Why has Villanova dropped?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cphal
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby cphal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:--ImageRemoved--


uncalled for i suppose... but that was well played ha

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:07 pm

A sustained rankings gap could very well matter in the long run, but as it currently stands, there is no discernible difference as far as local hiring goes. Take the rankings for what they are: utter horseshit. Remember, #101 ranked Villanova places more grads in biglaw than #26 Indiana.

tl;dr: peer schools are peer. See eg, Hastings v. Davis.

BTWalk
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby BTWalk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Ok, so I've been accepted to both Villanova and Temple. Both with scholarship and I've received my whole financial package from Villanova already (waiting on Temple's). I've been to Temple a bunch of times and like the area and its proximity to center city. I've never been to Nova but i figure its somewhat the same (probably nicer area). As of now, Nova is my choice because of the financial aid obviously. However, hearing all of this stuff makes me hesitant to commit. It seems as though people are subjectively giving responses and they are mixed. Being someone that will probably come out of school with a lot of debt (like everyone else). I want to make sure I have good prospects for a job. Any advice or words of wisdom on how to choose between the two?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 pm

BTWalk wrote:Ok, so I've been accepted to both Villanova and Temple. Both with scholarship and I've received my whole financial package from Villanova already (waiting on Temple's). I've been to Temple a bunch of times and like the area and its proximity to center city. I've never been to Nova but i figure its somewhat the same (probably nicer area). As of now, Nova is my choice because of the financial aid obviously. However, hearing all of this stuff makes me hesitant to commit. It seems as though people are subjectively giving responses and they are mixed. Being someone that will probably come out of school with a lot of debt (like everyone else). I want to make sure I have good prospects for a job. Any advice or words of wisdom on how to choose between the two?

Look at the employment statistics, brah. The schools offer virtually identical placement (and for what it's worth, neither will give you truly "good prospects").

Honestly, just pick the cheaper school. And if both end up costing approximately the same, pick which environment you think you'd enjoy more. I will say that Villanova is in the burbs, in a perfectly pleasant, but rather boring place (as someone who grew up there, I can tell you that the Main Line, while a wonderful place to raise a family, is quite underwhelming if you're a young, single, twenty-something--think something along the lines of BC's Newton, MA location).

law32
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby law32 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm a current 2L at Villanova, and I can verify what a lot of people have said on this thread. Between Temple and Villanova, go with the cheaper, more comfortable option.

The rankings drop sucks. I'll admit, I was depressed for a few hours after it came out. But at the end of the day, I doubt anything has really changed in terms of employment prospects. Top 10% will have a very good shot at big law, and the rest will have solid mid-law or ADA-type options in the area.

Last semester I went through OCI and had 19 screening interviews, of which I was selected for 14 call-backs. Of the 14, I withdrew from 5 firms, got rejected from 4 firms, and received 5 offers. Granted, this was all before the new rankings, but it was also after VLS fell from 61 to 80. Most of my peers on a journal got big law jobs for the summer. Those that did not--I suspect--had interviewing or other issues. I mention this not to toot my own horn, but to show that VLS students are not getting shunned from big law, despite the statistics debacle.

So how much will the drop from 80 to 101 matter? I can't say definitively. However, what I do know is that VLS has a ton of alumni in philly. This includes managing partners at some of the biggest firms in the area.

Don't be blind to the rankings. Do your research. Look up the big law firms in any city and check out where their attorneys went to school. Good luck.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm

to whoever said they like the area around temple...stepping off temple's campus is like stepping into a drug ravaged battlefield

fortunately you never have to leave campus as the subway and regional rail stations are both on campus

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:40 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:to whoever said they like the area around temple...stepping off temple's campus is like stepping into a drug ravaged battlefield

fortunately you never have to leave campus as the subway and regional rail stations are both on campus

Depends where you step off.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:to whoever said they like the area around temple...stepping off temple's campus is like stepping into a drug ravaged battlefield

fortunately you never have to leave campus as the subway and regional rail stations are both on campus

Depends where you step off.


Ehh not really...i go through that neighborhood everyday going to work its all pretty bad

btowncane
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby btowncane » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm

law32, do you mind me asking what your rank is? Also, do you have previous ties to philly? I'm just trying to gauge what type of rank a student would need for similar OCI results.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:31 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:to whoever said they like the area around temple...stepping off temple's campus is like stepping into a drug ravaged battlefield

fortunately you never have to leave campus as the subway and regional rail stations are both on campus

Depends where you step off.


Ehh not really...i go through that neighborhood everyday going to work its all pretty bad

You must be pretty skittish, then. The stretch of North Broad just before campus isn't great, but it's hardly a "drug-ravaged battlefield," and is perfectly safe in broad daylight.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:29 pm

im not skittish and i guess on broad its ok IN THE DAYTIME but east and west of Temple drug ravaged battlefield

but it doesnt really matter as Temple's campus is perfectly safe and living in center city is a 10 minute commute from it

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:41 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:im not skittish and i guess on broad its ok IN THE DAYTIME but east and west of Temple drug ravaged battlefield

but it doesnt really matter as Temple's campus is perfectly safe and living in center city is a 10 minute commute from it

Even at night, I've stopped for food along that section of North Broad countless times without issue. I'm also an average height/weight, utterly non-intimidating looking white male for what it's worth.

