Feeling uncertain about the future

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CincinnatusND

Feeling uncertain about the future

Postby CincinnatusND » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:31 pm

-
Last edited by CincinnatusND on Tue May 01, 2012 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

dissonance1848

Re: Feeling uncertain about the future

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Law school is bad for most people. If you keep your GPA as high as possible, you would be able to go to the trinity (HYS), or get scholly money at CCN. Go for it, if you can keep up the GPA and get that 176+ LSAT score.

As for working your ass off, sorry, thats the real world for you.

Postby 2014 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:31 am

You are off to a good start regarding GPA and LSAT but ultimately your quality of life is going to be miserable if you don't even want to be a lawyer. It's a serious commitment on a lot of levels and you really should be all in. Fortunately you have 2 years to figure it out, just keep your GPA high and it will always be an option.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:04 am

I find it pretentious that you think you can get into elite schools after one year of college and having never taken the LSAT.

You sound like a douche. You are correct though. You are going to law school for all the wrong reasons. You should go live your life first and find out about who you really are. Going to law school as a 21yr old is a huge mistake.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:12 am

shoeshine wrote:I find it pretentious that you think you can get into elite schools after one year of college and having never taken the LSAT.

You sound like a douche. You are correct though. You are going to law school for all the wrong reasons. You should go live your life first and find out about who you really are. Going to law school as a 21yr old is a huge mistake.

:cry:

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:16 am

Yeshia90 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:I find it pretentious that you think you can get into elite schools after one year of college and having never taken the LSAT.

:cry:

Sorry Bro. But I think it is a mistake for most 21 year olds.

Most 21 years old don't know enough about themselves or what they want to do with their lives to justify taking 150k+ in loans and locking themselves into one specific career path.

But maybe you are the exception...(probably not)

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:27 am

Well, like your avatar reminds us all, "haters gonna gate."

I was simply presenting relevant facts to my situation in order to elicit accurate and helpful advice. You don't know me at all and the attack is highly unnecessary.

I appreciate all well intentioned responses.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:34 am

Three valid reasons why I was mean to you:

1. Law school is lots of work. If you don't like work you will not do well in law school.
2. If you went to law school straight through UG you would be the youngest one there. You would have a hard time relating to people socially. If you are having a hard time fitting in socially in UG it will be much worse in UG.
3. Practice tests mean nothing. You literally have no idea what your options will be till you have a hard GPA and LSAT to apply with. You have neither at this point, just a lot of undue confidence.

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:43 am

shoeshine wrote:Three valid reasons why I was mean to you:

1. Law school is lots of work. If you don't like work you will not do well in law school.
2. If you went to law school straight through UG you would be the youngest one there. You would have a hard time relating to people socially. If you are having a hard time fitting in socially in UG it will be much worse in UG.
3. Practice tests mean nothing. You literally have no idea what your options will be till you have a hard GPA and LSAT to apply with. You have neither at this point, just a lot of undue confidence.

I fail to see why any of those are reasons to be mean, particularly 1 and 2. Practice tests most definitely mean something, to say they mean nothing is absurd.

I came here asking for advice, not blissfully avoiding it, there is no reason to be so rude. Especially since your "reasons" are all things that I brought up as issues (barring number 3).
Last edited by CincinnatusND on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:44 am

CincinnatusND wrote:

I fail to see why any of those are reasons to be mean, particularly 1 and 2. Practice tests most definitely mean something, to say they mean nothing is absurd.

Dude, he's being mean because this is a) the internet, and b) more specifically, TLS, and because you came off as somewhat pretentious in your introductory post. Also, because it's 3 in the morning and there's no room for subtlety. Come back tomorrow with clear heads and this won't devolve into a pissing match.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:00 am

a whole lot of people who pt in the mid 170 range score below 170 on the real deal. to be honest though I think shoeshine is getting at the fact that you sound like a lot of the law students that make a lot of people say "i hate law students". a lot of people who feel that they are too smart for law school and pretty much the world. dude if college is so easy just switch to pre-med and cure cancer or something.

sorry I'm mostly just razzing you but there are a ton of people in law school who feel like they settled and that their intellect is being wasted and they all seem pretty miserable.

