Boston College 2L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EagleMe

Boston College 2L taking questions

Postby EagleMe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 am

There does not appear to be a current BCLS thread, so I figured I'd go ahead and start a new one for those interested in BC, Boston, law school in general, or whatever else. I (or others of my ilk) will try to answer any questions in the least confusing manner possible.

TLS_noobie

Re: Boston College 2L taking questions

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks a lot for taking questions!

1) how does employment look for 2L SAs at big firms?
2) what kind of percentages are you seeing for people nabbing market-paying jobs? I think NLJ had it a little over 20% for last year, getting better?
3) does BC have on-campus graduate/law student housing?

EagleMe

Postby EagleMe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 am

TLS_noobie wrote:Thanks a lot for taking questions!

2) what kind of percentages are you seeing for people nabbing market-paying jobs? I think NLJ had it a little over 20% for last year, getting better?

1) Based on everything I've heard from other 2Ls (both at BC and other area schools), SA positions at big firms are starting to pick up again from the crater they fell into a few years ago. I can't speak to the % of 2Ls this year who have Biglaw spots for the upcoming summer (I don't believe the numbers have been compiled/released, and people at BC, in general, don't openly discuss it), but, as you said, over 20% of the Class of 2011 went to work at NLJ 250 firms (BC ranked 18 in the nation in placing students in the NLJ 250). I imagine that rate will hold roughly steady, if not increase a little (as firms hire larger summer classes). Off the top of my head, I can think of people who will be working at Foley and Lardner, Ropes, White and Case, Weil, McDermott, Foley Hoag, Wilmer, Goodwin, Bingham... (there's a lot more, but I imagine you get the picture). It's still a tough environment, but it appears most large firms are hiring larger summer classes.

2) Guess I covered this....

3) BC does not have any graduate housing on the Newton campus (where the law school is located). There is some graduate housing available near the Brighton campus, however. http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/re ... using.html

I can't really comment on the graduate housing, because I have never lived in it (and don't recall anyone off the top of my head who has, either).

Most people live off campus, either in Newton (which is nice, but a bit isolated) or closer in to Boston. Cleveland Circle, Allston and Brighton are all very popular areas. Many people live in Brookline, too.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:27 am

1) What has been your biggest gripe/pet peeve about your BC experience so far?
2) Why did you choose BC and how did your decision process play out?
3) In your experience, do the BC Law student body stereotypes (more collegial/social) seem true?
4) How bad is the Boston winter?

Thanks!

EagleMe

Postby EagleMe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:58 am

emptyflare wrote:1) What has been your biggest gripe/pet peeve about your BC experience so far?
2) Why did you choose BC and how did your decision process play out?
3) In your experience, do the BC Law student body stereotypes (more collegial/social) seem true?
4) How bad is the Boston winter?

Thanks!

1) Biggest pet peeve - the dining hall on the Newton campus. The food is overpriced (we're talking something in the area of $6 for a sandwich consisting of turkey, cheese and lettuce on wheat bread), and not particularly good. That said, there are plenty of places you can go off campus to get good food (a quick drive with a car, and Newton Center is about a 10-15 minute walk), and you can always bring food. (But I'm lazy, and so I don't bring....)

2) I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where I was going to wind up going, looking at schools all around the country. Ultimately, I settled on BC for a variety of reasons. First, I'm from New England, so it gave me the opportunity to move closer to my family. Along the same lines, I love the city of Boston, and will readily admit that proximity to Fenway was a (large) factor. BC has a very strong reputation in Boston (along with BU and some other school across the Charles), and the firms in the city draw heavily from those three schools. My interests also lean in the direction of international law, and the London Program was another huge draw for me.

I think what finally tipped the scales was the whole "Disneyland of Law Schools" thing. It absolutely sounds hokey, but it's also a pretty accurate moniker. The students at BC are very friendly and a lot of fun to be around. I wouldn't say people at BC aren't competitive (we're all in law school, after all), but it's a friendly sort of competition, and the students genuinely like one another. As an example, on occasions when I have missed classes, I almost always find an email waiting for me with the notes from the class, before I even attempted to ask for them. (This is something I try to do for others, as well, when I notice they're out.)

