Dating in law school.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
futurejdgirl

Dating in law school.

Postby futurejdgirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 am

Didn't see a thread for this. Thought I'd ask. Is the dating scene nonexistent? Haven't heard anyone refer to it at all. Do you date classmates? Casual hookups? Horror stories? Share them!

monkey85

Re: Dating in law school.

Postby monkey85 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:15 pm

It is like any situation that includes both genders - people end up running the gamut of hookups to serious relationships. Lots of intra-section couples emerge by second semester of 1L year. It is also like middle school and rumors spread like wildfire. Enjoy lawl skool.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Sounds like fun.

Jhuen_the_bird

Postby Jhuen_the_bird » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Even though I went to a relatively small school, I knew several folks who dated each other in law school (i.e. law students dating each other). Some relationships worked out / lasted, others didn't. I'm pretty sure there were some hookups, but I didn't really pay attention to the details. LOTS of people (myself included) got married during law school (to non-law student / non-lawyers we had been dating prior to law school). Other folks stayed in previous relationships, got engaged, or broke up. It's pretty standard. I even knew several students (male and female) who had kids born during law school. Basically, life DOES go on during law school!

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:51 pm

so there is still hope for us flying solo into law school?

Jhuen_the_bird

Postby Jhuen_the_bird » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Chucky21 wrote:so there is still hope for us flying solo into law school?

It depends how social you are / want to be while in law school. There is definitely time to be social, if that's what you're worried about. 1L year felt like endless amounts of free time in between studying and unnecessary panicking since you aren't working. All you have to do is go to class, study, and hang out. I didn't get too involved with the social scene (although I did go out sometimes with law school folks) since I was already engaged when I started law school, but I could have been way more involved if I'd wanted to.

in2win

Postby in2win » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:54 pm

i personally will be creeping very hard on the undergraduate freshman lol that might be too easy though

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:58 pm

There are plenty of people who date/hook up with other law students. I stay the fuck away from that for a few reasons: (1) Law school hot < rest of the school hot; (2) I don't shit where I eat; (3) You may date for three years, end up at the same firm, and then break up right after graduation, leading to years of awkwardness at the office (this is a true story).

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I see no problem dating while in law school, but I'd draw the line of dating within the law school. It might be easier in the short run, but if it goes bad, you have to deal with the fallout. When you're a part of of a relatively small group, there will be gossip. And you'd have to be around that person for the remainder of law school - which, can ruin your entire social scene if the breakup was particularly bad.

Although, I find math and science nerds more interesting than law students, so hopefully I won't have the urge to, in the words of Lincoln, "shit where I eat."

MTBike

Postby MTBike » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:02 pm

in2win wrote:i personally will be creeping very hard on the undergraduate freshman lol that might be too easy though

You keep getting older and they stay the same age.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 pm

MTBike wrote:
in2win wrote:i personally will be creeping very hard on the undergraduate freshman lol that might be too easy though

lol

lukeboydwick

Postby lukeboydwick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:02 pm

MTBike wrote:

Bravo

futurejdgirl

Postby futurejdgirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Interesting. I figured it is a bad idea to date fellow law students... Damn. Should have gone to med school.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:48 pm

TLS has no need for a thread like this. It already has this thread. Far more useful.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:TLS has no need for a thread like this. It already has this thread. Far more useful.

This one seems more focused, haha.

cylon_clone wrote:Although, I find math and science nerds more interesting than law students, so hopefully I won't have the urge to, in the words of Lincoln, "shit where I eat."

Also, this. Not sure where to hunt them down, though...don't they usually hide in labs?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:39 am

See FA Thread.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 am

Guchster wrote:See FA Thread.

Apparently it's not "focused" enough for these guys. They mean srs bsns.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:47 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

They will come around. They all come around . . . eventually.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Dating while a law student is totally possible. If you find someone who can put up with your eventual neuroses, they're saints.

Dating within law school is also possible, though I recommend looking outside your section (although intrasection dating when 1L is over isn't bad.). That said, gender dynamics can screw you.

At my school, for example, more guys came single than not while more girls came with SOs than not (at least that's impression). Factor in whatever your standards are, and it's rough. 2L gets better, because everyone mixes.

Tl;dr version: go troll the FA thread

thebardess

Postby thebardess » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 pm

SPAM

BrooklynLaw16

Postby BrooklynLaw16 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:51 am

Guys, DON'T DO IT. Think rationally, in terms of potential outcomes: you could (1) end up in a healthy relationship leading to a marriage, or (2) break up with her during law school. If (2) occurs, you will have to see this person day in and day out for the rest of your law school career. If she's hot, she'll probably have plenty of guys vying for her attention, and there may be some PDA involved. Even if you are "still friends" after the breakup, expect to walk in on her in a study room, necking it out with some guy from your 1L section.

Moral of the story: when people say "don't shit where you eat," it's not a joke and you're not a special snowflake.

True story bro.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:17 am

One thing I noticed from my class is that, out of every couple, one of them failed the bar.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:43 am

BrooklynLaw16 wrote:Guys, DON'T DO IT. Think rationally, in terms of potential outcomes: you could (1) end up in a healthy relationship leading to a marriage, or (2) break up with her during law school. If (2) occurs, you will have to see this person day in and day out for the rest of your law school career. If she's hot, she'll probably have plenty of guys vying for her attention, and there may be some PDA involved. Even if you are "still friends" after the breakup, expect to walk in on her in a study room, necking it out with some guy from your 1L section.

Moral of the story: when people say "don't shit where you eat," it's not a joke and you're not a special snowflake.

True story bro.

so how long did you date her?

Aurelius85

Postby Aurelius85 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 am

Lincoln wrote: (2) I don't shit where I eat

So true. And after all, Business Schools are where you find the hottest chicks, that and Psych students.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”