Smartphone for Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ShastaNikki

Re: Smartphone for Law School?

Postby ShastaNikki » Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm

blurbz wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:
ShastaNikki wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:
lol i didn't even see your post sorry. i'll advise you tomorrow i am tired now. i was addressing the op

...yeah, but the OP didn't ask about models, either.

Favre4Prez wrote:My question is this; is there any conceivable advantage to having a smartphone is law school? Does it make life significantly easier? Or, does it not matter?

lol. I advise you to get this phone

--LinkRemoved--)+-+Red&q_sku=sku5990223#fbid=5qsKen2EYvW

The LG Expression you don't need a data plan and it's 50 bucks after rebate. It has nice features.

I hope that's really a shitty phone and you're recommending it now because they tried to call you out for giving good, though unsolicited, advice. Your post was helpful--I don't understand the hate.

There was no hate and I thanked him for his useful advice. I was simply pointing out that, while claiming to address the OP's question, he was not.
People on these forums get so snippy if they (or others) are informed that they posted inconsistent, redundant, or irrelevant things without reading the whole thread first (and not acknowledging they didn't read the whole thread). It's only 26 posts at this point, for crying out loud!
We're prospective, current, and former law students; if you're going to state "I was addressing the OP" as your excuse for thinking you are answering a question without actually reading a question, then at least make sure that is the question the OP was asking, too. Do you plan to take law exams, represent future clients, or write that publishable article on a topic without researching said topic first, or are you just going to glance over the subject headings and cite shit willy-nilly?

EDIT: If you don't want to read the whole thread, then that's fine. But don't get pissy and say you hope someone is giving shitty advice just because someone clarifies the original question when a poster didn't state he or she hadn't read the whole thing and seemed confused.
Last edited by ShastaNikki on Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed May 09, 2012 8:35 pm

didn't read the thread. i got a smart phone for law school. it's helpful and all but totally unnecessary. now that i'm getting paid $15 an hour for the summer, i wonder why i have a $70 per month K for 1.3 more years.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Wed May 09, 2012 8:35 pm

albanach wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:
The LG Expression you don't need a data plan and it's 50 bucks after rebate. It has nice features.

50 bucks with a two year contract that most students will be borrowing at 8.5% to pay for. Cheapest contract appears to be $40/month. Plus 20 cents per text message sent or received. If you send/receive over 100 text messages a month, you can get a bundle for $20, pushing your plan up to $60/month. After tax you'll be paying over $1,500 for the phone.

If you're taking out loans you'll pay back about $19 a month for ten years after graduation. Total repayments will be in the region of $2,300.

You are absolutely correct and also seem to be good at math. I did not advise her to use AT&T. I would choose a prepaid Verizon plan as they are the best in my opinion and you can pay $50 a month for unlimited talk text and web on a basic phone. You can't beat that.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Favre4Prez wrote:I really just don't care and am stubborn to change my lifestyle. I don't even know how I am posting on this forum right now quite honestly. Technology literally makes me want to throw up, and my friends/girlfriend/family telling me to get with the times kind of bother me.

Exactly what kind of lawyer do you intend on being?

ShastaNikki

Postby ShastaNikki » Wed May 09, 2012 8:41 pm

bartleby wrote:didn't read the thread. i got a smart phone for law school. it's helpful and all but totally unnecessary. now that i'm getting paid $15 an hour for the summer, i wonder why i have a $70 per month K for 1.3 more years.

Thanks, the unnecessary part is what I was wondering about. Seems illogical for the cost, even if I'm not having to pay it, I know my mother would appreciate taking my data plan off our family plan.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm

ShastaNikki wrote:
There was no hate and I thanked him for his useful advice. I was simply pointing out that, while claiming to address the OP's question, he was not.
People on these forums get so snippy if they (or others) are informed that they posted inconsistent, redundant, or irrelevant things without reading the whole thread first (and not acknowledging they didn't read the whole thread). It's only 26 posts at this point, for crying out loud!
We're prospective, current, and former law students; if you're going to state "I was addressing the OP" as your excuse for thinking you are answering a question without actually reading a question, then at least make sure that is the question the OP was asking, too. Do you plan to take law exams, represent future clients, or write that publishable article on a topic without researching said topic first, or are you just going to glance over the subject headings and cite shit willy-nilly?

EDIT: If you don't want to read the whole thread, then that's fine. But don't get pissy and say you hope someone is giving shitty advice just because someone clarifies the original question when a poster didn't state he or she hadn't read the whole thing and seemed confused.

:) qfp

Edit: and fine, I'll answer the OP, too. I love my smartphone. Sure, it costs a bit, but having internet and email access all the time is incredibly useful to me.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:04 pm

albanach wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:

50 bucks with a two year contract that most students will be borrowing at 8.5% to pay for. Cheapest contract appears to be $40/month. Plus 20 cents per text message sent or received. If you send/receive over 100 text messages a month, you can get a bundle for $20, pushing your plan up to $60/month. After tax you'll be paying over $1,500 for the phone.

If you're taking out loans you'll pay back about $19 a month for ten years after graduation. Total repayments will be in the region of $2,300.

Every little bit counts I suppose, but in the face of 6 figures of debt I don't think most people will be too worried about their cell phone bill.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Thu May 10, 2012 11:33 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Favre4Prez wrote:I really just don't care and am stubborn to change my lifestyle. I don't even know how I am posting on this forum right now quite honestly. Technology literally makes me want to throw up, and my friends/girlfriend/family telling me to get with the times kind of bother me.

Exactly what kind of lawyer do you intend on being?

All I know at this point is that I don't want to do litigation. I am way too soft-spoken and unassertive. I would like to make around 60K/year eventually.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”