Spending a day or two in court Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gregfootball2001

Silver

Spending a day or two in court

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:04 pm

0L here. I thought that since I won't be working too hard for the next few months, it would be interesting to go and spend a day or two watching in a local court. Any recommendations for what court to go to? Would I need to call and ask about scheduling, if I go to a higher state court? Thanks for all the help. :P

splbagel

Bronze

Re: Spending a day or two in court

Post by splbagel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 pm

If you have an immigration court near you, that can be interesting. Just make sure you go for individual hearings; master calendar is pretty boring. More info: http://www.justice.gov/eoir/press/2010/ ... 092010.htm

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

You could walk in and find your way to a case pretty easily

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:53 pm

It can be really interesting, or really boring depending on the court and the day. You probably don't want to go to federal court, not much interesting goes on there. I recommend you go to your state court at or about 9:30 and see if there's an information desk, or even just someone at the metal detector you can talk to for a second, and tell them what you are there for. Usually they will be able to tell you if there is an interesting trial going on, or at least point you to the rooms where you are likely to see some action.

And, don't think all the action is in the courtrooms; if you can find a court where there are lots of civil actions, you'll likely get to see a lot of what lawyers really do--find each other in the hallway and negotiate motions, continuances, settlements, etc.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 am

Renzo wrote:It can be really interesting, or really boring depending on the court and the day. You probably don't want to go to federal court, not much interesting goes on there. I recommend you go to your state court at or about 9:30 and see if there's an information desk, or even just someone at the metal detector you can talk to for a second, and tell them what you are there for. Usually they will be able to tell you if there is an interesting trial going on, or at least point you to the rooms where you are likely to see some action.

And, don't think all the action is in the courtrooms; if you can find a court where there are lots of civil actions, you'll likely get to see a lot of what lawyers really do--find each other in the hallway and negotiate motions, continuances, settlements, etc.
I interned at the DA's office as a 0L and I agree with this. The guards always know what's going on and will prob have a schedule of cases. Criminal cases are really good or bad depending on the judge. They basically set the tone of the hearing or trial. One thing to remember is that court never starts on time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 am

Renzo wrote:It can be really interesting, or really boring depending on the court and the day. You probably don't want to go to federal court, not much interesting goes on there. I recommend you go to your state court at or about 9:30 and see if there's an information desk, or even just someone at the metal detector you can talk to for a second, and tell them what you are there for. Usually they will be able to tell you if there is an interesting trial going on, or at least point you to the rooms where you are likely to see some action.

TITCR - Though Federal Court can be interesting (it really depends which one you go to and your personal interests). EDNY with a good criminal trial can be interesting...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:06 am

reasonable_man wrote:

TITCR - Though Federal Court can be interesting (it really depends which one you go to and your personal interests). EDNY with a good criminal trial can be interesting...
I guess I could have been clearer; some of the most interesting things ever happen in Federal court, but it's hard to just pick a random day, walk in, and see something interesting. Odds are better that you'll see 12 preliminary conferences, 4 plea allocutions, and a social security case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”