Oh, and the fall softball league is a must. Just a great time.

3) I covered this above, but yes, the BC stereotype largely holds true. Like every school, BC will have a few people that are genuinely miserable individuals, but that is an extreme rarity. From what I've seen, BC really is an exception from that standpoint.

4) Ahhh winter.... How bad is it? Well, it's winter in Boston. I suppose it's all what you're used to, and what you like. I don't find the winter to be bad at all, but I love the cold and the snow, and love skiing. Other people hate it, because it does snow in Boston (which makes for interesting commutes), and it can be quite cold. Typically, it starts to get legitimately cold sometime between late November and mid-December, and the first real snow comes late in December (though this year we had something like 3" before Halloween, which was fun). The snow will usually stick until mid- to late March. I think the average temp in the winter hovers around 30 degrees or so in Jan. and Feb., but I'm not fully sure.

On the upside, because Boston is a cold weather city, it is fairly adept at clearing snow and keeping the public transit running. (Though it's also a large city, so "fairly adept" is relative to smaller cities.)

pcbrock

Postby pcbrock » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:19 am

1. For OCI, is it a resume drop or a lottery system?
2. Does BC section stack like some other schools do with students receiving scholarships?
3. Typically, how big have your classes been?
4. Do they curve upper level (2L/3L) classes? Do you find professors tend to work the curve by putting everyone in the middle with B/B+s and the rare C/A or do they typically work at the edges with more As and Cs than bulking up in the middle?

Thanks!

airbear1012

Postby airbear1012 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 am

1) What opportunities does BC have for public interest?
2) Do you know how easy it would be to leave Boston after graduating or a few years after?
3) How difficult is it to get into clinics?
4) Would it be a bad idea to commit to BC without ever having the opportunity to visit?
5) Is a car necessary?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Not to steal OP's thread, but I can take a crack at some of these.

pcbrock wrote:1. For OCI, is it a resume drop or a lottery system?
On campus OCI is a mix, something like 25% lottery, 75% preselect. Off campus OCI programs (NYC and DC, for example) are 100% preselect. Beyond OCI, resume drop is done through Sympliity, and works by allowing anyone to submit a resume and the employer deciding whom to proceed with from there.
2. Does BC section stack like some other schools do with students receiving scholarships?
I don't think any of BC's scholarships are tied to GPAs, so there's no way to stack them in the way you seem to be thinking of.
3. Typically, how big have your classes been?
1L sections are in the low 80s, further broken down into sections in the 40s for legal writing. Upper level classes vary widely, from large lectures to small seminars
4. Do they curve upper level (2L/3L) classes? Do you find professors tend to work the curve by putting everyone in the middle with B/B+s and the rare C/A or do they typically work at the edges with more As and Cs than bulking up in the middle?
Upper level classes are curved, but the curve tends to be more favorable than 1L sections because smaller classes can fall on a more friendly curve. As to how exactly the curve is structured, I'm not exactly sure.

airbear1012 wrote:1) What opportunities does BC have for public interest?
BC has a strong PI focus and organizes events for PI networking and such. That said, PI hiring is rough all over these days, for obvious reasons.
2) Do you know how easy it would be to leave Boston after graduating or a few years after?
At graduation, a good number go to NYC law firms. As for after practicing in Boston for a few years then leaving, I have no idea on this one.
3) How difficult is it to get into clinics?
I think they gaurentee everyone who wants to do a clinic can do one. Some of them might be more competitive, but so far I've yet to hear someone not get the one they wanted. I'm sure it happens though.
4) Would it be a bad idea to commit to BC without ever having the opportunity to visit?
BC is a nice campus that's a right outside, though not quite in, the city. You probably don't need to visit to get a sense of what that means, but if a visit is possible, it couldn't hurt.
5) Is a car necessary?
Not necessary but very convenient if you can swing it.

cbcoop

Postby cbcoop » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 am

Hi guys,

I've been looking at housing and have come across some some good deals for shared apartments for around $550/mo with utilities. Problem is, they're available right now. Do you think that there will be many available for a August 1st move in, and if so, when would be a good time to fly in to look at apartments and meet with people? I've got a car, so I've been looking at available apartments in Waltham, Watertown, Belmont, as well as Newton and Brighton/Allston. Are the first three feasible drives? Do you have any other suggestions of nearby places that may offer cheaper apartments?

