Is law school really like high school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tom Joad

Re: Is law school really like high school?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 am

Get to the picwhore thread, wtf?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 am

did last night confirm
"law school hot"?

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue May 15, 2012 9:46 am

Point taken.

Although there were some girls I'd find cute on the street.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue May 15, 2012 9:54 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:did last night confirm
"law school hot"?

No real drop dead girls but most were definitely above average, although a selection bias could account for that.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 am

When I envision law school, I imagine girls like this asking me "Hey, can I come over to study Torts with you?"

Hmmm, let me put my pencil in you...I mean penis...I mean let me pencil you in.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:did last night confirm
"law school hot"?

No real drop dead girls but most were definitely above average, although a selection bias could account for that.

oh yea, totally agree.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 am

togepi wrote:

Hmmm, let me put my pencil in you...I mean penis...I mean let me pencil you in.

QFP

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed May 16, 2012 1:44 am

LOL @ people who take law school social life seriously. The happiest people I know in law school are the ones with great grades, not lots of friends. Sometimes there is overlap between the two groups, but most of the people I know with great grades have only a few close friends.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed May 16, 2012 1:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:IMO its not like high school. Northwestern isn't very cliqueish. I've made new friends each semester. The gossip isn't any worse thanlike you'd find at f500 company that employes tons of young workers.

There really isn't a social hierarchy, just loose groups of friends.

This is the opposite of UVA.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 16, 2012 2:52 am

It's like high school in the sense that the pool of people to possibly know is much smaller, you see the same people in class after class, and you have lockers again. Oh, and assigned seats and some profs take attendance. From what I gather, it's a lot less like high school 2L & 3L year when profs stop assigning seats and you're not taking all your classes in one section anymore.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 16, 2012 6:25 am

First year law school anxieties are similiar to teenage insecurities/angst experienced during one's high school years. Also, like most high schools, all law school classes are confined to a single building with the same small group of people.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed May 16, 2012 7:49 am

I really liked someone's response that people are more accepting in law school. It is true. People are much more mature. It's not like they will shun you because you're uncool or something.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 am

LSATNightmares wrote:I really liked someone's response that people are more accepting in law school. It is true. People are much more mature. It's not like they will shun you because you're uncool or something.

Yes, this is true - everyone is decent to each other. Also, even the relatively cool people are dorks. Law school is like dork camp for dorks who dork well. So, everyone fits in, more or less.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 9:22 am

minus gunners...

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed May 16, 2012 9:24 am

Are gunners the scum of the earth?

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 am

depends onthe gunner... but generally its not a good look to be a gunner

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 am

northwood wrote:depends onthe gunner... but generally its not a good look to be a gunner

do gunners form their own study groups so they can talk about gunning and how to be better gunners?

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am

Did anyone else never really notice cliques in HS? TLS seems to all take that as fact, I always just assumed that was overplayed 1970s stuff that hollywood movies like to still portray with 29 year old actors

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Did anyone else never really notice cliques in HS? TLS seems to all take that as fact, I always just assumed that was overplayed 1970s stuff that hollywood movies like to still portray with 29 year old actors

Maybe your HS was like one of those 80s math textbooks.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Did anyone else never really notice cliques in HS? TLS seems to all take that as fact, I always just assumed that was overplayed 1970s stuff that hollywood movies like to still portray with 29 year old actors

There were in my high school:

popular kids, future hipsters, anime/nerdy guys

even racially separated between whites and blacks. I went to high school in Alabama and was one of the few Asian kids there haha

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 am

togepi wrote:
northwood wrote:depends onthe gunner... but generally its not a good look to be a gunner

do gunners form their own study groups so they can talk about gunning and how to be better gunners?

i wouldnt know- i wasnt a gunner.... but the few in my section seemed to go it alone ( he didnt want to share information), and only would talk to people he thought was relatively close enough in his intellect. ( which was one or 2 other people)

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 am

northwood wrote:
togepi wrote:

i wouldnt know- i wasnt a gunner.... but the few in my section seemed to go it alone ( he didnt want to share information), and only would talk to people he thought was relatively close enough in his intellect. ( which was one or 2 other people)

I wish there was compiled statistics on gunners vs class rank. I wonder if being so gung ho about everything typically serves as a detriment or a benefit.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed May 16, 2012 9:52 am

why would you want to be a gunner??

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 am

I'm gonna guess you are a dude. Girls have a different HS experience, I think. At least I did. I hated high school with a passion. Loved college. Might enjoy law school if it weren't trying to kill me.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 am

togepi wrote:

There were in my high school:

popular kids, future hipsters, anime/nerdy guys

even racially separated between whites and blacks. I went to high school in Alabama and was one of the few Asian kids there haha

I saw all of that in middle school. My middle school was the sterotypical everyone just associated with their group / would never be caught dead with those kids over there / kids got picked on, etc...

By the time hs hit, everyone just pretty much hung out with their friends / didn't seem to be many problems, but there was a lot of "intermixing." Idk, I talked to black kids, jocks, nerds, average kids, etc... Obviously one was more likely to hang out with others more like them but different groups seemed to have 0 problem with the others.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or my hs was an exception

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”