UGA 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KamronK

Bronze

Re: UGA 1L Taking Questions

Post by KamronK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 am

I hope there's still someone here who can answer my question, because I'll have a big decision to make in May. I am from Arizona, and have lived here all my life. I love it here, but I want to experience something new. I've only heard positive things about UGA, Athens, and the Atlanta area from the people who have actually lived there, and I plan to visit in February to see for myself. I will be taking a year off from school to focus on my applications and gaining more life experience before law school. My question is, would it be likely to get in-state tuition in my first year if I'm accepted to UGA, assuming I move there June-July 2013 in preparation to attend the school in August 2014? Is 12-14 months usually enough for someone to be considered an in-state student in Georgia if I obtain a part-time job, license, voter registration, and things like that in that time? I've read up on it a bit, but I was hoping to find someone who went through the process.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 am

NasserK wrote:I hope there's still someone here who can answer my question, because I'll have a big decision to make in May. I am from Arizona, and have lived here all my life. I love it here, but I want to experience something new. I've only heard positive things about UGA, Athens, and the Atlanta area from the people who have actually lived there, and I plan to visit in February to see for myself. I will be taking a year off from school to focus on my applications and gaining more life experience before law school. My question is, would it be likely to get in-state tuition in my first year if I'm accepted to UGA, assuming I move there June-July 2013 in preparation to attend the school in August 2014? Is 12-14 months usually enough for someone to be considered an in-state student in Georgia if I obtain a part-time job, license, voter registration, and things like that in that time? I've read up on it a bit, but I was hoping to find someone who went through the process.
Yep. You'll get it.

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 am

Thank you. Now I need to find work. Are there many gyms in the Athens area that you've seen? I have a personal training certification until the end of 2014 that gives me some options for that year.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am

NasserK wrote:Thank you. Now I need to find work. Are there many gyms in the Athens area that you've seen? I have a personal training certification until the end of 2014 that gives me some options for that year.
There are a shit ton of gyms.

kwwill3

New

Post by kwwill3 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:36 am

Is law review strictly write on or a combination with grades? What is the competition like? i.e. how many competing for how many spots?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:12 pm

jms1987 wrote:How is the Atlanta market doing hiring wise? Is it friendly towards transplants, or are they super "local ties" centric?
Just going to bump this up in case anyone else can explain it further.

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Law review accepts applicants based on a combination of grades and a writeon. The writeon consists of a citechecking exercise and a mini-note.

kwwill3

New

Post by kwwill3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Does UGA offer scholarships to instate folks? The vast majority of what I have seen online was offering in state to oos people.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:15 am

kwwill3 wrote:Does UGA offer scholarships to instate folks? The vast majority of what I have seen online was offering in state to oos people.
I got a small scholarship as an in-state guy. Because it's so cheap already, however, I think they save most of the money for out of state people.

As to the employment question above - my 2L friends say that pretty much all of the top 10% got 2L SA's. That doesn't mean that those lower didn't, it just means that I don't know.

I'll let you know about 1L hiring when I get a job. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 am

I'm looking for someone who is going through the JD/MPA program, or is at least familiar with it.

Heyy_Y'all

New

Post by Heyy_Y'all » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Is there a UGA 1L or 2L, hell, any L on the board, available to answer questions? :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”