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 am

FlanAl wrote:a whole lot of people who pt in the mid 170 range score below 170 on the real deal. to be honest though I think shoeshine is getting at the fact that you sound like a lot of the law students that make a lot of people say "i hate law students". a lot of people who feel that they are too smart for law school and pretty much the world. dude if college is so easy just switch to pre-med and cure cancer or something.

sorry I'm mostly just razzing you but there are a ton of people in law school who feel like they settled and that their intellect is being wasted and they all seem pretty miserable.

I don't think I'm too smart for anything. I'm sorry if my post really came off as this douchey.
I just feel lost. It seems as if everyone I'm around has some sort of passion and I can't find mine. I can assure you I don't think so highly of myself that I would ever believe I was "wasting my intellect." Being proud of intelligence is nonsensical, just as being proud of anything you were born with would be.

I really was just hoping people could provide suggestions as to ways to get a feel for what practicing law really is, so I could gauge whether or not I could be satisfied as an attorney. I'm not looking for deep intellectual fulfillment or any bull shit like that, I just want to not be miserable for the rest of my life. Right now I'm really unhappy. Everyone says college is the best time of your life and it scares the hell out of me because I hate college.

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:35 am

I've amended my OP in response to your concerns.

Royalduck

Postby Royalduck » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:35 am

Wow. I don't think your post was pretentious- you were honestly describing your concerns and position. I recognize some of what you feel and it has taken me a few jobs after college to finally end up ok with the financial burden of law school, but I still don't know if I want to be a full time attorney. I'm holding on to the fact that there are plenty of things you can do with a JD without working 80hr weeks at BigLaw.

Sorry for the rude ppl on this post. Keep figuring out what you like and just do your best and don't slack off! As for the LSAT, I'd get it over with if i already studied for it! Wouldnt want to go through 2 prep rounds. I don't think law schools care about a 3 year old score Esp if you're coming right out of school- there's a reason for the 5 year restriction. And btw, I'm not straight out of UG but at least 50% of ppl I met at ASWs were. I personally needed the extra years to get interested in law by seeing how it was applied in my work experience.

Good luck! No need to chart your life out 7 years in advance... Though if that works for you, I'm jealous!

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:29 am

If your majors bore you, switch it up, you have tons of time. Also, I'd recommend you study abroad, maybe in a couple different places to get some perspective.

You may figure out what you're passionate about, and you may not. It didn't happen for me until after I graduated college and spent the first year on my own. Then I realized my passion would never make enough for me to live on, so I came to law school. And that's okay, you don't have to love your career.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:48 am

I highly recommend trying science like biology or chemistry. You sound pretty unhappy with your life, so maybe you need to figure out why? Maybe you need to find a girlfriend or boyfriend or someone to share your life with right now?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:02 am

Is there anything you DO like? (Serious question.)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 am

I highly recommend taking a year out.
Now.

Ask your UG if you can take a sabbatical and go do something.
Go to india or africa.
Hike the appalachian trail or join a hippy commune
buy a eurorail pass and backpack through europe.
or just work the kind of job you never thought you'd have (become a warehouse operative, do low-level factory work, get a temp job at UPS, etc. just get out of your comfort zone)

Something to give you a little life experience and a new perspective
Seriously, take a year off. It'll help you grow as a person

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 am

Taking it a year off may help, it seems like good advice. I'll need to see if my University defers scholarship eligibility, does anyone have experience with that? I am partly worried that every day I take away from school will make it that much harder to come back. Not really that I won't come back, I will... I'll just hate college that much more when I do.

It's funny that you mentioned backpacking through Europe, as that is something I'm doing this summer. I'm extremely excited, traveling is one of my favorite things to do. I do have a girlfriend, we've been together for a long time, and she's a very supportive girl who is planning on following me wherever I plan to go for Grad school.

As far as coursework I enjoy... I've tried a number of different things but I'm going to branch out more this next semester with sociology, anthropology, and political science. I really dislike the hard sciences.There are things I'm interested in, they just don't translate well to coursework (metaphysics, existential quandaries, "space") . I've thrown around the idea of attempting to write fiction before, but I'm not a very talented writer. Analytic reading is my strong suit, and always has been, so a career that involved its use would be ideal.

