Is this a good connection?/how to use it

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rinkrat19

Is this a good connection?/how to use it

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 am

A guy I play hockey with here in the Portland area is a paralegal at firm B. He used to work at firm A, which from everything I have been able to glean as an ignorant 0L, sounds like a dream firm for me. It's one of the more prestigious firms in the small Portland market. This guy says he can put me in touch with a senior(?) partner at firm A, who "is like a second father to him" and originally helped him get the first paralegal job at firm A.
I am heading to NU in the fall, hoping to get a job back here. (My Portland ties are impeccable--lived here since I was 4, went to UG in-state, and my only immediate family is here.)

1. Is this a legit networking connection that I could make use of?
2. If so, how?
3. And when? (timing with regards to school year/OCI/mass-mailing/etc.)

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole networking thing, although I'm willing to do what's needed. I don't want to make any absurd faux pas and offend anyone or make myself look stupid.

dailygrind

Re: Is this a good connection?/how to use it

Postby dailygrind » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:26 pm

This is how I would approach it and by no means a definitive guide, but:

1) Yes.
2) Ask the guy if he can put you in touch with the partner. If he says yes, follow whatever lead he gives you. If you end up emailing the partner to set up a time to talk or visit, include something like "XYZ's Friend" in the subject line. Talk with the partner and try to get his perspective on whatever - stuff that would be useful in the Portland legal market, things that he thinks young associates should know, things that he thinks young law students should know, whatever. Maybe have a bit of a conversation. Keep in touch every once in a while and when time comes to look for a job, politely ask whether or not he knows anyone who's hiring.
3) Start immediately. If you keep building the connection, when the time comes to ask for help he'll be happy to. If you pop out of nowhere and ask him for an interview, he'll probably be less willing to help.

rinkrat19

Re: Is this a good connection?/how to use it

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm

dailygrind wrote:This is how I would approach it and by no means a definitive guide, but:

1) Yes.
2) Ask the guy if he can put you in touch with the partner. If he says yes, follow whatever lead he gives you. If you end up emailing the partner to set up a time to talk or visit, include something like "XYZ's Friend" in the subject line. Talk with the partner and try to get his perspective on whatever - stuff that would be useful in the Portland legal market, things that he thinks young associates should know, things that he thinks young law students should know, whatever. Maybe have a bit of a conversation. Keep in touch every once in a while and when time comes to look for a job, politely ask whether or not he knows anyone who's hiring.
3) Start immediately. If you keep building the connection, when the time comes to ask for help he'll be happy to. If you pop out of nowhere and ask him for an interview, he'll probably be less willing to help.
Thanks. This matches pretty much exactly with someone else's advice, so I'm convinced. I'll talk to my teammate about getting in touch with the partner very soon.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”