Georgetown 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fanmingrui

Georgetown 1L Taking Questions

Postby fanmingrui » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 am

I haven't seen one of these for a while so I thought I'd answer any Qs you might have while I'm on.

fanmingrui

Re: Georgetown 1L Taking Questions

Postby fanmingrui » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Back on if there are any questions.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:31 am

fanmingrui wrote:Back on if there are any questions.

Ive heard that curriculum b students tend to be a bit older...is that true? Are tjere any differences in the b vs a groups people wise? Im sure there would be some since its self selecting

myselfersonEsq

Postby myselfersonEsq » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 am

Are you a Georgetown Business student? I hear all the Georgetown Business grads just have to own a phone and then they wake up millionaires the next day. Do you play soccer? I hear if you play soccer you can get a millionaire girl pregnant and then sue her for child support. Is that true?

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:

Ive heard that curriculum b students tend to be a bit older...is that true? Are tjere any differences in the b vs a groups people wise? Im sure there would be some since its self selecting

I don't think there is a significant difference in age between the Curriculum B students and the rest of us. The part-time students tend to be a bit older. Generally, Section 3 (the alt section) tends to be somewhat more PI heavy (though there are a lot of PI-minded students in every section), and it gets the reputation for being a bit more gunnerish, though I don't know if it's justified. I do know that the alternate curriculum requires more reading than the traditional curriculum.

myselfersonEsq

Postby myselfersonEsq » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:59 pm

fanmingrui wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:

I don't think there is a significant difference in age between the Curriculum B students and the rest of us. The part-time students tend to be a bit older. Generally, Section 3 (the alt section) tends to be somewhat more PI heavy (though there are a lot of PI-minded students in every section), and it gets the reputation for being a bit more gunnerish, though I don't know if it's justified. I do know that the alternate curriculum requires more reading than the traditional curriculum.

I heard that before the Obama healthcare law passed, there was a professor at Georgetown law who required his students to read the document in its entirety.

I do not believe that is actually, technically, possible, the way things went down with that law, but going to Georgetown might not be that bad of an idea, really.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Favorite thing about Georgetown?

Least favorite thing about Georgetown?

What is the student body atmosphere like?

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 am

Metaread wrote:Favorite thing about Georgetown?

Least favorite thing about Georgetown?

What is the student body atmosphere like?

Favorite thing is probably the quality of the faculty. I've had classes from some absolute rockstars. OLC lawyers, counsel who have argued 40+ cases before SCOTUS, you read cases argued by your professors. The location of the school lends itself to incredible opportunities to learn from people who are actually shaping the law. Other than that, OCS is really helpful and people are, for the most part, very friendly.

I would say my least favorite thing is probably the size of my class. The sections make it feel smaller, but the fact remains that there are only so many seats at the biglaw/bigfed table and more Georgetown grads than places.

Even with the massive student body, Georgetown has a very friendly feel. People are always willing to share notes etc., and at least in my section nobody is openly hostile or competitive. I really like the people here; I'm not sure the experience would be quite so positive at some of our peer schools (though my impression is based solely on reputation and anecdote.)

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:23 pm

There's about a 75% chance I'll be at Gtown this fall - still deciding/waiting to hear back from other schools, but I'm pretty set on DC, and I've been looking into where to live. I know Gewirz is really convenient, but I have no desire to do the dorm thing again (I had to live in a house with 50 girls last year, so I've paid my dues in that regard).

I've looked at some of the places close to the law center, like Mass Court and Gables 215C, but I'd like to hear your opinion on living a bit further out and taking the metro in every day. Is this really inconvenient as a 1L, or is it manageable? Areas like Cleveland Park and Dupont are fairly appealing to me, and seem pretty safe. I'll also have my car with me, and it seems like parking isn't at quite as much of a premium in these areas. If you have any other recommendations, I'd to be happy to hear them! Thanks in advance!

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 pm

hookem12 wrote:There's about a 75% chance I'll be at Gtown this fall - still deciding/waiting to hear back from other schools, but I'm pretty set on DC, and I've been looking into where to live. I know Gewirz is really convenient, but I have no desire to do the dorm thing again (I had to live in a house with 50 girls last year, so I've paid my dues in that regard).

I've looked at some of the places close to the law center, like Mass Court and Gables 215C, but I'd like to hear your opinion on living a bit further out and taking the metro in every day. Is this really inconvenient as a 1L, or is it manageable? Areas like Cleveland Park and Dupont are fairly appealing to me, and seem pretty safe. I'll also have my car with me, and it seems like parking isn't at quite as much of a premium in these areas. If you have any other recommendations, I'd to be happy to hear them! Thanks in advance!

I live in Arlington and it takes me about 40 minutes to commute in via metro. It's considerably cheaper and there is ample parking at my complex. I definitely prefer it to living in Gewirz, especially come finals. I have friends in Mass Court and 425; they love the convenience, the price not so much. I also have a couple of friends in Dupont who love it there. The commute is 20-30 minutes via metro or walking. If you don't mind the commute, I would probably suggest living a little further from campus. It's kind of nice to be able to go home and remove yourself from campus, especially when the panic sets in for all your classmates at the end of the semester. It's nice not paying through the nose to live in Gallery Place/Chinatown as well.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Checking in. Also a 1L. I'd be glad to help answer questions.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for your response! Also, I know that east of the law center can get a bit sketchy, but about how far east would you have to be? Just want to make sure I don't look at an apartment a few blocks east and think it's fine during the day, then fear for my life anytime past 8 p.m.

