Study groups?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Study groups?

Postby SunshineMagic » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:19 am

Every accepted student day thing I go to they are forever bitching about how you must study in groups is this really true? I am not a group studier I get nothing done but talking a lot... I need a tiny room or cubical with no sound to study... I was told over and over again in Orgo/BioChem/Anatomy/Neuro that you have to study in groups to understand the concepts and processes but I never did and I am pretty sure that I did a lot better than people around me who studied in groups...

Re: Study groups?

Postby utlaw2007 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:19 am

You don't need study groups. I'm like you. I talk to much about things other than law. I get nothing done in study groups. I studied much better by myself. I graduated law school 5 years ago. But if you do study by yourself, you need to do all the required readings and attend class. It also doesn't hurt to talk about these legal issues with classmates you are friends with right after class. My friends and I were so enamored with the study of law that first semester, we always talked law outside of class.

Postby notedgarfigaro » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:58 am

as always, depends on you. Some people NEED study groups, others can't function in them. I personally don't use them except for a group of us get together a day or two before an exam to bounce ideas off of each other to make sure we've covered everything.

Postby abus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:59 pm

I agree. Study groups are useless in my opinion. Although, I do like running through my outline with someone else in the class to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm a one-man wolf pack

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:11 pm

I experimented with both methods (group and solo) first semester 1L. There was no marked difference in the classes I used study groups for and classes I went at it alone. This semester I only kept the study group for contracts because the way my prof teaches it I feel like I'm in Inception. The only good thing about study groups is that it forces you to not fall behind because the rest of the group is counting on you to do your part. But I'd rather do my own work--I only trust my own work.

A lot of people like the crutch of other people in study groups. But if I have a question I'd rather just go see the professor. Five people bouncing around the wrong idea is just wasted time.

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I am pretty much a lone studier but I find groups helpful at the very end of the process, beginning a week or two before exams to compare outlines and make sure I didn't miss anything big and as a means of putting legal concepts into words. If I can explain an idea orally to classmates, I'm pretty sure I can explain it to the prof on the exam.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:20 pm

I thought study groups were mostly useless. It's helpful to take practice tests with a group of people when there isn't sample answers posted, and it's helpful to study in the same room as others in case you have a quick question about the material. But overall, I don't really get the point of the classic study group.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”