I like cinephile's point on not having to love your career, I agree with that. I think its unrealistic that everyone is even capable of loving a career, I just want one that is tolerable.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:49 am

CincinnatusND wrote:Taking it a year off may help, it seems like good advice. I'll need to see if my University defers scholarship eligibility, does anyone have experience with that? I am partly worried that every day I take away from school will make it that much harder to come back. Not really that I won't come back, I will... I'll just hate college that much more when I do.

It's funny that you mentioned backpacking through Europe, as that is something I'm doing this summer. I'm extremely excited, traveling is one of my favorite things to do. I do have a girlfriend, we've been together for a long time, and she's a very supportive girl who is planning on following me wherever I plan to go for Grad school.

In retrospect, I wish I had taken a year off. I hated school and barely made it out of UG.
But, a few years later, when I actually knew what I wanted to do, I came back with a vengeance, busting out Grad school with top grades while working 60-70 hour weeks.
If you're just going through the motions, time out can invigorate you like you wouldn't believe.

What are your plans for backpacking? Which places do you plan to hit up?

CincinnatusND

Postby CincinnatusND » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:02 am

dingbat wrote:In retrospect, I wish I had taken a year off. I hated school and barely made it out of UG.
But, a few years later, when I actually knew what I wanted to do, I came back with a vengeance, busting out Grad school with top grades while working 60-70 hour weeks.
If you're just going through the motions, time out can invigorate you like you wouldn't believe.

What are your plans for backpacking? Which places do you plan to hit up?

I'm going with my two best male friends and we are spending about three and a half weeks in Europe. We are planning on seeing Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Pamplona), Germany (Munich, Berlin?), Belgium (Bruges), Holland (Amsterdam), Czech Rep. (Prague), France (Paris, Cannes), and possibly somewhere in northern Italy. We are trying to not have a rigid plan so if we find we don't like a certain city we aren't stuck there for any more than a day.

I find it kind of comforting that someone else hated college, so thanks for that.

John Denver

Postby John Denver » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:10 am

CincinnatusND wrote:

I came here asking for advice, not blissfully avoiding it, there is no reason to be so rude. Especially since your "reasons" are all things that I brought up as issues (barring number 3).

I think shoeshines meanness has a lot more to do with his Aspergers than anything about your OP. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 am

To be honest it sounds like you just need to maintain an open mind right now. Law school is definitely still an option, but you do not need to commit to it right now. You say you're in your first year and have a 4.0. This is awesome. I think you should take heart in the fact that you are going to have some great options. I had similar feelings toward undergrad as well. I just kept working hard(which is something we all have to do), and kept my eyes open. I wasn't lucky enough to have a girlfriend follow me wherever I would go, so that's a bonus for you.

That being said, take the LSAT when you are most prepared, make preliminary preparations for your application. Keep an eye out for any exciting opportunities that you could write about in your personal statement. In my opinion law is a great career path. I want to go the biglaw route, and yes it is really hard work. It's a lifestyle choice, but it does not mean it's not $ati$factory work or rewarding. Work is not 'fun' for a lot of people, but you have an opportunity to enter the top tier of the legal profession, something that a lot of people dream about, but only a small percentage attain. So don't get down on yourself, you're in a great position, just be patient.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 am

You should probably major in something useful if you're not set on going to law school.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:32 am

CincinnatusND wrote:I'm going with my two best male friends and we are spending about three and a half weeks in Europe. We are planning on seeing Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Pamplona), Germany (Munich, Berlin?), Belgium (Bruges), Holland (Amsterdam), Czech Rep. (Prague), France (Paris, Cannes), and possibly somewhere in northern Italy. We are trying to not have a rigid plan so if we find we don't like a certain city we aren't stuck there for any more than a day.

I find it kind of comforting that someone else hated college, so thanks for that.

That's a good plan, but a little much. Also, geographically speaking Prague is the odd man out (Berlin is also a major detour)

Based on your list, you'll want to start in Madrid, then up to Pamplona. Bilbao and San Sebastian are near there and are also nice.
From there go up to Paris followed by Belgium (Bruges, and if you have time Antwerp. Don't bother with Brussels), then on to Amsterdam. After that, go to Dortmund or Frankfurt (Berlin is geographically tough) on your way to Munich, circling through (Venice and) Milan to Cannes and Monaco before ending in Barcelona.

Save east Europe (Berlin, Warsaw, Prague, Vienna, Budapest & more) for another trip

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”