Any George Mason Students Willing to Take Questions?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TIKITEMBO

Any George Mason Students Willing to Take Questions?

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 07, 2012 5:38 pm

It seems like there hasn't been as much GMU activity on this website for this application cycle. I've looked through some past threads that have been helpful, but if there are any GMU students (any year is fine) I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated.

Incubateus

Re: Any George Mason Students Willing to Take Questions?

Postby Incubateus » Mon May 07, 2012 6:11 pm

bump for curiosity

reidmacharg

Postby reidmacharg » Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm a 2011 grad. Do you have any specific questions?

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 pm

reidmacharg wrote:I'm a 2011 grad. Do you have any specific questions?

Great! Thanks :)

Well...

1) Are there any people you know who are still struggling to find employment?Are people generally happy with the work they are able to secure?

2) GMU places a lot of people in government positions. How many people do you think are able to get federal positions vs. high-paying state/local positions (actual employment not internships). People talk alot about hiring freezes/lack of funding and I'd be curious to know how many people you've seen affected by that.

3) Besides Craigslist (which seems to have a lot of price-gouging), are there any places you'd recommend for looking for housing around the school? I'd be willing to travel a bit, but I'll be married and if there's a way to get $900 for a decent 1 Bedroom that would be great.

lonewolf2002

Postby lonewolf2002 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:42 am

As an incoming GMU 1L I am curious as well.

roundabout2014

Postby roundabout2014 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 am

1) Are there any people you know who are still struggling to find employment?Are people generally happy with the work they are able to secure?

2) GMU places a lot of people in government positions. How many people do you think are able to get federal positions vs. high-paying state/local positions (actual employment not internships). People talk alot about hiring freezes/lack of funding and I'd be curious to know how many people you've seen affected by that.

3) Besides Craigslist (which seems to have a lot of price-gouging), are there any places you'd recommend for looking for housing around the school? I'd be willing to travel a bit, but I'll be married and if there's a way to get $900 for a decent 1 Bedroom that would be great.

Incoming 2L here. My response to the questions above apply to GMU students who recently completed the 1L day program.

1) Most students have great summer internships, with some paid. I know of a select few who don't have summer internships lined up, and the only reason is that they chose to hold out for something. If they wanted one, they could have had it.

Something I should mention is that a good number of students used the school's summer internship program. It is a valuable program. I have no specifics, so if you want information about it you should look on GMU's website.

2) Can you specify what you mean about fed. positions v. high paying state/local positions? I am not aware of a large variation in the starting salaries of federal and state agencies. Many federal positions tend to start in or around the $60K - $68K range, and I am uncertain about state agencies. If you mean, generally, how many people are getting state or federal positions, I can tell you that I know of several people with state internships (excluding PD or SA), including attorney's general and other state agencies. I also know of several people with federal internships. Furthermore, there are some working at larger firms this summer.

3) I don't live around campus, and while I think you'd be stretching yourself thin on a monthly $900 allowance for a one bedroom, you might get it done. Try http://www.padmapper.com or http://www.hotpads.com. These sites "pull" from various sites and display listings.

You can drive or use public transportation. I drive and have no problem getting to and from school. Classes start at 10 so the morning rush hour has come and gone by then. Almost everywhere is near a bus line, and most metro stops are accessible from these lines or within walking distance. Some bus lines will get you to GMU, and any metro stop can get you there. You are looking for the Virginia Square/Ballston/GMU area. GMU has its own stop on the orange line.

Realize that the further you go from DC, the lower the rents, for the most part. GMU is close to D.C. so the rents are higher near it.

As an aside, I know most people are worried about jobs. I honestly don't know about the prospects of outgoing 3Ls, so I cannot speak to their salaries or their difficulty in finding a job which with they are happy.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Mon May 21, 2012 12:12 am

roundabout2014 wrote:
2) Can you specify what you mean about fed. positions v. high paying state/local positions? I am not aware of a large variation in the starting salaries of federal and state agencies. Many federal positions tend to start in or around the $60K - $68K range, and I am uncertain about state agencies. If you mean, generally, how many people are getting state or federal positions, I can tell you that I know of several people with state internships (excluding PD or SA), including attorney's general and other state agencies. I also know of several people with federal internships. Furthermore, there are some working at larger firms this summer.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in my response. I've just seen that GMU places very well with government positions and was wondering what percentage of those government jobs seemed to be federal and what percentage was state/local. Internship info you might have for this would be helpful also if many try to follow that internship into employment.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”