Buying a new computer for law school--mac or no?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Is a mac worth it?

A mac is worth it
56%
A mac is not worth it
44%

Total votes: 139

RedBirds2011

Re: Buying a new computer for law school--mac or no?

Postby RedBirds2011 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:55 pm

I am a mac person. I love apple. However, unless you just don't care about dropping a bunch of money for one, I don't see it as worth all the extra money.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 pm

modus pwnens wrote:Disclaimer: I like Macs. I get along with Macs, as computers qua computers, just fine. And for most users on TLS, performing the tasks that TLS is concerned with, any new laptop will do, from the swankest MBP to the $300 Presario at WalMart.

I think we're talking about different things regarding design and reputation, however. It is my experience that people don't talk about Macs' reputation in the terms of "wow, I got good tech support today." More often, it's couched in terms of "wow, Apple is the only hip corporation." People don't talk about design so much in terms of "that Mac has a crisp, ergonomic keyboard that increases my WPM" (although it might), rather in terms of Macs are cool, PCs are dull.

That's fine. People pay good money for style all the time. But don't try to convince literate computer users that you bought your Mac because it gives you better performance for equivalent money. It's never equivalent money.

Macs are, primarily, about signaling. For the vast majority of general-purpose users, advertising has taught us ("Hi, I'm a Mac! And I'm a PC.") that hip, privileged, clever, progressive, sexy young people use Macs. That's why many-to-most users buy them, even if they won't admit it. Boring, orthodox, square people use PCs. Advertising tells us that, and we believe it.

So go for it. Signaling has value. People are willing to pay for it. Just be honest about it. You want a Mac because that sassy girl in your section will think you're a nerd if you show up with a ThinkPad. And you're probably right. That's what you're paying for.

I can agree with this, but I wouldn't say that is the only reason people buy Macs. As a video editor and graphic designer, I found Macs much more capable and made the switch for this reason. Furthermore, I love OSX over any Windows software I've ever used. As trivial as it sounds, I also love the design of every MBP I have had over any non-Mac laptop I've used (keyboard, track-pad, wrist space, button layout, etc). I will admit though that the branding was likely a factor as well.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 pm

presidentk1 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
ok lets try this again, assuming identical specs:

the only differences would be cosmetic in nature
the processor inside is made by the same company (intel) as are the other components

so what your saying is, some people can justify spending upwards of $1000 (the cost of a second computer) just because it is a mac and may be aesthetically appealing

i'm not misreading what you are saying, i completely get it, I just totally disagree w/ it

but hey to each his own, its your money

Where are you getting this $1,000 number from? You can get non-Apple computers with the same specs as the 13-inch MBP for $99 (2.4 GHz) or $399 (2.8 GHz)?

I wasn't comparing low-end systems like a 13 MBP

i was comparing my w520 to a 15in MBP (closest equivalent to my machine sold by apple)
my machine is actually better equipped

w520=$1100
MBP=$2200

@modus pwnens, your analysis is on point

Fair enough. The grander the MBP, the more the price becomes unjustified. But I gotta say, you can't be paying sticker for your Macs! Even the education discount alone knocks $200 off that MBP price. Go refurbished (which I recommend) and the cost is even less.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:13 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
presidentk1 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
ok lets try this again, assuming identical specs:

the only differences would be cosmetic in nature
the processor inside is made by the same company (intel) as are the other components

so what your saying is, some people can justify spending upwards of $1000 (the cost of a second computer) just because it is a mac and may be aesthetically appealing

i'm not misreading what you are saying, i completely get it, I just totally disagree w/ it

but hey to each his own, its your money

Where are you getting this $1,000 number from? You can get non-Apple computers with the same specs as the 13-inch MBP for $99 (2.4 GHz) or $399 (2.8 GHz)?

I wasn't comparing low-end systems like a 13 MBP

i was comparing my w520 to a 15in MBP (closest equivalent to my machine sold by apple)
my machine is actually better equipped

w520=$1100
MBP=$2200

@modus pwnens, your analysis is on point

Fair enough. The grander the MBP, the more the price becomes unjustified. But I gotta say, you can't be paying sticker for your Macs! Even the education discount alone knocks $200 off that MBP price. Go refurbished (which I recommend) and the cost is even less.

good point in regards to the edu discount

but even then, its still 900 bucks bro

thats all your books for a semester, maybe more

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm

One thing no PC has been able to match Apple in: overall build quality, industrial design.

Discuss.

sequins

Postby sequins » Fri May 25, 2012 8:11 pm

I got my first MacBook last minute because my previous laptop (an acer) decided to crap out after less than a year in the middle of me writing a paper. After panicking, trying to rewrite a paper and recover stuff the night before your paper is due lead me to go for the most reliable computer possible. Which was a MacBook. A few months later my brother got an Hp at the same price but with a fancier graphics card and processor. It lasted maybe 6 months before the graphics card apparently managed to overheat and burn itself out. After getting it fixed 3 months later the monitor failed. A few months after that the keyboard stopped working. Over next two years it failed another 3 or 4 times. After that he got a MacBook. Kicker is even with the faster processor my MacBook still performed smoother and faster than his on everyday tasks apart from gaming. And my MacBook is still functioning great 5 years on.

The components are the same but there's a reason industrial engineers exist - a good laptop is not just about throwing a bunch of components in a box and calling it a day - just like sticking a v8 engine into a civic doesn't make it a Ferrari. And ur picking computers in the extremes which most people don't buy. If you are comparing base model i5 MacBook with equivalent windows comp the difference in price shrinks to maybe 200-400. And if you then pick the quality professional lines of windows laptops the difference disappears. The higher manufacturing quality and engineering design isn't just aesthetics but it's what stops that fancy i7 processor you have overheating and burning out because Asus didn't pay their engineers to figure out where to out fans and cooling vents.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:32 pm

sequins wrote:I got my first MacBook last minute because my previous laptop (an acer) decided to crap out after less than a year in the middle of me writing a paper. After panicking, trying to rewrite a paper and recover stuff the night before your paper is due lead me to go for the most reliable computer possible. Which was a MacBook. A few months later my brother got an Hp at the same price but with a fancier graphics card and processor. It lasted maybe 6 months before the graphics card apparently managed to overheat and burn itself out. After getting it fixed 3 months later the monitor failed. A few months after that the keyboard stopped working. Over next two years it failed another 3 or 4 times. After that he got a MacBook. Kicker is even with the faster processor my MacBook still performed smoother and faster than his on everyday tasks apart from gaming. And my MacBook is still functioning great 5 years on.

The components are the same but there's a reason industrial engineers exist - a good laptop is not just about throwing a bunch of components in a box and calling it a day - just like sticking a v8 engine into a civic doesn't make it a Ferrari. And ur picking computers in the extremes which most people don't buy. If you are comparing base model i5 MacBook with equivalent windows comp the difference in price shrinks to maybe 200-400. And if you then pick the quality professional lines of windows laptops the difference disappears. The higher manufacturing quality and engineering design isn't just aesthetics but it's what stops that fancy i7 processor you have overheating and burning out because Asus didn't pay their engineers to figure out where to out fans and cooling vents.

care to explain then why MBP are notorious for running hotter

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/242400-help-my-macbookpro-running-too-hot.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343036
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/233642-macbook-pro-runs-really-hot-when-using-only-few-applications.html

Apple strives to make their products smaller and more compact
by bunching the components together, you are increase the temperature inside the case

Apple industrial design isn't about performance, its about aesthetics

your understanding of "industrial design" is flawed

futurelawyerJ

Postby futurelawyerJ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Macbook pro retina?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:43 pm

futurelawyerJ wrote:Macbook pro retina?

Do you feel like spending the money? If so, then sure.

futurelawyerJ

Postby futurelawyerJ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:57 am

I'm almost set on buying it now. It beats windows machines in most categories (including price....). I'm just going to call it a reliable capital improvement over my poor little toshiba netbook.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:28 am

Slightly off topic, but since OneNote is only available for Windows, what's the best notetaking program for Macs? Or is it really worth it to install Parallels?

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:41 am

iamrobk wrote:Slightly off topic, but since OneNote is only available for Windows, what's the best notetaking program for Macs? Or is it really worth it to install Parallels?

oh dear. hopefully the notetaking programs aren't hard to figure out...what's Parallels?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:42 am

iamrobk wrote:Slightly off topic, but since OneNote is only available for Windows, what's the best notetaking program for Macs? Or is it really worth it to install Parallels?
Circus Ponies, but apparently it falls a bit short of OneNote.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 am

Geneva wrote:

oh dear. hopefully the notetaking programs aren't hard to figure out...what's Parallels?
Parallels creates a virtual computer inside your Mac, allowing you to run Windows (and thus Windows software).

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 am

I made the mistake of playing around with one. Now I'm lusting after it.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 am

Postby 2014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:33 pm

dextermorgan wrote:

I made the mistake of playing around with one. Now I'm lusting after it.

+++

I absolutely do NOT need one and I can think of about 500 better ways to spend 800 extra bucks, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”