0L Finals/studying - Wedding conflict

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawsearcher

0L Finals/studying - Wedding conflict

Postby lawsearcher » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:01 pm

I am a 0L starting next fall. I am supposed to stand up in a friend's wedding in a far away state the Saturday before finals in December (meaning I could have a final that Monday). Is this going to be possible?

I guess I'm asking is it possible to push my studying up earlier knowing I won't be available that Saturday and part of Sunday when I fly back. Is there simply too much material or am I not accounting for other reasons why you can't study harder ahead of time?

I feel terrible telling my friend I can't stand up at his wedding because I have a final a few days later. I doubt they'll understand the true gravity of first semester/year grades.

Any help from current students would be appreciated. Thanks.

dingbat

Re: 0L Finals/studying - Wedding conflict

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

I don't need to be a current student to tell you that if you can manage your time properly this shouldn't be an issue.

fakehunter

Postby fakehunter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Of course, if you're flying to/from a place with snow, you could get stuck depending on weather. Maybe say that as an excuse if you feel you need to skip the wedding?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:30 pm

I would bow out. That's pretty much the most important part of the semester right there.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Here's the problem, you're going to be stressing about the fact that you aren't studying. This is what law school is, basically. You watch everyone around you spend hours in the library, and when you take time off work you feel guilty.

Maybe this sounds cold, but I wouldn't do it. You won't enjoy yourself, because you'll likely be stressing the whole time.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 pm

kalvano wrote:I would bow out. That's pretty much the most important part of the semester right there.

This.

Finals can be won or lost in the final 2-3 weeks.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:20 am

kalvano wrote:I would bow out. That's pretty much the most important part of the semester right there.

+1. Also, send a nice gift.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:16 pm

kalvano wrote:I would bow out. That's pretty much the most important part of the semester OCI-grind right there.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 pm

lawsearcher wrote:I am a 0L starting next fall. I am supposed to stand up in a friend's wedding in a far away state the Saturday before finals in December (meaning I could have a final that Monday). Is this going to be possible?

I guess I'm asking is it possible to push my studying up earlier knowing I won't be available that Saturday and part of Sunday when I fly back. Is there simply too much material or am I not accounting for other reasons why you can't study harder ahead of time?

I feel terrible telling my friend I can't stand up at his wedding because I have a final a few days later. I doubt they'll understand the true gravity of first semester/year grades.

Any help from current students would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless this guy is literally your best mate, I'd skip it.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:24 pm

You can do it, and you can also study on the plane. But it would also likely REALLY stress you out and you wouldn't enjoy the wedding.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”