What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PutSumGravyOnIt

What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm about to enroll in Seattle University, which I've heard both good and bad things about. What I'm really concerned about is the post-grad job opportunities.

I assume much of the biglaw jobs will go to T14 grads who come to Seattle or to UW law grads, but I'm not necessarily going for that--I'd be happy with a non-temp job basically anywhere in the region!

Btw, first time posting on here after reading--and crying about--several 0L posts. I hope you all are happy to know you've scarred me for life.

bk1

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Well only about half of SU grads for the classes 2010/2011 got full time jobs as lawyers (http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Emp ... istics.xml). This doesn't even factor in the fact that at least some of those jobs are temporary rather than permanent. So you've basically set yourself up at a school where getting what you want "a non-temp job" (I'm assuming as a lawyer) has basically a 50% chance of not happening.

PutSumGravyOnIt

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 pm

bk1 wrote:Well only about half of SU grads for the classes 2010/2011 got full time jobs as lawyers (http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Emp ... istics.xml). This doesn't even factor in the fact that at least some of those jobs are temporary rather than permanent. So you've basically set yourself up at a school where getting what you want "a non-temp job" (I'm assuming as a lawyer) has basically a 50% chance of not happening.

Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:
bk1 wrote:Well only about half of SU grads for the classes 2010/2011 got full time jobs as lawyers (http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Emp ... istics.xml). This doesn't even factor in the fact that at least some of those jobs are temporary rather than permanent. So you've basically set yourself up at a school where getting what you want "a non-temp job" (I'm assuming as a lawyer) has basically a 50% chance of not happening.

Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?

Oh man...this about to get ugly

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?

As you said, all 0L's plan on doing being at least above median. That means that come grades, 1/2 of them will be disappointed. You have no way to know whether you will be in the 1/2 that is disappointed or whether you will be in the 1/2 that is above median. Your chances of being in the top 25% are, well, 25%. Since there's a 75% chance you're not going to be in the top 25% it doesn't make sense to ask as if that were going to happen.

PutSumGravyOnIt

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?

As you said, all 0L's plan on doing being at least above median. That means that come grades, 1/2 of them will be disappointed. You have no way to know whether you will be in the 1/2 that is disappointed or whether you will be in the 1/2 that is above median. Your chances of being in the top 25% are, well, 25%. Since there's a 75% chance you're not going to be in the top 25% it doesn't make sense to ask as if that were going to happen.

I get what you're saying; the stats are what they are. However, for the purpose of my question only, I'm already assuming that I will be getting in the top 25%. That's why I want to know what the job market is like for any top 25% graduate at a 50-100 ranked school in Seattle.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I get what you're saying; the stats are what they are. However, for the purpose of my question only, I'm already assuming that I will be getting in the top 25%. That's why I want to know what the job market is like for any top 25% graduate at a 50-100 ranked school in Seattle.

My BF graduated summa from Seattle U in 2006 (note: WELL BEFORE the legal profession started responding to the economy). It took him over a year to find a job.

Do not go to school there.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PutSumGravyOnIt

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 pm

It's not a general assumption, sir; I'm using that as context to my question. In the real world, of course I'm not assuming I'll be top 25%--I could end up anywhere obviously.

However, to ask about a job market question, I have to provide some detail about what KIND of job market I'm looking for. To ask what the job market is like when I'm in the last 10% of class is quite different, isn't it. And since I would probably drop out or something if that happened, and therefore wouldn't care what the market would be like, why would I use that as a premise to my question?

But really, thanks for the help.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:It's not a general assumption, sir; I'm using that as context to my question. In the real world, of course I'm not assuming I'll be top 25%--I could end up anywhere obviously.

However, to ask about a job market question, I have to provide some detail about what KIND of job market I'm looking for. To ask what the job market is like when I'm in the last 10% of class is quite different, isn't it. And since I would probably drop out or something if that happened, and therefore wouldn't care what the market would be like, why would I use that as a premise to my question?

But really, thanks for the help.

It helps if you specify that you'll drop out after a year. Then people understand that you're really just asking--is it even worth it if I'm in the 25%. Top 25% at Seattle U *might* get biglaw, but from what I understand you'll hustle to hope to work in any sort of job.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”