Late Paralegal Hiring

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ialdabaoth

Late Paralegal Hiring

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sat May 05, 2012 1:00 am

From what I've read, most biglaw firms hire paralegals in the late winter into spring to begin in the summer. I've had a change of plans and am now moving to NYC in August (from somewhere in the Southeast) and am looking for paralegal work in New York.

Any tips on which firms hire paralegals later or hire continuously/as needed? I don't care if I'm working for a V5 or V10, but I'd like to make good money and am willing to work the shit ton of overtime that biglaw paralegal jobs usually require.

Also, any input on what range of firms to target my apps to would be much appreciated. I really don't have a solid grasp of my chances, and I know that some firms basically only hire from the Ivies (and similar). I have a 4.0 in an honors program at a decent Southern public with lots of the typical campus/community leadership, research experience (policy/social sciences), etc.

blurbz

Re: Late Paralegal Hiring

Postby blurbz » Sat May 05, 2012 1:04 am

Ialdabaoth wrote:From what I've read, most biglaw firms hire paralegals in the late winter into spring to begin in the summer. I've had a change of plans and am now moving to NYC in August (from somewhere in the Southeast) and am looking for paralegal work in New York.

Any tips on which firms hire paralegals later or hire continuously/as needed? I don't care if I'm working for a V5 or V10, but I'd like to make good money and am willing to work the shit ton of overtime that biglaw paralegal jobs usually require.

Also, any input on what range of firms to target my apps to would be much appreciated. I really don't have a solid grasp of my chances, and I know that some firms basically only hire from the Ivies (and similar). I have a 4.0 in an honors program at a decent Southern public with lots of the typical campus/community leadership, research experience (policy/social sciences), etc.

There was a paralegal thread a while back that has some insights: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=183229

I think the general opinion is that the very top firms fill their paralegal ranks through on campus consortia at top undergrads but you can mass mail the rest of the biglaw firms with some success. If you've got the time, I think you should toss a letter at the top firms, anyway: It doesn't hurt to try and it won't take too much time.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sat May 05, 2012 1:38 am

Okay, thanks for your response!

So you don't think coming from a non-prestigious undergrad will get my resume thrown out? I know this is kind of a dumb question and that I should just apply anyways and see what happens, but I'm just curious to hear opinions because there doesn't seem to be a general consensus.

Also, is a two-page resume all right? Some of the orgs I've worked for have really long names (gov't acronyms) that make it difficult to format for one page, ha.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat May 05, 2012 1:45 am

I'll have to defer on those questions: I just don't know enough about paralegal hiring. I know a number of biglaw paralegals who did not go to hyper-prestigious undergrads, but they're not working NYC biglaw.

I suspect you'll want to try to get your resume down to 1 page because that's the recommended length for law students applying for jobs at the same firms....but, like I said, I don't really know anything!

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sat May 05, 2012 1:08 pm

blurbz wrote:I'll have to defer on those questions: I just don't know enough about paralegal hiring. I know a number of biglaw paralegals who did not go to hyper-prestigious undergrads, but they're not working NYC biglaw.

I suspect you'll want to try to get your resume down to 1 page because that's the recommended length for law students applying for jobs at the same firms....but, like I said, I don't really know anything!

Thanks!

Anyone else have input on these questions/issues?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat May 05, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm moving this and giving you a short ban, per
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”