What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
PutSumGravyOnIt
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm about to enroll in Seattle University, which I've heard both good and bad things about. What I'm really concerned about is the post-grad job opportunities.

I assume much of the biglaw jobs will go to T14 grads who come to Seattle or to UW law grads, but I'm not necessarily going for that--I'd be happy with a non-temp job basically anywhere in the region!

Btw, first time posting on here after reading--and crying about--several 0L posts. I hope you all are happy to know you've scarred me for life.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Well only about half of SU grads for the classes 2010/2011 got full time jobs as lawyers (http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Emp ... istics.xml). This doesn't even factor in the fact that at least some of those jobs are temporary rather than permanent. So you've basically set yourself up at a school where getting what you want "a non-temp job" (I'm assuming as a lawyer) has basically a 50% chance of not happening.

User avatar
PutSumGravyOnIt
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 pm

bk1 wrote:Well only about half of SU grads for the classes 2010/2011 got full time jobs as lawyers (http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Emp ... istics.xml). This doesn't even factor in the fact that at least some of those jobs are temporary rather than permanent. So you've basically set yourself up at a school where getting what you want "a non-temp job" (I'm assuming as a lawyer) has basically a 50% chance of not happening.



Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?

User avatar
PurplePirate
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby PurplePirate » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:
bk1 wrote:Well only about half of SU grads for the classes 2010/2011 got full time jobs as lawyers (http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Careers/Emp ... istics.xml). This doesn't even factor in the fact that at least some of those jobs are temporary rather than permanent. So you've basically set yourself up at a school where getting what you want "a non-temp job" (I'm assuming as a lawyer) has basically a 50% chance of not happening.



Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?


Oh man...this about to get ugly

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?


As you said, all 0L's plan on doing being at least above median. That means that come grades, 1/2 of them will be disappointed. You have no way to know whether you will be in the 1/2 that is disappointed or whether you will be in the 1/2 that is above median. Your chances of being in the top 25% are, well, 25%. Since there's a 75% chance you're not going to be in the top 25% it doesn't make sense to ask as if that were going to happen.

User avatar
PutSumGravyOnIt
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?


As you said, all 0L's plan on doing being at least above median. That means that come grades, 1/2 of them will be disappointed. You have no way to know whether you will be in the 1/2 that is disappointed or whether you will be in the 1/2 that is above median. Your chances of being in the top 25% are, well, 25%. Since there's a 75% chance you're not going to be in the top 25% it doesn't make sense to ask as if that were going to happen.


I get what you're saying; the stats are what they are. However, for the purpose of my question only, I'm already assuming that I will be getting in the top 25%. That's why I want to know what the job market is like for any top 25% graduate at a 50-100 ranked school in Seattle.

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby No13baby » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:
bk1 wrote:
PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:Right. Point taken. Well, if I'm expecting a job at all, I'm planning (as all 0Ls do) to place in the top 50% (actually top 25% since that what my scholarship is for--yes I've read about scammy conditional scholarships like mine). So I guess my question is, can someone tell me the Seattle job scene if one places in the top 25%?


As you said, all 0L's plan on doing being at least above median. That means that come grades, 1/2 of them will be disappointed. You have no way to know whether you will be in the 1/2 that is disappointed or whether you will be in the 1/2 that is above median. Your chances of being in the top 25% are, well, 25%. Since there's a 75% chance you're not going to be in the top 25% it doesn't make sense to ask as if that were going to happen.


I get what you're saying; the stats are what they are. However, for the purpose of my question only, I'm already assuming that I will be getting in the top 25%. That's why I want to know what the job market is like for any top 25% graduate at a 50-100 ranked school in Seattle.

My BF graduated summa from Seattle U in 2006 (note: WELL BEFORE the legal profession started responding to the economy). It took him over a year to find a job.

Do not go to school there.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:51 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PutSumGravyOnIt
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby PutSumGravyOnIt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:47 pm

It's not a general assumption, sir; I'm using that as context to my question. In the real world, of course I'm not assuming I'll be top 25%--I could end up anywhere obviously.

However, to ask about a job market question, I have to provide some detail about what KIND of job market I'm looking for. To ask what the job market is like when I'm in the last 10% of class is quite different, isn't it. And since I would probably drop out or something if that happened, and therefore wouldn't care what the market would be like, why would I use that as a premise to my question?

But really, thanks for the help.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What is the Seattle job scene like for new grads?

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 pm

PutSumGravyOnIt wrote:It's not a general assumption, sir; I'm using that as context to my question. In the real world, of course I'm not assuming I'll be top 25%--I could end up anywhere obviously.

However, to ask about a job market question, I have to provide some detail about what KIND of job market I'm looking for. To ask what the job market is like when I'm in the last 10% of class is quite different, isn't it. And since I would probably drop out or something if that happened, and therefore wouldn't care what the market would be like, why would I use that as a premise to my question?

But really, thanks for the help.


It helps if you specify that you'll drop out after a year. Then people understand that you're really just asking--is it even worth it if I'm in the 25%. Top 25% at Seattle U *might* get biglaw, but from what I understand you'll hustle to hope to work in any sort of job.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests