:16 pm

intlsplitr wrote: I think I inadvertently de-emphisized the 'do what works for you' ness of my answer. For me (and some others), there was no way to take time off and be prepared. Others, including my esteemed colleague FlowBro, apparently could take the whole break.
I kind of figured this would be the case. And since I have no way of knowing at this point, I'm gonna go ahead and tell them to visit another weekend. Thanks guys

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 pm

intlsplitr wrote:
FlowBro wrote:
intlsplitr wrote:

1. If you go home
2. Where home is

I think I inadvertently de-emphisized the 'do what works for you' ness of my answer. For me (and some others), there was no way to take time off and be prepared. Others, including my esteemed colleague FlowBro, apparently could take the whole break.
You're exactly right (I appreciate being referred to as your "esteemed colleague", it has a nice ring to it)

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:36 am

SplitMyPants wrote:Are there places around here to go tubing? By that I mean nothing more than going with some people in two separate cars, leaving one at the exit-point, and floating down a river in a tube with some cold beverages for an hour or two.

I found the canoe guide on the Eno River site which details the canoe drop-off points. Has anyone done this before? If so, do rangers patrol for IDs and life jackets? Because they have in my experiences elsewhere.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/enri/activities.php
It's only been a day, but I'm going to bump this in the hopes of getting to go do this before classes start.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 am

I have gone canoeing on the Eno; the canoeable stretch we were in was really short. The river doesn't seem particularly tube friendly, unless you want to walk for stretches. Make sure to check both the city and state park. The state park merges with a Durham city park (also called Eno River). There are parking lots on both ends, but I couldn't tell you if one can tube all the way.

The river through Umstead State Park might be doable. The river seems a little wider/deeper than the Eno. Not sure about parking on both ends though.

I haven't ever seen rangers in either park.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

intlsplitr wrote:I have gone canoeing on the Eno; the canoeable stretch we were in was really short. The river doesn't seem particularly tube friendly, unless you want to walk for stretches. Make sure to check both the city and state park. The state park merges with a Durham city park (also called Eno River). There are parking lots on both ends, but I couldn't tell you if one can tube all the way.

The river through Umstead State Park might be doable. The river seems a little wider/deeper than the Eno. Not sure about parking on both ends though.

I haven't ever seen rangers in either park.
Awesome. Thanks!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Any suggestions on a good, local place (ie not Buffalo Wild Wings) to host a fantasy draft for 14 people?

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Any suggestions on a good, local place (ie not Buffalo Wild Wings) to host a fantasy draft for 14 people?
Satisfaction, Tylers Taproom, and Tobacco Road Sports Cafe are all solid options.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm

AllDangle wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Any suggestions on a good, local place (ie not Buffalo Wild Wings) to host a fantasy draft for 14 people?
Satisfaction, Tylers Taproom, and Tobacco Road Sports Cafe are all solid options.
Idk about the others, but Tyler's looked like a good spot when I was in town last month. They have a restaurant area & a separate section with pool tables, darts, TVs and such.

Also, Split with the 180 commissioner status.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:00 pm

This might not really be specific to Duke Law, but what the heck...

How essential is it to have a good laptop for law school? In other words, can one go through 1L the old fashioned way (pen and paper) without much fanfare? I never got into the habit of taking notes on computers and, now that I think about it, I would prefer not to. Are exams all taken on the laptop, pen and paper, or does it vary by class/professor?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:45 pm

retaking23 wrote:This might not really be specific to Duke Law, but what the heck...

How essential is it to have a good laptop for law school? In other words, can one go through 1L the old fashioned way (pen and paper) without much fanfare? I never got into the habit of taking notes on computers and, now that I think about it, I would prefer not to. Are exams all taken on the laptop, pen and paper, or does it vary by class/professor?
Strictly speaking, you don't need a laptop. However, you're probably going to be at some disadvantage in classes that give "traditional" (or, "write as much shit as you can in three hours") exams, if only because your peers will be able to type faster than you'll be able to write.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 pm

beachbum wrote:
retaking23 wrote:This might not really be specific to Duke Law, but what the heck...

Strictly speaking, you don't need a laptop. However, you're probably going to be at some disadvantage in classes that give "traditional" (or, "write as much shit as you can in three hours") exams, if only because your peers will be able to type faster than you'll be able to write.
Ah, gotcha. Nice to know contemporary Luddites aren't necessarily doomed at Duke. How many traditional exam classes can one reasonably expect throughout 1L and law school generally? Also, can you elaborate on the disadvantage? Do people who hand write such exams typically do worse than their typing peers simply because of the speed issue you mention?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”