Approx what percent actually make partner in biglaw? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
senorhosh

Bronze

Approx what percent actually make partner in biglaw?

Post by senorhosh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:00 am

I hear it's around 10% or so (obviously depends on the firm and other factors.. but this is just a general number). But since Biglaw has such a large attrition rate isn't this percent not representative of those who actually want to make partner?

For someone who sticks to the partner route all 7-8 years and doesn't quit (unless they are given the hint that they aren't wanted anymore), what are the chances of making partner?
Obviously I'm not looking for a pure number but more of a general idea of how uncommon it is taken voluntary attrition into factor.

Br3v

Gold

Re: Approx what percent actually make partner in biglaw?

Post by Br3v » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm thinking it's 10% of those ppl who stay but maybe this bump will give you a more knowledgeable posters response

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Depends what law firm, at the prestigious ones its significantly less than 10%, more like 2-3% of making partner at those firms.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:04 pm

senorhosh wrote:I hear it's around 10% or so (obviously depends on the firm and other factors.. but this is just a general number). But since Biglaw has such a large attrition rate isn't this percent not representative of those who actually want to make partner?

For someone who sticks to the partner route all 7-8 years and doesn't quit (unless they are given the hint that they aren't wanted anymore), what are the chances of making partner?
Obviously I'm not looking for a pure number but more of a general idea of how uncommon it is taken voluntary attrition into factor.
I like the question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”