SA in a different city from school/home with SO

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HotSauce

SA in a different city from school/home with SO

Postby HotSauce » Sat May 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Looking for some anecdotal wisdom from people who have gone through this in the past.

My fiance is planning to move with me when I go to lawl school this fall (maybe not at first; some time between Sept-Dec), and we're no stranger to long distance, but I'm curious what others' experiences have been going to law school in a different place than they do their SA. (By 2L summer we will likely be married.) Did your SO try jumping jobs around or did you (as a couple) pay two rents in different cities? Did you just try to keep your SA located in the same place as your school?

For what it's worth, we've both lived for years in NYC where I'd like ultimately to do my SAs in (albeit she has no family there), but we both have few (and she fewer) ties to the city I'm thinking I'll be at school at come fall.

This is all a ways off, but it's something that's obviously on my mind given she's willing to be so accommodating for me.

All anecdotes and advice welcome. Esp. fail stories.

acrossthelake

Re: SA in a different city from school/home with SO

Postby acrossthelake » Sat May 12, 2012 10:30 pm

I know a few couples where the SO moved to follow the student here for lawl skool, but the student is going away for the summer. The SO is just staying here and they're paying double-rent and doing long-distance for the summer. Too difficult to get another job somewhere else for like, 8-10 weeks, and then come back, and doubling rent for that long isn't that bad.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”