Pre Law School Employment in Boston

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheColonel

Pre Law School Employment in Boston

Postby TheColonel » Fri May 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post this but it seemed more correct than anywhere else.

Anyhow, I graduated undergrad class of 2011 and I am planning to move to Boston immediately after the June LSAT. I am looking to get some sort of legal experience or experience that would otherwise build my resume for law school. My resume is currently a little weak, however so I think my options may be limited. The only significant thing on there is graduating Cum Laude from a good Boston school with a Poli Sci major.

How should I be focusing my job search? I have thought of legal temping, finding some sort of volunteer position and waiting tables on the side, trying to milk my alumni network, and just applying to paralegal-type positions as they pop up on things like craigslist. Anything else I should add to the list? Any thoughts on the aforementioned jobs?

Thanks in advance.

Jacky D.

Re: Pre Law School Employment in Boston

Postby Jacky D. » Sat May 12, 2012 11:19 pm

You can volunteer/work here: http://www.gbls.org/

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat May 12, 2012 11:29 pm

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 am

I think getting a job in policy would be great. It's harder to do that in Boston than in DC, but you'll actually get to do legal work indirectly in the process. For example, I got my undergrad degree in policy, and by working in policy consulting, I got exposure to regulatory and legislative analysis that has proved useful in classes like Legislation. I plan to practice environmental law, so I was able to impress interviewers with detailed knowledge of the legal landscape with the knowledge I gained from working. You could probably get similar exposure if you worked for some lawmaker or executive office. Of course, you don't have to, but I think that looks more valuable.

I do have friends who worked as paralegals. It's useful as well.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”