OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby drbarry987 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:09 pm

If you go to a school like NYU, which offers $4500 grant $ for 1L summer funding, is it OK to spend the summer working for free in a legal position at a non-profit in Honolulu? Never been to HI and it sounds fun to live there for a summer. Will this hurt you at OCI/EIW if you're target market is NYC?

Like, would there be any risk of a perception of "this kid spent the summer in Hawaii for the lolz and is thus not as hard working as all these other identical GPA CCN canditates with similar grades who stayed here in NYC?" Or does it not matter, so long as I can intelligently talk about what I did/learned?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 pm

The Hawaii market is incredibly insular. Do you have this fantasy job lined up already?

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby drbarry987 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm

No no, not full time. Just for the 1L summer working for FREE. Seems easy enough to beg some non profit to let you be free labor. No? I'm a 0L, but just curious if this is either doable or advisable. Thanks for your time and forgive my ignorance.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I would imagine that the UH students have all the jobs (even the free 1L summer stuff--I got that's what you were talking about) pretty well locked down. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard about Hawaii.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:19 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Seems easy enough to beg some non profit to let you be free labor. No?


No.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby Mce252 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm

drbarry987 wrote:If you go to a school like NYU, which offers $4500 grant $ for 1L summer funding, is it OK to spend the summer working for free in a legal position at a non-profit in Honolulu? Never been to HI and it sounds fun to live there for a summer. Will this hurt you at OCI/EIW if you're target market is NYC?

Like, would there be any risk of a perception of "this kid spent the summer in Hawaii for the lolz and is thus not as hard working as all these other identical GPA CCN canditates with similar grades who stayed here in NYC?" Or does it not matter, so long as I can intelligently talk about what I did/learned?



Sounds cool but it would raise a few questions in my mind if I was interviewing you.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby KMaine » Tue May 08, 2012 3:22 pm

The only question it would raise in my mind is "why didn't I think of that?"

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby Mce252 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:23 pm

KMaine wrote:The only question it would raise in my mind is "why didn't I think of that?"



Ha, yeah. It really does sound nice. Just not a good idea if you want a solid job in New York out of OCI.

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby PMan99 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Mce252 wrote:
KMaine wrote:The only question it would raise in my mind is "why didn't I think of that?"



Ha, yeah. It really does sound nice. Just not a good idea if you want a solid job in New York out of OCI.


If he has the grades from NYU I highly doubt any firm in NY is going to give a shit that he spent his 1L summer in Hawaii. I suppose it might make a difference on the margins.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby sparty99 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:44 pm

No one will give a rat's a$$ that you spent a summer in Hawaii.

I think you will stand out (in a good way). Your resume will say "Honululululululu" and they will be like, wtf? How did he get there.

And obviously they will want to know about your time there. What you did at the job, if you went surfing, etc...

I would definitely do this if this is what you want to do. This is kind of like studying abroad, but yet you will actually be doing something legal.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby Mce252 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:52 pm

sparty99 wrote:No one will give a rat's a$$ that you spent a summer in Hawaii.

I think you will stand out (in a good way). Your resume will say "Honululululululu" and they will be like, wtf? How did he get there.

And obviously they will want to know about your time there. What you did at the job, if you went surfing, etc...

I would definitely do this if this is what you want to do. This is kind of like studying abroad, but yet you will actually be doing something legal.


I think that's a fair assessment. But based on what the OP said, my natural reaction to a random unpaid gig in a State half way across the world would just generally send up a red flag. Not because of the desire to work in a cool place for the summer, but because it would cost almost a semester's worth of tuition to fly there, put yourself up, and work for free.

We're talking about law firm recruiting attorneys here. If you're going to consider this valuable you might as well "study law abroad" for the summer. That's just fine but it's probably not going to help you get a job in New York.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Some attorneys might think you just wanted a vacation and will slightly look down on it. More will think it's interesting and it'll give you something to talk about. Most won't care one way or the other. This is assuming it's a law job.

But it will be harder to find this unpaid Hawaiian job than you think so this is probably moot.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 pm

They may think that you're clever to get your law school to fund a summer vacation in Hawaii. :D

bromance
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 am

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby bromance » Tue May 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Just got back from HI, and Honolulu is really not that great - its expensive, the city itself is pretty meh and you need a car to go anywhere cool...if you're only going because you think it might be fun to spend a summer in Hawaii but are concerned about damaging your future job prospects I would think twice. Use your 2L SA salary to go on vacation in HI instead :).

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby sparty99 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Mce252 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:No one will give a rat's a$$ that you spent a summer in Hawaii.

I think you will stand out (in a good way). Your resume will say "Honululululululu" and they will be like, wtf? How did he get there.

And obviously they will want to know about your time there. What you did at the job, if you went surfing, etc...

I would definitely do this if this is what you want to do. This is kind of like studying abroad, but yet you will actually be doing something legal.


I think that's a fair assessment. But based on what the OP said, my natural reaction to a random unpaid gig in a State half way across the world would just generally send up a red flag. Not because of the desire to work in a cool place for the summer, but because it would cost almost a semester's worth of tuition to fly there, put yourself up, and work for free.

We're talking about law firm recruiting attorneys here. If you're going to consider this valuable you might as well "study law abroad" for the summer. That's just fine but it's probably not going to help you get a job in New York.


What you do 1L summer hardly matters. Whether he gets a job in NYC will depend mostly on his grades, how well he interviews, and how hard he networks. Unless he is working at a firm this summer or some prominent judge who knows people in NYC, then I don't see how this opportunity would provide him with any less opportunities. He is already in the NYC legal market by going to school there.

Also, it is not unpaid, he is getting a $4,500 grant. The airfare will cost $1,100. And at the end of the day, his job is with a legal employer. He is still learning American law.

BUT, OP question is kind of dumb because he is only a 0L and doesn't even have an unpaid job in Hawaii lined up. YOU WON'T GET THE $4,500 GRANT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE JOB. DONE AND DONE.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby swc65 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Mce252 wrote:
KMaine wrote:The only question it would raise in my mind is "why didn't I think of that?"



Ha, yeah. It really does sound nice. Just not a good idea if you want a solid job in New York out of OCI.



yeah this seems like extra interview points material.

you'll have a good story that every interviewer will want to hear about.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby rad lulz » Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:Seems easy enough to beg some non profit to let you be free labor. No?


No.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby sparty99 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:Seems easy enough to beg some non profit to let you be free labor. No?


No.


Hell No.

User avatar
FlanAl
Posts: 1474
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: OK to spend 1L Summer in Hawaii?

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bk1 wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:Seems easy enough to beg some non profit to let you be free labor. No?


No.


+1




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests