JD/PhD in Philosophy

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PARTY

JD/PhD in Philosophy

Postby PARTY » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 pm

does anyone have any experience in this?

i'm trying to decide how serious i am about pursuing this (or a JD/MA in Phil., dependent on where i go), and so i wanted to get a feel for the arduousness, feasibility, practicality, etc.

i've done quite well getting a BA in phil., and i also have a BS.

i've toyed with the idea of becoming a professor for some time, and i for sure plan on getting published (a dream of mine).

thoughts? TYIA.

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: JD/PhD in Philosophy

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Try to become a furman scholar: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

NYU has the best philosophy department in the country. Even if you only get your JD there, you'll have access to stuff like a colloquium with Dworkin and Nagel (I still think they're doing that). And I don't think too many other schools can give you as good of a dual degree there when it comes to JD/PhD in Philosophy.

But keep in mind--if academia is your goal NYU (as a furman) is really as low as you should be going in the rankings.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Try to become a furman scholar: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

NYU has the best philosophy department in the country. Even if you only get your JD there, you'll have access to stuff like a colloquium with Dworkin and Nagel (I still think they're doing that). And I don't think too many other schools can give you as good of a dual degree there when it comes to JD/PhD in Philosophy.

But keep in mind--if academia is your goal NYU (as a furman) is really as low as you should be going in the rankings.

Any idea on how difficult it is to be accepted into this program besides just NYU in general? What about how well the program places in academia?

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:46 pm

good looks. i will be acting on that soon. and bump to Br3v's question.

but, is there anyone who's currently doing this type of study or a similar program and can share some insight?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Br3v wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Try to become a furman scholar: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadm ... /index.htm

Any idea on how difficult it is to be accepted into this program besides just NYU in general? What about how well the program places in academia?

Look at the profiles of current scholars to get an idea of competitiveness. I think most had some background in academia already (being published, an MA or PhD, etc), but I think some didn't have any of that stuff. I would think it's significantly more difficult than just being accepted to NYU in general (I mean it's a full scholarship, so of course it's going to be harder.)

The program is pretty new, but I think the program will be pretty competitive for placing people in academia just b/c it allows students to build strong ties to faculty and work on their writing with faculty guidance.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”