One of my lawl skool buddies lives right off Temple's campus on Master Street. It's a sketchy neighborhood for sure, but hardly a "battlefield." When you get a bit further out, that's another story entirely.

So yes, clearly you are skittish.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:47 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:im not skittish and i guess on broad its ok IN THE DAYTIME but east and west of Temple drug ravaged battlefield

but it doesnt really matter as Temple's campus is perfectly safe and living in center city is a 10 minute commute from it

Even at night, I've stopped for food along that section of North Broad countless times without issue. I'm also an average height/weight, utterly non-intimidating looking white male for what it's worth.

One of my lawl skool buddies lives right off Temple's campus on Master Street. It's a sketchy neighborhood for sure, but hardly a "battlefield." When you get a bit further out, that's another story entirely.

So yes, clearly you are skittish.


whatever you say hombre

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:im not skittish and i guess on broad its ok IN THE DAYTIME but east and west of Temple drug ravaged battlefield

but it doesnt really matter as Temple's campus is perfectly safe and living in center city is a 10 minute commute from it

Even at night, I've stopped for food along that section of North Broad countless times without issue. I'm also an average height/weight, utterly non-intimidating looking white male for what it's worth.

One of my lawl skool buddies lives right off Temple's campus on Master Street. It's a sketchy neighborhood for sure, but hardly a "battlefield." When you get a bit further out, that's another story entirely.

So yes, clearly you are skittish.


whatever you say hombre

In time, perhaps you too can get over being a scared whiteboy.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:im not skittish and i guess on broad its ok IN THE DAYTIME but east and west of Temple drug ravaged battlefield

but it doesnt really matter as Temple's campus is perfectly safe and living in center city is a 10 minute commute from it

Even at night, I've stopped for food along that section of North Broad countless times without issue. I'm also an average height/weight, utterly non-intimidating looking white male for what it's worth.

One of my lawl skool buddies lives right off Temple's campus on Master Street. It's a sketchy neighborhood for sure, but hardly a "battlefield." When you get a bit further out, that's another story entirely.

So yes, clearly you are skittish.


whatever you say hombre

In time, perhaps you too can get over being a scared whiteboy.



thanks...yeah i try not to roam around that neighborhood without my numchucks

the only reason i said drug ravaged battlefield is because it was mentioned in a two and a half men episode i just watched my only point was that Temple is not in a good area but toushay sir

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:thanks...yeah i try not to roam around that neighborhood without my numchucks

the only reason i said drug ravaged battlefield is because it was mentioned in a two and a half men episode i just watched my only point was that Temple is not in a good area but toushay sir

"Not in a good area" and "drug ravaged battlefield" are two very different things. I like the post-prime sitcom reference though.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:56 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:thanks...yeah i try not to roam around that neighborhood without my numchucks

the only reason i said drug ravaged battlefield is because it was mentioned in a two and a half men episode i just watched my only point was that Temple is not in a good area but toushay sir

"Not in a good area" and "drug ravaged battlefield" are two very different things. I like the post-prime sitcom reference though.


the episode was from its prime, season three, i don't think ill ever get over being a scared whiteboy though

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:59 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:thanks...yeah i try not to roam around that neighborhood without my numchucks

the only reason i said drug ravaged battlefield is because it was mentioned in a two and a half men episode i just watched my only point was that Temple is not in a good area but toushay sir

"Not in a good area" and "drug ravaged battlefield" are two very different things. I like the post-prime sitcom reference though.


the episode was from its prime, season three, i don't think ill ever get over being a scared whiteboy though

Explore a wide variety of urban areas. Talk to the people. Learn detect the fine line between "gritty" and "imminently dangerous." I grew up on the Main Line, so I didn't just wake up one morning and say, "seems like a good day to go to the ghetto!" It was a gradual learning process.

srfngdd6
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why has Villanova dropped?

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
srfngdd6 wrote:thanks...yeah i try not to roam around that neighborhood without my numchucks

the only reason i said drug ravaged battlefield is because it was mentioned in a two and a half men episode i just watched my only point was that Temple is not in a good area but toushay sir

"Not in a good area" and "drug ravaged battlefield" are two very different things. I like the post-prime sitcom reference though.


the episode was from its prime, season three, i don't think ill ever get over being a scared whiteboy though

Explore a wide variety of urban areas. Talk to the people. Learn detect the fine line between "gritty" and "imminently dangerous." I grew up on the Main Line, so I didn't just wake up one morning and say, "seems like a good day to go to the ghetto!" It was a gradual learning process.


the main line has some rough areas...

kidding

i deal with people from crappy neighborhoods at work hear some horror stories but grew up around philly so nothing surprises me anymore...if your relatively inelligent im sure you can figure out what areas are fine to go in at what times and also not to walk down north broad at night with your iphone out




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests