I don't understand. "Why do you want to go to law school?" Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bk1

Diamond

Re: I don't understand. "Why do you want to go to law school?"

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Tarheel1234 wrote:And getting a job after undergrad ain't easy, especially with a useless liberal arts major.
It's even harder to get a job after law school.

Jhuen_the_bird

New

Post by Jhuen_the_bird » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm

bk187 wrote:
Tarheel1234 wrote:And getting a job after undergrad ain't easy, especially with a useless liberal arts major.
It's even harder to get a job after law school.
Truth.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Samara wrote:
Ioannis wrote:But I've reasoned I fit the bill, due to my extreme interest in politics and how the law influences society. That is not the only reason, but few other interests that are very much connected with law. I'm not a math or science person but i've learned in college that I'm a very good at grasping concepts and theories extremely quickly and understanding them thoroughly. I can "Read between the lines" I'm a person quick to make connections between things and have been able to make my own ideas about them. I'm very good at understanding "both sides to the coin" in issues. I don't know what else to say about myself right now, but I feel like i possess many attributes that will fit me as a lawyer.
I worked in politics before going to law school, and wanting to get out of politics strongly influenced my decision to pursue a legal career instead. TBH, law school is not really a hot bed of political activism (at least my school isn't, thankfully) and most of the professors do not want to talk about politics in class. Sometimes I hear my classmates with no work experience say they want to be lobbyists when they graduate, and it makes me shake my head. That is NOT how you get a job as a lobbyist, or at least not as a well-paid lobbyist. If you want to work in politics, go get a job on a campaign. This is a presidential and congressional election year, so there are plenty of campaign jobs out there.

OP, I experienced some of the same feelings you are having before committing to law school. The point of most of the negativity isn't to say no one should go to any law school, ever; it's to make sure people are going into fully informed of the risks.

I do think it's a good idea to take time off and work for a couple of years, if you haven't already done so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”