Going solo and working for firm/govt

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
6lehderjets

Going solo and working for firm/govt

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Is it possible to work for a small/mid-sized firm (assuming that one is not working a ridiculous number of hours) or the government, and also be a sole practioner on the side?

Would the firm that employees you prohibit it because of conflict of interest?

ETA: I understand that sole practitioners face a uphill battle when starting out. Very valid point, but I'm still curious about the situation mentioned above.

Br3v

Re: Going solo and working for firm/govt

Postby Br3v » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:13 pm

6lehderjets wrote:Is it possible to work for a small/mid-sized firm (assuming that one is not working a ridiculous number of hours) or the government, and also be a sole practioner on the side?

Would the firm that employees you prohibit it because of conflict of interest?

ETA: I understand that sole practitioners face a uphill battle when starting out. Very valid point, but I'm still curious about the situation mentioned above.

I do not think you would have the time.

Only way you may is if in small (not just you) firm, in which case I couldn't see how you could determine which were firm clients, which are yours, and which are yours you stole from the firms business.

sidhesadie

Re: Going solo and working for firm/govt

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm

I am pretty sure as far as working for the government, the only way this would fly is if you're actually a government contractor, not a government employee. Example, in some states, there are more indigent defense cases than the actual Public Defender's offices can handle, so the state contracts with private attorneys to provide indigent defense services. X number of X type of case, for a set $ amount per case.
Those attorneys can also take private retained cases outside the contract, usually.

I don't know of other situations where you could, but there could be.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”