Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
worldwithoutend

New

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by worldwithoutend » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:26 am

amsong wrote:2. Is it common for students to rent houses, and are there any nearby neighbourhoods you would recommend? I have a big dog and I like my privacy and also want a yard (for said dog), so I'm considering renting a house instead of going into an apartment. I did a casual search and the prices didn't seem all that different from the apartments, but I don't know if I was looking at extraordinarily shitty, far or fake places.
It's not uncommon for students to move out of the apartment complexes (Pinnacle, Alexan, etc.) and into houses after 1L year. I live in a house, and I much prefer it. It's also cheaper.

I would try to find something as close to East Campus as possible. There's a lot of housing going east from Ninth Street to Duke Street, with Club Blvd as your northern border. There are also houses south of East Campus but north of W. Chapel Hill Street, in the little triangle between East and West Campus. To the southwest of West Campus (heading down Anderson) is the Duke Forest. Some people have found nice houses there, too. There are also people who live in between Durham and Chapel Hill. Feel free to PM me for more information.
amsong wrote:3. A family friend tells me that allergies are the fucking worst in the springtime there. Is this true?
Yeah, I think this is true. I don't have allergies, but I know people complain. On the bright side, it is absolutely beautiful in the spring. The whole place is in bloom. You can smell the wisteria just driving to class. The weather is perfect. I've never lived anywhere with a better springtime.

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:20 pm

How much guidance does the career office provide in helping 1Ls find their summer job? I know that the NYU student I spoke to indicated that NYU's office sent a lot of information and emails regarding 1L summer job searching after December. Is this the same for Duke, or are the students mostly left to search on their own?

What sort of things do 1Ls tend to do for the summer? It seems, earlier in the thread, that not a few of them get 1L SAs, which is impressive!

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:56 pm

beautyistruth wrote:How much guidance does the career office provide in helping 1Ls find their summer job? I know that the NYU student I spoke to indicated that NYU's office sent a lot of information and emails regarding 1L summer job searching after December. Is this the same for Duke, or are the students mostly left to search on their own?

What sort of things do 1Ls tend to do for the summer? It seems, earlier in the thread, that not a few of them get 1L SAs, which is impressive!
As I remember, career services starts to send out weekly emails with job and internship listings after a certain point. They set up mock interviews, give individual resume guidance. They put on a mini-OCI in the spring of 1L with mostly local employers - but I don't know how many jobs actually come out of it, especially for people who can't make a case for wanting to work in NC, and for that reason not everybody participates.

You don't really need career services for 1L job searching, though, and I think it would be a mistake to rely on them at any school. You can do pretty much whatever you want your 1L summer (accepting, of course, that it might not be paid). The best thing you can do is figure out what interests you and what's going to give you some legal experience.

There were a few but not a lot of SAs going around my year (current 3L), but it sounds like that's changed a little. Common 1L jobs included internships with federal judges and US Attorneys. Others intern for government agencies. A fair number do legal aid or intern for nonprofits. Some work as research assistants. The JD/LLMs go Hong Kong or Geneva, where they get set up with work.

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:10 pm

What constitutes making a case for staying in NC?

Also concerning research assistant positions. Are there any professors who take on research assistants during the school year? Are these positions paid or unpaid? How common/scarce are they?

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:30 pm

beautyistruth wrote:What constitutes making a case for staying in NC?
North Carolina firms know that most Duke students have their sights set on NYC or DC, and they're not likely to hire you your 1L summer unless they think you actually plan on coming back the following summer -- and after graduation. If you tell a firm that you want to stay in NC, you should also be able to say why (for example - my family lives here, my fiance works here, etc).
beautyistruth wrote:Also concerning research assistant positions. Are there any professors who take on research assistants during the school year? Are these positions paid or unpaid? How common/scarce are they?
Yes, and they're relatively common. I don't think they typically allow 1Ls to do it, though. They are paid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 pm

With the understanding that 1L SAs are rare and difficult to obtain everywhere, do you think that Duke students seem to be better set up to get one? I ask this because all the students/alumni I've spoken to from NYU indicate that they barely knew anybody who obtained 1L SAs, wheres earlier on this thread, some Duke students seemed to know more people who had gotten 1L SAs, mainly in Southern markets. Is this just an inaccurate representation due to sample size, or does Duke better set you up for a 1L SA given grades and ties? Is it because Duke has more recognition in Southern markets such as Birmingham and Texas were 1L SAs are more common, or because students at Duke try harder for these positions knowing that they wouldn't be getting guaranteed funding for PI work?

Thanks so much to the students in this thread. You have all been so helpful in the decision making process :)

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:02 pm

beautyistruth wrote:With the understanding that 1L SAs are rare and difficult to obtain everywhere, do you think that Duke students seem to be better set up to get one? I ask this because all the students/alumni I've spoken to from NYU indicate that they barely knew anybody who obtained 1L SAs, wheres earlier on this thread, some Duke students seemed to know more people who had gotten 1L SAs, mainly in Southern markets. Is this just an inaccurate representation due to sample size, or does Duke better set you up for a 1L SA given grades and ties? Is it because Duke has more recognition in Southern markets such as Birmingham and Texas were 1L SAs are more common, or because students at Duke try harder for these positions knowing that they wouldn't be getting guaranteed funding for PI work?

Thanks so much to the students in this thread. You have all been so helpful in the decision making process :)
I think it's mostly because of the larger number of students targeting Southern markets.

Also, there is funding for those doing PI work their 1L summer. I'm not up on the details, though.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:28 pm

worldwithoutend wrote:
amsong wrote:2. Is it common for students to rent houses, and are there any nearby neighbourhoods you would recommend? I have a big dog and I like my privacy and also want a yard (for said dog), so I'm considering renting a house instead of going into an apartment. I did a casual search and the prices didn't seem all that different from the apartments, but I don't know if I was looking at extraordinarily shitty, far or fake places.
It's not uncommon for students to move out of the apartment complexes (Pinnacle, Alexan, etc.) and into houses after 1L year. I live in a house, and I much prefer it. It's also cheaper.

I would try to find something as close to East Campus as possible. There's a lot of housing going east from Ninth Street to Duke Street, with Club Blvd as your northern border. There are also houses south of East Campus but north of W. Chapel Hill Street, in the little triangle between East and West Campus. To the southwest of West Campus (heading down Anderson) is the Duke Forest. Some people have found nice houses there, too. There are also people who live in between Durham and Chapel Hill. Feel free to PM me for more information.
amsong wrote:3. A family friend tells me that allergies are the fucking worst in the springtime there. Is this true?
Yeah, I think this is true. I don't have allergies, but I know people complain. On the bright side, it is absolutely beautiful in the spring. The whole place is in bloom. You can smell the wisteria just driving to class. The weather is perfect. I've never lived anywhere with a better springtime.
Thank you so much!

One more question: what does LEAD week consist of, exactly, and why do I have to go? (I ask grumpily as a summer starter who has orientation in May.) (Yes I know I should go meet all of my new fall classmates, but mom, I don't waaaant to.) (JK everyone will probably be super cool.)

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

amsong wrote: One more question: what does LEAD week consist of, exactly, and why do I have to go? (I ask grumpily as a summer starter who has orientation in May.) (Yes I know I should go meet all of my new fall classmates, but mom, I don't waaaant to.) (JK everyone will probably be super cool.)
Haha. Here's the schedule from last year: http://law.duke.edu/students/orientation

It's not particularly exciting, but it's not that bad, either. As I remember, people were in high spirits, and I met a lot of my classmates in those first few days. You've got three years to become smug about law school events like this, and there's no need to rush it. At least try to enjoy the free food.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Wed May 01, 2013 11:00 am

worldwithoutend wrote:
amsong wrote: One more question: what does LEAD week consist of, exactly, and why do I have to go? (I ask grumpily as a summer starter who has orientation in May.) (Yes I know I should go meet all of my new fall classmates, but mom, I don't waaaant to.) (JK everyone will probably be super cool.)
Haha. Here's the schedule from last year: http://law.duke.edu/students/orientation

It's not particularly exciting, but it's not that bad, either. As I remember, people were in high spirits, and I met a lot of my classmates in those first few days. You've got three years to become smug about law school events like this, and there's no need to rush it. At least try to enjoy the free food.
Free food, you say? In that case... :)

(Thanks!)

thisisunexpected

New

Post by thisisunexpected » Fri May 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Do you have any sense of what the PI job prospects are like? The percentage isn't very high, but is that probably mostly self-selection, or is there just not a lot of support for that?

