THIS is how you hustle for a job...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:28 am

...but will it work?

Paul D. Anderson is a 3L at Missouri-Kansas City who wants to practice sports law. So does everybody and their brother. Unfortunately, (and unsurprisingly?) even with what sounds like solid grades and two decent summer jobs, Paul entered 2012 without a job lined up.

So, Paul started a blog in January tracking the lawsuits filed by former NFL players against the league over concussions. He has kept up well with the lawsuit and become a leading reporter on the cases. Numerous news sources have cited his blog and the Hang Up and Listen podcast did a short profile on him this week.

Despite this success, he is still looking for a job after graduation. Paul wants to avoid the plaintiffs' firms because he would eventually like to work for the NFL or an NFL team, but hopes to "work at a firm in Kansas City and develop a niche Complex Sports Litigation Practice."

Thought I would share this because I found it to be an interesting story and one that highlights the degree of difficulty and competition in getting a job in a high-demand niche field, especially from a lower-tier school like UMKC. Plus, he seems like a good guy and maybe a little extra publicity will help him get that job he's looking for.

Any sports law experts around here? What are the odds Paul gets a sports law job in Kansas City this year? How many sports law jobs can there be in KC? What are the odds he eventually makes it as an NFL lawyer? Is he more likely to end up in some sort of legal journalism career?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30 am

Nice try, Paul.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am

Samara wrote:...but will it work?

Paul D. Anderson is a 3L at Missouri-Kansas City who wants to practice sports law. So does everybody and their brother. Unfortunately, (and unsurprisingly?) even with what sounds like solid grades and two decent summer jobs, Paul entered 2012 without a job lined up.

So, Paul started a blog in January tracking the lawsuits filed by former NFL players against the league over concussions. He has kept up well with the lawsuit and become a leading reporter on the cases. Numerous news sources have cited his blog and the Hang Up and Listen podcast did a short profile on him this week.

Despite this success, he is still looking for a job after graduation. Paul wants to avoid the plaintiffs' firms because he would eventually like to work for the NFL or an NFL team, but hopes to "work at a firm in Kansas City and develop a niche Complex Sports Litigation Practice."

Thought I would share this because I found it to be an interesting story and one that highlights the degree of difficulty and competition in getting a job in a high-demand niche field, especially from a lower-tier school like UMKC. Plus, he seems like a good guy and maybe a little extra publicity will help him get that job he's looking for.

Any sports law experts around here? What are the odds Paul gets a sports law job in Kansas City this year? How many sports law jobs can there be in KC? What are the odds he eventually makes it as an NFL lawyer? Is he more likely to end up in some sort of legal journalism career?


Slim. You generally need to work biglaw to end up working for a league. The usual path is biglaw firm with league/team clients > in-house.

I listened to a talk by a former college athlete who hustled his way into an agent's gig from a TTT school, but he stressed that agencies will really only hire you if you played in college/pro. Winning your fantasy sports league three years running doesn't count.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Nice try, Paul.


+1. I think this thread is a net loss for Paul.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Agent wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Nice try, Paul.


+1. I think this thread is a net loss for Paul.

:?:

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby MrAnon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Samara wrote:...but will it work?

Paul D. Anderson is a 3L at Missouri-Kansas City who wants to practice sports law. So does everybody and their brother. Unfortunately, (and unsurprisingly?) even with what sounds like solid grades and two decent summer jobs, Paul entered 2012 without a job lined up.

So, Paul started a blog in January tracking the lawsuits filed by former NFL players against the league over concussions. He has kept up well with the lawsuit and become a leading reporter on the cases. Numerous news sources have cited his blog and the Hang Up and Listen podcast did a short profile on him this week.

Despite this success, he is still looking for a job after graduation. Paul wants to avoid the plaintiffs' firms because he would eventually like to work for the NFL or an NFL team, but hopes to "work at a firm in Kansas City and develop a niche Complex Sports Litigation Practice."

Thought I would share this because I found it to be an interesting story and one that highlights the degree of difficulty and competition in getting a job in a high-demand niche field, especially from a lower-tier school like UMKC. Plus, he seems like a good guy and maybe a little extra publicity will help him get that job he's looking for.

Any sports law experts around here? What are the odds Paul gets a sports law job in Kansas City this year? How many sports law jobs can there be in KC? What are the odds he eventually makes it as an NFL lawyer? Is he more likely to end up in some sort of legal journalism career?


