TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby dextermorgan » Fri May 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Birdnals wrote:As an additional question: What hair gel should a 1L use? I am thinking a pomade to say “I like to look good, but I am too busy doing lawl shit to spend much time fussing with hair”.

I would also appreciate toothpaste suggestions for success (keep in mind I will be going to school in the Midwest) but I don’t want to open up that Pandora’s box of a debate between the “plaque killing /fresh breath is paramount” vs. “white teeth land more biglaw” factions.

Law is a conservative profession, so go with Crest Regular Paste.

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby drbarry987 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:58 pm

I thought you had to have a Brooks Bros 1818 suit an AE park aves to get nyc v20 callbacks, ITE. (srs). Even if the majority of partners don't care, so probably do so minus well look good. Especially if your already jacked and spend time on fitness. Why not throw down for a prestigious wardrobe prior to 1L?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 pm

drbarry987 wrote:I thought you had to have a Brooks Bros 1818 suit an AE park aves to get nyc v20 callbacks, ITE. (srs). Even if the majority of partners don't care, so probably do so minus well look good. Especially if your already jacked and spend time on fitness. Why not throw down for a prestigious wardrobe prior to 1L?


Aww man it was just a flame. Good work.

User avatar
Relientkate
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby Relientkate » Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 am

You're a dude starting law school? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T FORGET TO BUY BOATSHOES

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby Geaux12 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 am

Relientkate wrote:You're a dude starting law school? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T FORGET TO BUY BOATSHOES



Where have you been for the last 10 years?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby Mike12188 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Where have you been for the last 10 years?


Great post bro. Gotta make people know you where boat shoes whether in person or online. You'll def. fit in in LS.

User avatar
GoldenGloves
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby GoldenGloves » Sun May 06, 2012 12:14 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Have been trolling the mens mega clothing thread but it seems mostly geared towards 2Ls. For an incoming 1L, how much should I buy now vs. wait? I'm starting my professional wardrobe from absolute scratch. From what I read here so far it sounds like it would be most credited to wait til mid-June for the BB and Nordstrom semi-annual sales and then get:

-Navy Fitz Suit ->get tailored
-Black AE Park Aves & Dark Brown AE Park Aves
-6 BB noniron slims (2 white point collar for suit; 4 white/blue patterned button downs)
-Charcoal, Light Gray and navy regent fit gabardine trousers
-Reversible belt, 6 pairs each of charcoal, brown, navy socks


This sound right? Any need to buy a blazer or a second suit? Am I missing anything? tyia, guys; just trying to knock the clothing stuff out before school starts up.

This is pretty damn spot-on.

I usually give guys this list (a bit trimmed down from yours, buy better quality or just save $):

1. Navy blazer (hip patch pockets, barchetta breast pocket, side vents).
2. Charcoal Flannel suit (hip flap pockets and barchetta breast pocket, side vents). Works well in any situation and the pants can easily be worn with the above blazer.
3. 1 white shirt, 1 blue shirt, 3 blue/white striped shirts. Semi-spread to spread collar with barrel cuffs. OCBDs can come later and straight point collars have no place in a well dressed man’s wardrobe.
4. Brown and black calf captoes.
5. Snuff suede chukka boots.
6. 1 or 2 pairs of Levi's 501 shrink-to-fits.

Just remember: FIT IS KING. & read this blog. Enjoy being best dressed.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby Geaux12 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:Where have you been for the last 10 years?


Great post bro. Gotta make people know you where boat shoes whether in person or online. You'll def. fit in in LS.


I'm glad I communicated all the intended smugness and pretention. Keep me honest, TLS.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby kaiser » Sun May 06, 2012 12:18 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:Have been trolling the mens mega clothing thread but it seems mostly geared towards 2Ls. For an incoming 1L, how much should I buy now vs. wait? I'm starting my professional wardrobe from absolute scratch. From what I read here so far it sounds like it would be most credited to wait til mid-June for the BB and Nordstrom semi-annual sales and then get:

-Navy Fitz Suit ->get tailored
-Black AE Park Aves & Dark Brown AE Park Aves
-6 BB noniron slims (2 white point collar for suit; 4 white/blue patterned button downs)
-Charcoal, Light Gray and navy regent fit gabardine trousers
-Reversible belt, 6 pairs each of charcoal, brown, navy socks


This sound right? Any need to buy a blazer or a second suit? Am I missing anything? tyia, guys; just trying to knock the clothing stuff out before school starts up.

This is pretty damn spot-on.

I usually give guys this list (a bit trimmed down from yours, buy better quality or just save $):

1. Navy blazer (hip patch pockets, barchetta breast pocket, side vents).
2. Charcoal Flannel suit (hip flap pockets and barchetta breast pocket, side vents). Works well in any situation and the pants can easily be worn with the above blazer.
3. 1 white shirt, 1 blue shirt, 3 blue/white striped shirts. Semi-spread to spread collar with barrel cuffs. OCBDs can come later and straight point collars have no place in a well dressed man’s wardrobe.
4. Brown and black calf captoes.
5. Snuff suede chukka boots.
6. 1 or 2 pairs of Levi's 501 shrink-to-fits.

Just remember: FIT IS KING. & read this blog. Enjoy being best dressed.


You do realize that he was just trolling us, right? The fact that so many people are like "spot on choice!" only confirms how successful his trolling was

User avatar
GoldenGloves
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby GoldenGloves » Sun May 06, 2012 12:28 pm

kaiser wrote:You do realize that he was just trolling us, right? The fact that so many people are like "spot on choice!" only confirms how successful his trolling was

No, I didn't read anything but the OP, & I don't mind that it was a troll if it helps other people out. Too many people dress like shit.

thedive
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby thedive » Sun May 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Get one t-shirt for each NLJ 250 firm. Wear each shirt once until all have been shown off. Repeat. Why? Because the Yankees always win as everyone is busy looking at the pin strips, so bring that same mentality to law school. Also, the only pants that are acceptable are covered in rhinestones. A diamond studded necklace and earring are also a must. Shoes/socks are an option. All you need is a pair of beach sandals.

drbarry987
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: TLS Men's Fashion Gods: What to Buy Before 1L?

Postby drbarry987 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:12 pm

About to grab some stuff over the weekend at Brooks. Should you wear a forward point or ainsley collar to OCI- or does it matter?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... size=#null

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... olor=White

Or, are they both OK? 6'3", narrow face so I'm leaning towards the ainsley/spread but I'm also a fan on the TLS mantra, "don't wearing anything other than most traditional clothing during OCI". Plan on using four-in-hand knot.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests