Yearlong classes?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DC_Patent_Law

Yearlong classes?

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:45 am

Does anyone go to a school that has yearlong first year classes? What's your take on it? I know one person who had yearlong classes and hated it because it dragged on too long.

DC_Patent_Law

Re: Yearlong classes?

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 pm

bump

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am

Wow, no one taking yearlong classes?! I know Loyola still has yearlong classes and UT used to.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Yes, most of SMU's first-year classes run for the full year. Contracts, Property, Civ Pro, Legal Writing, and Torts. Crim Law is only one semester, and it switches with Con Law the following semester. It's pretty miserable. It allows the professors to ramble on and spread everything out instead of forcing them to be succinct. Plus, you just get burnt out on taking the same subject for so long.

That said, it shouldn't be the deciding factor in where you go to school.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes, most of SMU's first-year classes run for the full year. Contracts, Property, Civ Pro, Legal Writing, and Torts. Crim Law is only one semester, and it switches with Con Law the following semester. It's pretty miserable. It allows the professors to ramble on and spread everything out instead of forcing them to be succinct. Plus, you just get burnt out on taking the same subject for so long.

That said, it shouldn't be the deciding factor in where you go to school.

Thanks. Between two schools that are substantially similar, would it be a deciding factor?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

If I were deciding between two schools that were similar in terms of cost, placement, and location, then I would pick which social atmosphere I liked best or which school had prettier facilities. Classes, yearlong or otherwise, wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:44 pm

LLSer here. Some ppl here like it and some dont. The first semester final is treated as a mid term - and the second semester Final is usually worth more of your grade - then both are used to calculate ure overall grade.

So for Civ Pro - it was 30%, then 70%. The final tally is then applied to both semester's units. hth.

I like it b/c i can improve upon a lackluster 1st semester CivPro grade.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm

In light of that, I should clarify that my classes had no midterms. One grade in the fall for 100%, another in the spring for 100%.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Shammis wrote:LLSer here. Some ppl here like it and some dont. The first semester final is treated as a mid term - and the second semester Final is usually worth more of your grade - then both are used to calculate ure overall grade.

So for Civ Pro - it was 30%, then 70%. The final tally is then applied to both semester's units. hth.

I like it b/c i can improve upon a lackluster 1st semester CivPro grade.

Thanks. That's what I figured as well, that a first bite at the apple will help you re-calibrate. How many classes at LLS are yearlong? I'm actually deciding between LLS and USD. Thanks

@Cinephile: I agree, atmosphere makes a huge difference since I'll be spending a ton of time at school/libraries etc.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”