Cooley 3L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
newguy

Cooley 3L taking questions

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm

I know most here are not big fans of Cooley, and that is fine.

If however anyone here has any questions as a potential student (or 1L ) please ask and I will my best to answer it.

dingbat

Re: Cooley 3L taking questions

Postby dingbat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:50 pm

How many of your classmates have managed to secure employment?

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm

dingbat wrote:How many of your classmates have managed to secure employment?

And what sort of employment?

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:37 pm

As far as summer interships? All.

As far as beyond that? Still in school for another year, so we'll see.

Many have mentioned JAG, FBI, and Prosocution jobs lined up. I havn't polled the class as a whole though.

Most of the ones with lawyer jobs are those in our LLM program. I am in the joint JD/LLM degree so those ones tend to be all employed in law fields (firms, solo, etc)

I'd say nearly 100% within a year of passing the bar. I havn't asked their salaries though. Seems a bit personal.

If any OL's want to ask about the school itself, that is mostly what I can offer.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:54 pm

I call bullshit. I know someone who was #1 in the class at Cooley a few years ago. He clerked for a year, was unemployed for 2-3, accepted another clerkship with a senior judge because it was all he could find, and was hired by Cooley to teach after that year ends (starts next year I believe) because they wanted to be able to say he was employed.

The selection rate for JAG is less than 10% of all applicants, for FBI its like 5%, and prosecutors (even amongst top schools) is pretty low. Either Cooley is placing WAY better than statistics suggest is possible or the majority of the class isn't doing one of those three things. They may want to, but I want to own a Ferrari.

I know of several other top Cooley grads who are employed, but in non-legal jobs. Also, there were several Cooley grads (claimed to be in top of class) that were doing unpaid judicial internships their 2L summer last summer (every other school represented were 1Ls). At least one guy was a 3L and hoped it would up his chances of getting an unpaid, that's right unpaid, internship after passing the bar.

Not to mention all of the "self-employed" defense lawyers I see roaming around Ann Arbor and Detroit scrambling for appointments.

Also, joining the FBI doesn't require a JD. In fact, your selection odds would be greater if you joined the military for 2-4 years. Or, you could get a degree in accounting. JDs are actually the lowest selected group of qualifying applicants. You'd end up doing the exact same job once in. Doesn't seem worth the debt to me.
Last edited by The Duck on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeahhhh, JAG isn't something you just waltz into. Ditto FBI and prosecution. Given the size of Cooley, I really doubt people are just casually finding jobs in those fields.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:00 pm

The Duck wrote:I call bullshit. I know someone who was #1 in the class at Cooley a few years ago. He clerked for a year, was unemployed for 2-3, accepted another clerkship with a senior judge because it was all he could find, and was hired by Cooley to teach after that year ends (starts next year I believe) because they wanted to be able to say he was employed.

The selection rate for JAG is less than 10% of all applicants, for FBI its like 5%, and prosecutors (even amongst top schools) is pretty low. Either Cooley is placing WAY better than statistics suggest is possible or the majority of the class isn't doing one of those three things. They may want to, but I want to own a Ferrari.

I know of several other top Cooley grads who are employed, but in non-legal jobs. Also, there were several Cooley grads (claimed to be in top of class) that were doing unpaid judicial internships their 2L summer. At least one guy was a 3L and hoped it would up his chances of getting an unpaid, that's right unpaid, internship after passing the bar.

+1

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 pm

newguy wrote:As far as summer interships? All.

Many have mentioned JAG, FBI, and Prosocution jobs lined up. I havn't polled the class as a whole though.

Most of the ones with lawyer jobs are those in our LLM program. I am in the joint JD/LLM degree so those ones tend to be all employed in law fields (firms, solo, etc)

I'd say nearly 100% within a year of passing the bar. I havn't asked their salaries though. Seems a bit personal.

If any OL's want to ask about the school itself, that is mostly what I can offer.

Not sure how you could know that every single one of your classmates has an internship lined up for the summer, but...

Aside from that, it seems that Cooley has lived up to its reputation as the second-best law school in the land. Nearly 100% post-bar passage employment - watch out Harvard!

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:04 pm

how convenient that someone makes a fresh account just to tell us that the career prospects at cooley aren't that bad.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Nearly 100% as lawyers? I call BS. Only about 58% of grads get full time legal jobs after graduation. I'd imagine it's worse than this at one of the least respected lawl schools in the nation.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Why did you choose Cooley?

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:32 pm

NinerFan wrote:Yeahhhh, JAG isn't something you just waltz into. Ditto FBI and prosecution. Given the size of Cooley, I really doubt people are just casually finding jobs in those fields.

It's really not that hard. People make a lot of assumptions.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Why did you choose Cooley?

where else can you get a full ride with a 160?

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 pm

rad lulz wrote:Nearly 100% as lawyers? I call BS. Only about 58% of grads get full time legal jobs after graduation. I'd imagine it's worse than this at one of the least respected lawl schools in the nation.

You guys need to learn to read. The ones I meet in the LLM courses.

They are not the group as a whole.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:35 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:how convenient that someone makes a fresh account just to tell us that the career prospects at cooley aren't that bad.

I didn't. I did it to answer questions that those signing up for it might have.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:35 pm

newguy wrote:
NinerFan wrote:Yeahhhh, JAG isn't something you just waltz into. Ditto FBI and prosecution. Given the size of Cooley, I really doubt people are just casually finding jobs in those fields.

No, it really is that hard. I know dozens of jags. 10% is conservative and includes prior military. 5% for FBI also includes prior military and other federal agencies. You're just trolling.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:36 pm

wildhaggis wrote:
newguy wrote:As far as summer interships? All.

Not sure how you could know that every single one of your classmates has an internship lined up for the summer, but...

Aside from that, it seems that Cooley has lived up to its reputation as the second-best law school in the land. Nearly 100% post-bar passage employment - watch out Harvard!

It's not that hard to get one. The school helps line them up for you if you need it. It's really pretty simple. The lowest student in the class can still do it. It's not hard.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 pm

newguy wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Nearly 100% as lawyers? I call BS. Only about 58% of grads get full time legal jobs after graduation. I'd imagine it's worse than this at one of the least respected lawl schools in the nation.

You guys need to learn to read. The ones I meet in the LLM courses.

They are not the group as a whole.

Yes, but how many of those already had or maintained legal jobs they went back to? That doesn't speak to Cooley's impact.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 pm

newguy wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't much care to bash schools, but there is no way you can say that JAG/FBI/DA gigs are "not that hard" to get. These have single digit acceptance rates. I don't care where you, these are exceedingly difficult to get.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 pm

The Duck wrote:
newguy wrote:

No, it really is that hard. I know dozens of jags. 10% is conservative and includes prior military. 5% for FBI also includes prior military and other federal agencies. You're just trolling.

I didn't say everyone did. Just that some did.
I am ex military too. Militatry isn't for everyone, but for those who can do it, you would be a fool to think they care who graduated you.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 pm

bigeast03 wrote:
newguy wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I don't much care to bash schools, but there is no way you can say that JAG/FBI/DA gigs are "not that hard" to get. These have single digit acceptance rates. I don't care where you, these are exceedingly difficult to get.

Not that hard if you meet the standard. They don't care where you came from. Being the largest law school in the nation only an idiot would think there wouldn't be dozens rolling into it each and every year.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:43 pm

newguy wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:
newguy wrote:

Not that hard if you meet the standard. They don't care where you came from. Being the largest law school in the nation only an idiot would think there wouldn't be dozens rolling into it each and every year.

These jobs post single digit acceptance rates combined for all schools. The Air Force hires about 100 people, the Navy less than that, and the Army a little more each year. And you're saying that dozens of these spots are from Cooley? You can't honestly believe that.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 pm

yes I do. Largest lawschool in nation. In reality it is the 5 largest in nation (just under one label) there you go.

It amazes me how people assume stuff and when someone who actually knows it speaks they all just put fingers in their ears. If you didn't want this info why reply to a post meant only to be directed to those who were already planning to enroll?
Last edited by newguy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Word.

class of 2011 stats. 586/927 were employed in any sort of job. That's 63%. http://placementsummary.abaquestionnair ... eport.aspx. I doubt that the class of 2012 will be 100% employed 9mos. out.

newguy

Postby newguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:50 pm

lobolawyer wrote:

Word.

class of 2011 stats. 586/927 were employed in any sort of job. That's 63%. http://placementsummary.abaquestionnair ... eport.aspx. I doubt that the class of 2012 will be 100% employed 9mos. out.

You can't even read. Try to read. (LLM students)

and you added the arbitrary number of months.
Last edited by newguy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”