DoJ Internship/Summer Law Intern Program Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JDYesPlease

New

DoJ Internship/Summer Law Intern Program

Post by JDYesPlease » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Current 0L with plans to attend T2 school. Anyone have any insight on DoJ internships? Do they pick only from T14? Am I dreaming coming from a T2?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: DoJ Internship/Summer Law Intern Program

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Are you talking about the DOJ Honors program?

JDYesPlease

New

Post by JDYesPlease » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Hmmmm...haven't even researched that far. Probably a good idea before posting on this website. Here's what I was referring to:

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/students.html

The Honors Program wasn't listed on this page. Guess what I'm really after is some info on how difficult it is to get accepted into these programs, and what the preferred avenues are for securing employment post-internship.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm

The SLIP program is extremely difficult, more so than Biglaw. The odds of working for the DOJ straight out of law school are very, very small.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm

I have a friend at a T2 that did the DOJ honors program. She's doing quite well academically, though, Dean's list for the last 3 semesters (whatever that means).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm a SLIP intern this summer, and I'm not T14. So no, being from some other school won't destroy you. That said, it's tough all-around to get into no matter where you are.

JDYesPlease

New

Post by JDYesPlease » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Excellent info...many thanks to those who replied.

Couple more Qs - Is DoJ something that you have to make clear to your school's CSO as a primary interest from day one? Or is it something that you won't know if you qualify for until after you receive your first year grades? The website says that SLIP interns are normally 2L - 3L, so I wonder if I shouldn't even be thinking about it until I know where I stand. I have a neighbor who works as an AUSA in Baltimore, but he's a little older and I'm not sure if he knows a lot about the current recruitment process. He was also an academic superstar from an incredible law school, so the process may have been different for him. Also, I currently have career status as a federal employee with the DoD - does anyone know if this would make a difference? Maybe even hurt more than help? Thanks!!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 pm

SLIP is done the summer of your 2L year, so you will need to wait until you get first-year grades back. It's not typically done through the career services office, it has its own application. It's based on a lot of different things, such as grades, softs, etc.

Honors is the only way to really get hired into DOJ straight out of law school. It's extremely competitive.

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/entry.html

Other, wiser people will have to speak as to the career status with DOD. I have no idea about that.

JDYesPlease

New

Post by JDYesPlease » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:15 pm

kalvano - thanks again for the insight. Here's what they put in the section for selection criteria:

"Selections are made based on many elements of a candidate’s background including a demonstrated commitment to government service, academic achievement, leadership, law review or moot court experience, legal aid and clinical experience, past employment, and extracurricular activities that relate to the work of Justice and the relevant component."

mi-chan 17 - would you be willing to list some of the things that stood out in your application? I really appreciate your input as well.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I think having prior federal employment can only help you. It goes to showing that you're committed to government service, which is something DOJ cares a lot about.

Like Kalvano said, CSO isn't really involved in SLIP applications, since it's separate from OCI and there's no nomination requirement (unlike PMF). So, although you might want to tell your career person that you're interested in government (in the unlikely event they know what they're doing and can help you puzzle your way through the process), it's not required or anything.

In terms of my own application, I'm a little skittish about being too detailed about my resume since I don't want to out myself. But I can tell you generally what I had going on: prior FT work experience (in government), federal internships (with widely applicable experience gained), classes relevant to the mission of the component, journal (and a relevant note topic), leadership positions in related extracurriculars, relevant 2L classes, and solid grades.

I think that the grades, journal, prior government internships, and possibly the relevant classes (because what I do is somewhat specialized) were key for them. My resume said government all over it. That said, I haven't actually asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”