If he wanted to work for the NFL i think he should have gone straight into that instead of going to law school.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:01 pm

MrAnon wrote:If he wanted to work for the NFL i think he should have gone straight into that instead of going to law school.

It does seem like he's screwed out of the NFL by raising the profile of an issue they want to sweep under the rug. It sucks that his blog is so successful, but probably won't lead to a sports lawyer job. If he's not in too much debt though, I think he should continue in sports journalism. With legal issues growing in the NFL and other leagues, I imagine there will be demand for sports law expertise in journalism. I'm curious to see what he does.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby RedBirds2011 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Samara wrote:
MrAnon wrote:If he wanted to work for the NFL i think he should have gone straight into that instead of going to law school.

It does seem like he's screwed out of the NFL by raising the profile of an issue they want to sweep under the rug. It sucks that his blog is so successful, but probably won't lead to a sports lawyer job. If he's not in too much debt though, I think he should continue in sports journalism. With legal issues growing in the NFL and other leagues, I imagine there will be demand for sports law expertise in journalism. I'm curious to see what he does.


He needs to use that same hustle to obtain more realistic work. Anecdotal, but I have a close family friend that I know who represents/represented an NFL team. He is a biglaw partner and went to a T14.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby jkpolk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm

I stopped reading the blog when I saw the guy's tie.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby RedBirds2011 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

polkij333 wrote:I stopped reading the blog when I saw the guy's tie.


It's a stl cardinals tie! Can't go wrong with that. I'd hire him lol

User avatar
2LsAPlenty
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I applaud the effort, but like most of the TLS people, the odds are against hitting the home run and making it big in your desired area of law. Moreover, Kansas City is hardly a sports law mecca. There might be 2 or 3 attorneys who specialize in that in town if that.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby 20130312 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Yuck.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I can understand wanting to rep for your team (go Cardinals!) but there are better looking STL ties than that.

I hope things work out for this guy. The battle will be very uphill for him though.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:47 pm

1. That's not the subdued sort of sports tie that is generally acceptable.

2. I've heard so much "advice" about using social media to get jobs through blogging and other connections. I'm not sure if this is true and I don't believe stories like this until he gets a job. My OCS kept telling me to cold-call partners for coffee. After striking out for months on end, I went back to them and they asked if it had helped, because they had never checked to see if that strategy worked.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby bartleby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Even though kinda lame - impressed by the hustle (as long as you are hustling in more traditional ways too)

User avatar
angrybird
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby angrybird » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm

i mean his blog is cool and all, but it's no #whatshouldwecallme

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby nealric » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:50 pm

I think that story is exhibit A of how not to hustle for a job. Keeping up a tip-top blog is a huge time commitment, and the chances of it getting noticed by prospective employers are pretty slim.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 pm

nealric wrote:I think that story is exhibit A of how not to hustle for a job. Keeping up a tip-top blog is a huge time commitment, and the chances of it getting noticed by prospective employers are pretty slim.


I will say though that keeping a tip-top LinkedIn profile and strategically joining groups, liking companies and events, and sharing news stories is a great way to get noticed. I got two unsolicited BigLaw/BigCorp non-headhunder job interviews that way.

User avatar
superbloom
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby superbloom » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:17 pm

I just hope there are more people like this at my school.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby Cupidity » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Everyone knows that plaintiff's side sports law is where its at.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

superbloom wrote:I just hope there are more people like this at my school.


I've met some who smartly did this on non-controversial topics before law school, so they had a broad Google presence, then stopped in law school so they could ace exams and network.

User avatar
2LsAPlenty
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:20 am

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 am

I met someone who had a Blog entitled "I Have An Opinion About Everything." I heard he had a tough time getting serious interviews.

User avatar
bankruptedcasino
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby bankruptedcasino » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

His chances of getting a job would have increased dramatically had he not worn that tie to every interview at OCI. :?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11785
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 pm

I hope things work out for that dude, but it seems totally unlikely. I know the guy who does general counsel for the Giants and he went to Yale, then biglaw, then city attorney's office, then Giants. I'm pretty sure you can't just start a blog and then get a sweet job. I wish it worked that way.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: THIS is how you hustle for a job...

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:25 pm

yeah if he had used the time he spent writing this blog on contacting possible employers then that would be hustling. IMO, however, this was largely a waste of time and probably will not lead to employment.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joezze, latif, onmytiptoes and 4 guests