Really appreciate your help!

EagleMe

Postby EagleMe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:26 am

cbcoop wrote:Hi guys,

I've been looking at housing and have come across some some good deals for shared apartments for around $550/mo with utilities. Problem is, they're available right now. Do you think that there will be many available for a August 1st move in, and if so, when would be a good time to fly in to look at apartments and meet with people? I've got a car, so I've been looking at available apartments in Waltham, Watertown, Belmont, as well as Newton and Brighton/Allston. Are the first three feasible drives? Do you have any other suggestions of nearby places that may offer cheaper apartments?

Really appreciate your help!

The Boston housing market is pretty insane, especially come late August when all the undergrads come back in and housing essentially disappears. Thinking back to my housing search - I came in to look at housing mid-July and still had quite a few options available (though I live in my own apartment, and cannot speak with much authority on how quickly people find roommates). I had to sign a lease for August 1 to get the apartment that I eventually moved into, even though I didn't arrive in Boston until around August 20, but that's pretty standard. (Very few places in Boston seem to let you start a lease mid-month, so you'll like either have to start your lease Aug. 1, or on Sept. 1 and couch surf during the first week of classes.) I think if you fly in sometime in July to search, you'll be fine. The Open Houses are also a good opportunity to come in, see the school, meet your fellow 0Ls, and potentially find roommates (if you want law school roommates). I wouldn't suggest coming later than July, though. Housing gets scarce.

I've never made the drive in to campus from Belmont or Waltham (I make the reverse commute from Brookline), but I haven't heard anyone say those commutes are overly difficult. Watertown is certainly close enough to make for a simple commute. And all three are definitely feasible drives. You probably won't find anything else much more affordable than the areas you've listed.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:04 am

Favorite/ least favorite thing about living in Boston.

I think the history aspect of the city is awesome.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 pm

1L chiming in. With regard to the question about grading and the curve, check out the Academic Policies Handbook (LinkRemoved). Relevant info starts on page nine and describes the percentages per grade given and how the mean can fluctuate based on class size.

Scholarships have no class rank requirements and are only contingent on you staying in good standing with the Law School (meaning you breathe, show up to class, and take an exam).

Our incoming class hovered at around 270 students, so we're looking at about 90 students in each section and about 45 in each LRRW course. I have heard the admissions office might be reducing class sizes to around 250 or so in the future, but I'm not sure when that would go into effect.

EagleMe

Postby EagleMe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:00 am

Br3v wrote:Favorite/ least favorite thing about living in Boston.

I think the history aspect of the city is awesome.

The history aspect of Boston is certainly one of the best parts about living in the city. It really seems to set Boston apart from other similar-sized cities (as well as larger East Coast cities, such as New York). Boston is also great in that it is relatively easy to escape the city and get out into the country when you need a day away from everything. This is especially wonderful in the fall, during peak foliage.... And, as Boston is a large city (though not on the level of New York, of course), there is no shortage of things to do. Sporting events (Marathon Monday is a favorite of everyone), theater, concerts, farmers markets, festivals... there's always something to check out.

Least favorite thing... well, I love the winter, but it can absolutely be a drag in Boston. Once the snow sticks, the roads become a bit of a pain (especially during years with heavy snowfall) because there's not place to put it all. Granted, lots of snow also means better skiing, so there's that. Boston can also be, as I generally put it, "provincial". (Though, in fairness, much of northern New England can be that way.) Bostonians are generally quite friendly, but they can also be rather brusk at times (especially in the winter, people get grumpy by February...). I wouldn't characterize it as rude so much as just generally focused on what they're doing/where they're going. That said, it's no worse than places like New York or Philly (and likely better).