Another question I have is about placement, and where the majority of students end up working after graduation. I'm mainly interested in corporate law, but I know Georgetown does a lot with non-profits and public service. I assume that those interested in the latter subjects tend to stay in the DC area, but I've heard that many Georgetown grads wind up in New York for corporate, as well as a smaller number in Chicago. Do you know of any other geographic areas that students tend to work in, post-grad?

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 pm

hookem12 wrote:Thanks for your response! Also, I know that east of the law center can get a bit sketchy, but about how far east would you have to be? Just want to make sure I don't look at an apartment a few blocks east and think it's fine during the day, then fear for my life anytime past 8 p.m.

Another question I have is about placement, and where the majority of students end up working after graduation. I'm mainly interested in corporate law, but I know Georgetown does a lot with non-profits and public service. I assume that those interested in the latter subjects tend to stay in the DC area, but I've heard that many Georgetown grads wind up in New York for corporate, as well as a smaller number in Chicago. Do you know of any other geographic areas that students tend to work in, post-grad?

New York is the big one. That's where I'm probably headed. Other than that, a lot of it will come down to ties and grades. If you have decent grades and can demonstrate a strong reason for choosing a market (usually involving some significant ties), the degree itself is probably nationally portable.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 am

In terms of meeting people, making friends, being social, etc. would it be advantageous to stay in gerwirz (however its spelled)? Is it like a college dorm where everyone keeps their doors open and hangs out and goes out together and all that, or do people do their own thing?

I'm deciding where to live and obviously living in a nicer apt somewhere else would be nicer, but I don't know anyone in DC and want to have that "bonding" with classmates/etc. So if that would be easier at gerwirz I would rather live there since it is more important to me than having a nice apartment.

But some people have told me that there are other areas where a LOT of students live. But I feel like in those areas people probably live there because they already have their own friends and stuff and are doing their own thing.

fanmingrui

Postby fanmingrui » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 am

swtlilsoni wrote:In terms of meeting people, making friends, being social, etc. would it be advantageous to stay in gerwirz (however its spelled)? Is it like a college dorm where everyone keeps their doors open and hangs out and goes out together and all that, or do people do their own thing?

I'm deciding where to live and obviously living in a nicer apt somewhere else would be nicer, but I don't know anyone in DC and want to have that "bonding" with classmates/etc. So if that would be easier at gerwirz I would rather live there since it is more important to me than having a nice apartment.

But some people have told me that there are other areas where a LOT of students live. But I feel like in those areas people probably live there because they already have their own friends and stuff and are doing their own thing.

Gewirz definitely has more of a college dorm feel, and the people there form groups and become close quickly. However, you'll bond with the people from your section, and though I live in Arlington, I have a lot of friends from school I hang out with regularly. I guess on the whole, Gewirz has an undergrad feel and is very social, but you will make friends no matter where you live.

arodd53

Postby arodd53 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Hope you don't mind if I resurrect this. Are there outlets in the classrooms? When I visited I couldn't see them.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:23 am

arodd53 wrote:Hope you don't mind if I resurrect this. Are there outlets in the classrooms? When I visited I couldn't see them.

Plentiful outlets in every classroom. Most of the big lecture halls have them under desks, so you wouldn't have been able to see them.

Also, for everyone asking about Gewirz:

It's a dorm. Just like college. People leave their doors unlocked sometimes. You see everyone going in and out, on the way to class, the (connected) gym, laundry, etc. Some floors get a bit rowdy on Thursdays. It's mostly fairly quiet though. Roommate assignments can be hit or miss. The crowd is definitely on the young side. I'd guess that the average age range is 23-25. Proximity to campus made it worth it for me. It helps that the dork is mostly 1Ls, so everyone's studying at the sane time you are. Also, the dorm is connected to the gym, Subway, and the smaller campus library. There are study lounges on every other floor and shopping shuttles for groceries and Target. Pretty damn convenient if you ask me.

I'm a current 1L in a 3-bed in Gewirz. I like it, but I'll be glad to move out next year. Gewirz was convenient and it was easy to bond with people when you see them all the time. There are also planned activities and outings, as well as a TV/games lounge on the first floor. You'll always find someone to watch the game with, or go out and grab dinner with. Now, however, I have a close group of friends and plenty of acquaintances. I also know my way around the school and surrounding area. Gewirz was good for the first year, but one year is enough.

commerceclause

Postby commerceclause » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:27 am

Question about Curriculum B: do students miss out of the more 'black letter' coursework and therefore face a disadvantage for the bar? That is, you don't get contracts, civ pro, etc. Right?

juju96

Postby juju96 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:36 am

on the fin aid website it budgets just under 25k for living expenses (for 9 months). Would you say this a pretty accurate number or in your experience can you get by for less?

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

juju96 wrote:on the fin aid website it budgets just under 25k for living expenses (for 9 months). Would you say this a pretty accurate number or in your experience can you get by for less?

Thats a LOT. I remember at asw the financial aid people said thats a higher estimate. One lady said she can raise her kids on a lot less but thet assume as students we would want to eat at nice plaves and buy nice things so they gave a high estimate

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:57 pm

juju96 wrote:on the fin aid website it budgets just under 25k for living expenses (for 9 months). Would you say this a pretty accurate number or in your experience can you get by for less?

It's a very high amount. You can do it for probably around 18k and still eat well and enjoy nights out (but have roommates) if budgeting on 9 months. But remember you also need backup funds for your first summer. 1L summer you will likely rely on EJF funding which comes out to 3200 or something which is not really enough to live on thus using the backup funds from the year (especially if you don't work in DC but maintain a place there you owe the rent for the 3 month. If you move somewhere you can live cheap/free and don't keep a DC rent to pay you can schedule for just 9 months).

I think it's better to divide the 25k/12 months to show what you are receiving and budget accordingly. I believe that is why they state it so high.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”