Legal Aid after 1L and 2L years

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FreeLolita

Legal Aid after 1L and 2L years

Postby FreeLolita » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

0L here so pardon my ignorance. I was speaking to a law student at a very prestigious school who is doing very well for himself, although he is kind of an ass. I don't mean to offend anyone, but he said something to the effect of, 'Nothing screams Law School Flunky like interning at legal aid services over summers after your 1L and 2L years.'" I don't understand this line of reasoning. I was under the impression that these positions were very well-respected/reputable. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

CyLaw

Re: Legal Aid after 1L and 2L years

Postby CyLaw » Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 am

FreeLolita wrote:0L here so pardon my ignorance. I was speaking to a law student at a very prestigious school who is doing very well for himself, although he is kind of an ass. I don't mean to offend anyone, but he said something to the effect of, 'Nothing screams Law School Flunky like interning at legal aid services over summers after your 1L and 2L years.'" I don't understand this line of reasoning. I was under the impression that these positions were very well-respected/reputable. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

/thread.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 am

OP: Reread the last part of your second sentence & you'll have your answer.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 am

Sorry just realized this is the wrong section of the boards to post this.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Tue May 08, 2012 1:58 pm

But why would he say something like that? Is there even an inkling of truth behind it?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 pm

FreeLolita wrote:But why would he say something like that? Is there even an inkling of truth behind it?

Because he is an ass and is likely "BIGLAW or BUST". There are plenty of people in this world that think serving the public interest is a loser's game and that the only thing that matters is their net worth.

Legal aid is often overwork and underpaid. It is a sacrifice that people make because they care about helping certain classes of people. How does that make them a law school flunkie? There are plenty of people at the top schools who have top grades and still choose to do legal aid style work.

BTW which school was this person at?

Further, we are talking about summer jobs here. First, your 1L summer job does not matter in the long term. Second, if you wanted to do legal aid work after school then you should also do it for your 2L summer. Otherwise you will have to explain why you took a different type of job for 2l summer if you want to do legal aid work post graduation. It's called demonstrating a commitment to public service (This can be done in other ways also, and doing Biglaw 2L summer does not close out future PI jobs, but 2L BigLaw doesn't help here).

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 pm

CyLaw wrote:
FreeLolita wrote:But why would he say something like that? Is there even an inkling of truth behind it?

Because he is an ass and is likely "BIGLAW or BUST". There are plenty of people in this world that think serving the public interest is a loser's game and that the only thing that matters is their net worth.

Legal aid is often overwork and underpaid. It is a sacrifice that people make because they care about helping certain classes of people. How does that make them a law school flunkie? There are plenty of people at the top schools who have top grades and still choose to do legal aid style work.

BTW which school was this person at?

Further, we are talking about summer jobs here. First, your 1L summer job does not matter in the long term. Second, if you wanted to do legal aid work after school then you should also do it for your 2L summer. Otherwise you will have to explain why you took a different type of job for 2l summer if you want to do legal aid work post graduation. It's called demonstrating a commitment to public service (This can be done in other ways also, and doing Biglaw 2L summer does not close out future PI jobs, but 2L BigLaw doesn't help here).

UVa

darkphoenix323

Postby darkphoenix323 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:13 pm

I did legal aid work after 1L and will be doing so again this summer. I also did legal internships during the school year. It has been the highlight of my time in law school and I have had the opportunity to network with other legal aid attorneys, district attorneys, public defenders, and even some attorneys from BigLaw who came to do pro bono at our office.

Don't pay attention to anyone who says legal aid is invaluable. I've written motions, drafted and responded to discovery, and have represented clients in court as a certified law student. Summer employment is what you make of it. Biglaw isn't all there is.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Even Biglaw or bust people aren't usually that much of a douche. Legal Aid is very cool, and they need all the help they can get. Volunteering for them is, if anything, a definite plus on your resume. You'll get real, substantive work, and probably really enjoy it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”