Dating in law school. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Dating in law school.

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 am

Kimikho wrote:
BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Guys, DON'T DO IT. Think rationally, in terms of potential outcomes: you could (1) end up in a healthy relationship leading to a marriage, or (2) break up with her during law school. If (2) occurs, you will have to see this person day in and day out for the rest of your law school career. If she's hot, she'll probably have plenty of guys vying for her attention, and there may be some PDA involved. Even if you are "still friends" after the breakup, expect to walk in on her in a study room, necking it out with some guy from your 1L section.

Moral of the story: when people say "don't shit where you eat," it's not a joke and you're not a special snowflake.

True story bro.
so how long did you date her?
Just a run of the mill disinterested bump of a two year old thread, I'm sure.

(Also, holy shit, TLS was retarded back then with the memes.)

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:17 am

I would rather date someone in my section than a girl who's in business school. Med school wife is the dream. Reverse Huxtable or die [alone] trying.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 am

just dont date intrasection 1L

but really, dating a law student must be just terrible, for all parties involved

seek out greener pastures

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:16 am

Why would you do this to yourself?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 am

Because you are two stressed out people and fucking greatly releases tension. It only gets awkward if you're immature shits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am

bjsesq wrote:Because you are two stressed out people and fucking greatly releases tension. It only gets awkward if you're immature shits.
I was sort-of joking. But, being in such a closed in space and seeing each other constantly within that same stressful space sounds pretty awful.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 am

TheoO wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Because you are two stressed out people and fucking greatly releases tension. It only gets awkward if you're immature shits.
I was sort-of joking. But, being in such a closed in space and seeing each other constantly within that same stressful space sounds pretty awful.
But seeing each other outside that stressful space can be great, since you are both attempting to escape that tension. This is sex, not a business venture, and there is no need to let it get dumb.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:
TheoO wrote:
But seeing each other outside that stressful space can be great, since you are both attempting to escape that tension. This is sex, not a business venture, and there is no need to let it get dumb.
I'm inclined to agree here. Currently dating someone in my same section and it is working out really well (although as 1Ls it is still fairly new). Not only do we get sexytimes as study breaks, we can bounce substantive law questions off one another, critique resumes and cover letters. We don't compete with one another, we work together. We established pretty early that it would be bad to work against one another and try and sustain a relationship, so instead we help one another and are encouraging. I did really well on a practice exam that she didn't, and she was proud of me but also asked for feedback. I gave what feedback I could and she improved. It isn't seen as a "he is better than me" it is seen as an "I'm proud he did well." I think that's important to establish.

Also, because law school is so stressful, we understand the irrational stress and both accept the "its just fucking law school stress" as a legitimate excuse for some of the dumb shit we do or say sometimes.

And, getting to go out with someone and enjoy not law school together is pretty great.

I was apprehensive, but wouldn't knock it if you approach it correctly.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:11 pm

you guys should summer at the same firm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:15 pm

exhibit a of my point

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Attax wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
TheoO wrote:
I'm inclined to agree here. Currently dating someone in my same section and it is working out really well (although as 1Ls it is still fairly new). Not only do we get sexytimes as study breaks, we can bounce substantive law questions off one another, critique resumes and cover letters. We don't compete with one another, we work together. We established pretty early that it would be bad to work against one another and try and sustain a relationship, so instead we help one another and are encouraging. I did really well on a practice exam that she didn't, and she was proud of me but also asked for feedback. I gave what feedback I could and she improved. It isn't seen as a "he is better than me" it is seen as an "I'm proud he did well." I think that's important to establish.

Also, because law school is so stressful, we understand the irrational stress and both accept the "its just fucking law school stress" as a legitimate excuse for some of the dumb shit we do or say sometimes.

And, getting to go out with someone and enjoy not law school together is pretty great.

I was apprehensive, but wouldn't knock it if you approach it correctly.
Come back after you break up.

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:55 pm

There was a lot of sleeping around at the beginning of the semester. But it seems like once everyone started to realize we'd be seeing each other all-day, everyday that it stopped. Then shame and awkwardness took over.

A few people are now in relationships but it is also pretty awkward knowing that someone's bf or gf banged another person in the section while their SO is painfully oblivious to the fact. I also know of at least two people that have cheated on their SO within the class. Scandalous stuff.

Moral of the story: don't date within the law school. The odds are very much against you. Sleeping around might be okay, but probably still isn't worth it.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Just bang undergrads, they don't understand how dumb you must be to go to law school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sheriff

Bronze

Post by Sheriff » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 pm

Kratos wrote:Just bang undergrads, they don't understand how dumb you must be to go to law school
TITCR.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm

I definitely isn't for everyone, and if done wrong can be shitty. I'm not complaining, just approach it cautiously and be open minded. /shrug Will bump again when single again.
Last edited by Attax on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Dating lawyers or law students is always a bad idea. Always.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:30 am

Sexytime and personal time is NOT time to bounce law questions off each other. You're letting shit mix up and it won't have good results.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:40 am

Probably not a great idea during 1L. But if you do, just keep it relatively private and be adults.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:41 am

Agreed, which is why we keep them distinct. I should clarify that we bounce ideas off when studying/outlining together. It isn't bang-bang-bang-"hey honey I have a RAP question"-bang-bang-bang

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 am

bjsesq wrote:It only gets awkward if you're immature shits.
This. I dated another 1L and it didn't work out, and it's not an issue at all.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:53 am

Attax wrote:Agreed, which is why we keep them distinct. I should clarify that we bounce ideas off when studying/outlining together. It isn't bang-bang-bang-"hey honey I have a RAP question"-bang-bang-bang
I was gonna say, it sounded awkward.

You: You like it when I lick your pussy, baby?
Her: Oh, yes.
You: You taste amazing.
Her: oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. Wait, I THINK PARTY B IS SUBJECT TO DIVESTMENT IN PROBLEM 2!
You: *cums* baby, check my avulsion. I think it got on your pillow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:58 am

:lol:

If that were how it worked it would have ended a long time ago!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:33 am

Outside of my study group, I just stay the fuck away from all the other students in my section. There's a few reasons for this. 1- Already married. 2- I hear the gossip going around about who had sex with who and who's obsessed with who, blah blah.. I honestly feel like that type of behavior is disrespectful to legal education. I loathe some of my classmates for treating this like some sort of extension of high school. GROW UP! Sorry for my brief rant OP but I think if you're gonna date in law school, try doing it with someone who isn't a law student.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:42 am

Can anyone shed some anecdotal insight on having a long term, long distance SO at home during 1L? Long distance as in plane ride distance.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:58 am

Don't worry Marino the very existence of your school is disrespectful to legal education

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”