Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
34iplaw

Gold

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by 34iplaw » Tue May 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Going to try to get down to visit Duke in the next week or two (June 5th or so maybe?). I couldn't visit before classes let out, but I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to do in the area to sort of get a feeling for what life is like as a student down there... things to do, areas to stay, places to eat, etc... things one might do or areas one may live as a student.

Also, any insight into the size of the JD/MBA cohort? I imagine 10-15 per class?

thanks ahead of time!

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:50 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:i'd echo that $600-$800 estimate.

the good news is that it gets better. i think i totaled under $200 for all of 3L...
there are corners you can cut later (i.e., buying used, marked up books; renting books that you can't really mark up; or buying older editions) that, at least IMO, you shouldn't really look to do during 1L
Second this. Personally I think the best option is to buy the "like new" used books on Amazon. You can mark it up fresh and pay a much lower price.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 pm

34iplaw wrote:Going to try to get down to visit Duke in the next week or two (June 5th or so maybe?). I couldn't visit before classes let out, but I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to do in the area to sort of get a feeling for what life is like as a student down there... things to do, areas to stay, places to eat, etc... things one might do or areas one may live as a student.

Also, any insight into the size of the JD/MBA cohort? I imagine 10-15 per class?

thanks ahead of time!
Three places to go to experience law student life:
The library
Star Commons
Shooters
:lol:

Socially the Durham area will be pretty dead during the summer. Almost all of the social scenes consist of Duke students or other college/grad students. I'd recommend going to the first bar review of the year to get a true feeling of the social scene.

Each section has roughly 38 people. Most classes are two sections combined, only one or two classes with just your section during the year. Foundations has over 100 students (it's p/np and Boyle lectures for two huge sections). LARW has ~ 28 people.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 am

Cute Corgi Butt,

You responded just in time. Thank you! I noticed it's fairly dead. I got in late so I did some sleuthing at Durham Hotel, Dains, MotorCo, and Surfside. I passed by some other areas too (I was told to not bother with Brightleaf, but I'll kill some time at Shooters tomorrow.)

Lowkey thought I was going to die on my landing into CLT today, so that was fun.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:26 am

34iplaw wrote:Cute Corgi Butt,

You responded just in time. Thank you! I noticed it's fairly dead. I got in late so I did some sleuthing at Durham Hotel, Dains, MotorCo, and Surfside. I passed by some other areas too (I was told to not bother with Brightleaf, but I'll kill some time at Shooters tomorrow.)

Lowkey thought I was going to die on my landing into CLT today, so that was fun.
Was it cheaper to go to CLT? RDU is like 20 minutes from the law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 am

34iplaw wrote:I was told to not bother with Brightleaf
not sure who told you this---i love brightleaf. satisfaction, alivia's, clouds brewing, etc. are all pretty great.
but, tbf, in terms of some solo exploration its not nearly as good as like fullsteam or motorco

also, based on your username you're interested in ip. if you have any questions about duke's ip curriculum or the like, feel free to post here or pm. id be happy to answer.
you absolutely cannot go wrong with choosing duke to focus on ip

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:41 am

SplitMyPants wrote:
34iplaw wrote:I was told to not bother with Brightleaf
not sure who told you this---i love brightleaf. satisfaction, alivia's, clouds brewing, etc. are all pretty great.
but, tbf, in terms of some solo exploration its not nearly as good as like fullsteam or motorco

also, based on your username you're interested in ip. if you have any questions about duke's ip curriculum or the like, feel free to post here or pm. id be happy to answer.
you absolutely cannot go wrong with choosing duke to focus on ip
It was a bartender at Durham Hotel (started there based on random advice), but I ended up briefly checking out Brightleaf before headed out. Cloud Brewing was pretty cool (grabbed a pretzel and a few small pours) and Shooters seems like it culd be wild.

I may explore it (my background is not in tech; it's in real estate), and my username is just a jumbling of an old email + law. I guess that leaves 24 combinations, but @ what!

I appreciate the post though!
lymenheimer wrote: Was it cheaper to go to CLT? RDU is like 20 minutes from the law school.
It was a good bit cheaper, but I also thought I was going to have access to a car there that ultimately didn't end up panning out. I checked out some properties for work stuff, too. Those were the main reasons for flying into Charlotte.