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:12 am

Hey, thanks for taking questions. I am currently leaning towards attending BC and I have some random questions.

1. Do you know anyone that did IP law and how they did with job placement?
2. I'm about to finish a 2-year engineering master's program in philly, so my social life was basically not existent for a while. How is the nightlife in the BC Law area?
3. What would be the best way to find a roommate and what area do you think is best for a "younger" (23) student?
3. I really like to play recreational ice hockey, do you know of any rinks near the law school?
4. If someone does not have a car, do the buses run late on weekends?

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 pm

a) How does BCLS compare to BU employment-wise?
b) What is the most fun, but most study-productive living arrangement feasible for BC 1Ls?

Thanks for the info!

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue May 22, 2012 12:42 pm

TLS_noobie wrote:Thanks a lot for taking questions!

I thought the NLJ 250 last year was around 35%?

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue May 22, 2012 5:27 pm

BC Law's Latest Employment Statistics

Roughly 38% of Class of 2010 worked for firms with 100+ attorneys. Compare to prior two years where almost that many graduates worked for firms with 500+ attorneys.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri May 25, 2012 1:15 pm

zonto wrote:BC Law's Latest Employment Statistics

Roughly 38% of Class of 2010 worked for firms with 100+ attorneys. Compare to prior two years where almost that many graduates worked for firms with 500+ attorneys.

Not ideal, but not too shabby. It also suggests a nice upside: 2010 was the worst hiring market in a generation, according to some sources.

mgar88

Postby mgar88 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 pm

Did you find that the cost of attendance was accurate?

Splitteroni

Postby Splitteroni » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:40 am

Hey my scholarship has a stipulation of maintaining above a 2.0 gpa...looking at the handbook provided above a small percentage of the class falls below 2.0...do you think that is a reasonable stip from your experience?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:47 am

manofjustice wrote:
zonto wrote:BC Law's Latest Employment Statistics

Not ideal, but not too shabby. It also suggests a nice upside: 2010 was the worst hiring market in a generation, according to some sources.

I have a feeling the c/o 2011 faced much worse employment prospects. If BU is any indication, 2011 was the worst hiring market, not 2010.. but hopefully it has gone up since then. BU had <20% of their class in NJL250 firms.

Fizwick

Postby Fizwick » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Splitteroni wrote:Hey my scholarship has a stipulation of maintaining above a 2.0 gpa...looking at the handbook provided above a small percentage of the class falls below 2.0...do you think that is a reasonable stip from your experience?

Rising 2L. It's my understanding that the school fixes the curve at the top end but not the bottom end. This means there is a limited number of As, A-s, and B+s, BUT, professors have discretion when it comes to giving you a B- or a C or a D. I've heard some professors discussed in the context of "yeah, and they actually give out Cs!", which seems to imply that many do not.

Upshot for you is that I honestly think you'd have to consistently put forth zero effort to get below a 2.0. If you made the effort to come to TLS and ask you probably have nothing to worry about.

bclegaleagle89

Postby bclegaleagle89 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Just thought I'd volunteer as another rising 2L willing to answer any questions anybody has.

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey thanks for answering questions.

I have a random question, are there any ice rinks near the cleveland circle area? I tried looking online, but seems there is only one close by and that is more of a skating school.

bclegaleagle89

Postby bclegaleagle89 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:10 pm

leafs1315 wrote:Hey thanks for answering questions.

I have a random question, are there any ice rinks near the cleveland circle area? I tried looking online, but seems there is only one close by and that is more of a skating school.

I'm not sure which rink you found online, but I know of the reilly memorial rink, which is right on chestnut hill ave (close to where the Newton shuttle picks law students up). Otherwise, I know there is an outdoor rink in Cambridge (Kendall Square) during the winter, but that's a little bit of a trek. I think there might be one in Watertown and one in Brookline, but I don't know anything about these. Hope that helps a little, but maybe someone else can give better info since I've only been ice skating a few times.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”