Down Low Gunner Thread

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tooswolle

Down Low Gunner Thread

Postby tooswolle » Tue May 08, 2012 11:34 pm

I thought I'd create this thread for those of us that are the gunner type (competitive, really want to do well and somewhat arrogant) but are generally good at keeping to themselves and being an overall cool person.

As such I'll start this off by asking those who have done well or those who are reading outlines before law school; what kind of preparation should one do? I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to my number 1 choice with a decent scholarship, but deferred a year to get more work experience. As such, I want to find something productive to do on my year off other than working , drinking and partying. Thanks in advance for the help.

kaiser

Re: Down Low Gunner Thread

Postby kaiser » Tue May 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Competitive, really want to do well, and somewhat arrogant? Bro, you just summed up every student you will come across.

As for what you should do, use the following list:

-Learn about law school exams via online research, books like Getting to Maybe, the LEEWS program

-Update and make a picture perfect resume, edit it, and then re-edit it

-Make cover letter templates for various jobs you could possibly be interested in for 1L year

-Get better and faster at typing, and if you think you are already fast, then get faster

-Network with alums of your school, chat with them, ask about what they do, etc. and you will build up a bank of contacts that can help you down the road, both during the 1L job search and at OCI

-Get yourself organized and prioritized, and work out some good habits for keeping everything straight

-Take some time for self-reflection, and set out concrete goals so you know what you actually want to get out of law school

The one thing you really don't want to do is substantive preparation (i.e. trying to "learn the law"). That is a waste of time, and counterproductive in many ways. But the above things will be VERY helpful to you, and each will yield a tangible benefit to you, and the more you put in, the more benefit you will get out of it.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Wed May 09, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks for the advice man really appreciated. I'll be buying those books ASAP. Hopefully they can help. Do you think commercial outlines would be unnecessary for pre 1L prep?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 am

Nah, since that is just an outlined way of "learning the law", and would likely be even more counterproductive. When it comes to supplements and substantive prep books, you want to wait until school starts, or is close to starting. That way you can ask what supplements your professor specifically recommends (since each professor teaches each subject differently). And once you know what professors you have and what casebooks you will be using, you can buy outlines and supplements that are keyed or paired with those casebooks or written by your professor.

I tried to learn the law in advance by reading commercial outlines and supplements, and it really didn't work in any sort of tangible way. I came in on the first day, and I knew a few terms that my classmates didn't know. But grades are given out on the last day, not the first. So any advantage I had on that first day was gone within just a few weeks. Plus, since professors teach things differently, I had to tailor what I had pre-read to match what the professor was saying (not to mention filter out all the extraneous information). All in all, it was a relatively pointless endeavor, and I could have better dedicated that time to other things.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 am

tooswolle wrote:I want to find something productive to do on my year off other than working , drinking and partying.
Sounds awesome, you should just keep doing that. The stuff kaiser said definitely wouldn't hurt either (especially the typing speed and reading about law school exams) but seriously, mostly relax.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 am

quiver wrote:
tooswolle wrote:I want to find something productive to do on my year off other than working , drinking and partying.
Sounds awesome, you should just keep doing that. The stuff kaiser said definitely wouldn't hurt either (especially the typing speed and reading about law school exams) but seriously, mostly relax.

Relaxation time should definitely be on my list. You have no idea how much it will benefit you to ease your mind a bit, and clear your head by doing some fun stuff before the grind of school starts.

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Wed May 09, 2012 12:38 am

kaiser wrote:
quiver wrote:

Relaxation time should definitely be on my list. You have no idea how much it will benefit you to ease your mind a bit, and clear your head by doing some fun stuff before the grind of school starts.

Oh yea mos def. I'm already debating whether to put in my notice a month or two before school starts. The game plan is to lounge and sleep in an relax. Also to do two a day work out routines to show up Mack in every sense of the word to school. I think I'll just get those two books you mentioned to teach me how to write an exam. Then just learn the material during class and take practice tests as much as possible. Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”