Working Abroad after law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Perchik

Working Abroad after law school

Postby Perchik » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:27 pm

For student looking to use their law degrees in perhaps non-conventional ways and work abroad after law school in the non-profit/NGO field - what advice would you give? I'm not thinking of "international human rights law" but, keeping all options open, how difficult is it to work abroad after law school in the public interest field in general? Do you see many of your peers seeking these jobs actually succeed in getting something they enjoy?

Jhuen_the_bird

Re: Working Abroad after law school

Postby Jhuen_the_bird » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Perchik wrote:For student looking to use their law degrees in perhaps non-conventional ways and work abroad after law school in the non-profit/NGO field - what advice would you give? I'm not thinking of "international human rights law" but, keeping all options open, how difficult is it to work abroad after law school in the public interest field in general? Do you see many of your peers seeking these jobs actually succeed in getting something they enjoy?

I know a few people who did internships/externships abroad during law school and one ended up returning to work there after graduation. It's definitely possible. I'm not sure how difficult it is, but if it's what you want, it might not be THAT much more difficult than finding a job here in this legal economy since most people don't want to go work abroad with their law degrees. Just make sure you go to a school that has these opportunities available (or at least can advise you where to look).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”