PM2353

New

Post by PM2353 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm

If any current Duke Law students are perusing this thread, could you help out a 0L and speak about your thoughts on the "bridge to practice" fellowships? Do these school funded jobs really help students find real employment? Are students in the program optimistic of the outcome of these short term positions?

I'm hoping for other outcomes but in case I find myself in a bind and unemployed, I want to know what this program has to offer. I read what was on the Duke website about the program but I feel like TLS Duke Students can give a more objective view about it. My goal is BigLaw but if I miss out I would thank god for a government job or a PI job that would help me pay off my loans.

Overall, Im looking at substantial loans and Id like to know if the bridge to practice provides actual help to unemployed students. Also, does everyone who applies to "BTP" actually get in?

Thanks

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat May 25, 2013 8:08 pm

slack_academic wrote:Hey guys, which parking lot should I pick for buying a permit? What do most students go with?
You a 1L? Because if you are, you don't get to pick. You will be parking in the Green Zone.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:45 pm

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:08 pm

slack_academic wrote:Without IP or anything distinctive work experience, what are the requirements for BigLaw in:
1. NYC?
2. D.C.?
3. L.A.?
I'm curious to this as well. Not sure it's answerable though

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 pm

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:20 am

slack_academic wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
slack_academic wrote:Without IP or anything distinctive work experience, what are the requirements for BigLaw in:
1. NYC?
2. D.C.?
3. L.A.?
I'm curious to this as well. Not sure it's answerable though
Just general grade cutoffs.
I know an awkward guy with a sub-3.0 that landed a BigLaw spot, and a few guys just under median that didn't. OCI is a very difficult process to predict, but the general rules are these:

1. As soon as you get spring grades (and probably before) start planning for OCI. Nothing you do your 1L summer should take precedence. Learn about firms and what they do. Meet lawyers, talk to rising 3Ls, etc.

2. Start going on interviews well before OCI, target your home market and New York if you want to maximize your chances of getting a job.

3. Interview with as many firms at OCI as you can. You can get more once bidding's over if you email/visit on the day of.

4. Focus all your fall efforts on getting a job until you have one.

If you follow these rules, then you will get a job. I know of 0 people who worked hard on getting a job and ended up with nothing. Duke does enough for you that this is overkill in most cases, but it's almost certainly worth your time.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:40 am

metman89

New

Post by metman89 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Can you provide me with any information about Anderson Street? i.e. is it a safe area to live? I know that it is close to campus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 pm

slack_academic wrote:Any good barber shop recommendations?
The American Tobacco Barbershop will get the job done.

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01 pm

metman89 wrote:Can you provide me with any information about Anderson Street? i.e. is it a safe area to live? I know that it is close to campus.
Where exactly on Anderson Street? Feel free to PM me if you want to get into details about housing in Durham.

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 pm

slack_academic wrote:thanks for the response. How common is it to take the train up prior to 2L/during Fall of 2L to reach out to people in NYC? Also, re: 1L summer in a target market, should a person begin setting up interviews before the end of 1L? It seems the answer is yes in order to interview during 1L summer.
Maybe I can help. If you're talking about traveling to NYC for interviews, you'll do that for callbacks in the fall of your 2L year, after OCI. The firms will fly you in.

As to your second question: if you're talking about setting up interviews for 2L summer jobs, then no. You should do that over the summer, while you're in town. If you want, you can set up "informational interviews" (i.e., networking) with lawyers in your market at any time over the summer. But if you're trying to set up formal interviews for 2L summer jobs, most firms won't know what to do with you before the beginning of July. That was my experience, at least.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”