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi all,
I was looking at the COA estimate put forth by Duke, and I was wondering if the $8,718 for Rent/Utilities was enough to live in a 1br without being strapped for cash? It seems the nicer complexes charge roughly 1,100-1,200/mo, and just wanted to get some opinions from those that already have some experience with this.

I was a commuter from home for undergrad, so I don't have much experience in this department.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:54 pm

the lsat failure wrote:Hi all,
I was looking at the COA estimate put forth by Duke, and I was wondering if the $8,718 for Rent/Utilities was enough to live in a 1br without being strapped for cash? It seems the nicer complexes charge roughly 1,100-1,200/mo, and just wanted to get some opinions from those that already have some experience with this.

I was a commuter from home for undergrad, so I don't have much experience in this department.
For 9 months maybe, not for 12, though. That's totally doable for 12 months with a roommate in a 2br. But if you're talking about a 1 br for 12 months (assuming no summer sublet) that's about $725 a month with utilities. IME you'd be staying at a pretty shitty place if you could pull this off...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:

For 9 months maybe, not for 12, though. That's totally doable for 12 months with a roommate in a 2br. But if you're talking about a 1 br for 12 months (assuming no summer sublet) that's about $725 a month with utilities. IME you'd be staying at a pretty shitty place if you could pull this off...
So I'm wondering how are all of these 1L's living alone in places like this? Am I missing something? Because it says right there on their site that they will not extend the COA to include rent that exceeds the allotted amount.
Of course, this is not taking into account any extra money these people may have.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

the lsat failure wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

So I'm wondering how are all of these 1L's living alone in places like this? Am I missing something? Because it says right there on their site that they will not extend the COA to include rent that exceeds the allotted amount.
Of course, this is not taking into account any extra money these people may have.
Try looking more west. Places further east tend to be more expensive because they're close to bars and restaurants. Try looking further west (Pinnacle, Alden Place, ect). Those places are usually less than $1000/month for a 1br.

If it helps, I took out 46K for 1L and lived in a 1br. 25K of that went to tuition, 3K went to travel costs, and 2K went to furniture/furnishings. I also had 4K left over. So it cost me about 12K for rent, utilities, gas, groceries, and drinks at shooters/bar review. Tbh, i probably spent more on the last part than the average student :lol: I also didn't budget for groceries.

I would guess that if you are frugal and stick to a budget, you could get away with ~11K for COL in a 1br.

the lsat failure

New

Post by the lsat failure » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:02 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
the lsat failure wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

Try looking more west. Places further east tend to be more expensive because they're close to bars and restaurants. Try looking further west (Pinnacle, Alden Place, ect). Those places are usually less than $1000/month for a 1br.

If it helps, I took out 46K for 1L and lived in a 1br. 25K of that went to tuition, 3K went to travel costs, and 2K went to furniture/furnishings. I also had 4K left over. So it cost me about 12K for rent, utilities, gas, groceries, and drinks at shooters/bar review. Tbh, i probably spent more on the last part than the average student :lol: I also didn't budget for groceries.

I would guess that if you are frugal and stick to a budget, you could get away with ~11K for COL in a 1br.
And this is all assuming one has a form of transportation (car)? Anyone know what students usually do about cars?

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 am

the lsat failure wrote:
lolRCscrewyou wrote:
the lsat failure wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

And this is all assuming one has a form of transportation (car)? Anyone know what students usually do about cars?
They bring them. It's nearly impossible to get around without a car unless you live within a mile of school. And you REALLY don't want to do that, unless you want to listen to frats party every day and every night.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:08 am

the lsat failure wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

People who are living alone:

A) have some other form of support (parental, savings, inheritance, etc)

B) have found the money in the COA assessment some other way (food?, transpo, healthcare, books, the misc plug)

c) have private loans not bound by the COA adjustment.

Also yes, most people were given a car or bought one before school. Honestly if you're looking to take sticker debt you probably shouldn't be paying to live alone, but that's just my own thinking

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
the lsat failure wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

B) have found the money in the COA assessment some other way (food?, transpo, healthcare, books, the misc plug)

Also yes, most people were given a car or bought one before school. Honestly if you're looking to take sticker debt you probably shouldn't be paying to live alone, but that's just my own thinking
Consigning Degrees:
I'm able to afford it bc my parents are paying for transportation, I'm getting a small monthly military stipend thingy, and I have savings to make up some of the difference. But it's going to be tight still. Lol

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Stephylynette wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
the lsat failure wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

Consigning Degrees:
I'm able to afford it bc my parents are paying for transportation, I'm getting a small monthly military stipend thingy, and I have savings to make up some of the difference. But it's going to be tight still. Lol
Honestly, a 2br/2ba is not a bad way to go. It is substantially cheaper and doesn't have too many negatives. Those living alone ~*usually*~ have another reason that isn't "I can afford it" (couldn't find a roommate, couldn't find another place, awesome amenities, etc). With that said, if you want to live alone and have a reasonable means to do so, just do it :)

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 pm

I've heard people (not sure if they were reliable) recommend to write exams in accordance with the views of the professor. have you found it necessary to do this to get the best grade possible? do people just write what the professor wants to hear even if they disagree on an issue? or is it a non-issue?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:36 pm

proteinshake wrote:I've heard people (not sure if they were reliable) recommend to write exams in accordance with the views of the professor. have you found it necessary to do this to get the best grade possible? do people just write what the professor wants to hear even if they disagree on an issue? or is it a non-issue?
Not necessarily. That's a good way to maintain median (which is GREAT, dont let any gunner tell you otherwise). If you want to get that higher grade though, they want to see you approach it from a fresh angle.

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 am

Just got the email about stuff for this fall - the new parking garage seems a lot closer than the parking you current students have talked about in the past, is that right? Seems maybe a little more expensive but closer and covered which is nice.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 am

how fast do the parking spots sell out?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:19 am

joeytribbiani wrote:Just got the email about stuff for this fall - the new parking garage seems a lot closer than the parking you current students have talked about in the past, is that right? Seems maybe a little more expensive but closer and covered which is nice.
for love of god take the parking deck. avoid green lot like the plague. what are your options and what are the prices?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

SplitMyPants wrote:
joeytribbiani wrote:Just got the email about stuff for this fall - the new parking garage seems a lot closer than the parking you current students have talked about in the past, is that right? Seems maybe a little more expensive but closer and covered which is nice.
for love of god take the parking deck. avoid green lot like the plague. what are your options and what are the prices?
The parking garage is the one right next to Fuqua and is $459 for the whole year. The email sort of made it seem like that is just the place where law students park, didn't even mention the green and blue lots that have been discussed here, so I wondered if they just have enough spots allocated that no one as to go to those unless they want a cheaper option. I don't remember exactly but I think those lots (from what I could find on the Duke Parking & Transportation website) were something like $400 and $250 respectively for blue and green, but that could be off.

But like I said, the email seems to imply the garage is the main option. The message reads "Law students park in the Science Drive Garage at the corner of Science Drive and Cameron Blvd. Parking passes can be purchased for $459.00 online beginning July 17, 2017 and should be purchased before your arrival."

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 am

proteinshake wrote:how fast do the parking spots sell out?
Also wondering, but it seems like the garage might be a new option. FWIW it seems the garage is about 2400 spots. I know some will be for Fuqua and Sanford and visitor spots but none of the schools are too huge so hopefully enough left over for us!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 am

joeytribbiani wrote:
proteinshake wrote:how fast do the parking spots sell out?
Also wondering, but it seems like the garage might be a new option. FWIW it seems the garage is about 2400 spots. I know some will be for Fuqua and Sanford and visitor spots but none of the schools are too huge so hopefully enough left over for us!
yeah, im not there is a credited response to how fast they sell out. previously, they sold out very rapidly. however, this is the first year theyve gone on sale like normal. it didnt open until this past spring, at which point they converted those who wanted from their current green/chem lot spots into the parking garage. i would think you're right, though----they seem to have plenty of parking now that the deck is there.

that said, no reason not to jump on it if you know you're getting it just to be safe. there is no literally nowhere that could be better/more cost-effective. even if you could get some cheaper parking (which it seems like, based on that email, you cant) you would really be kicking yourself when you're trying to go studying for 1L finals on a cold december day and you have to trek to the law school.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:34 pm

How well do Duke grads do in Texas? Is Texas well represented in the student body?

My career goals are to land a Federal clerkship followed by Dallas BigLaw. I've never lived outside of Texas, and while I love UT and SMU, I would appreciate a change of scenery for few years. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of Duke, and its reputation and placement numbers make it very attractive. I also found the Durham/Chapel Hill area very charming.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”