0L Question RE: Big Law Interviews

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kaiser

Re: 0L Question RE: Big Law Interviews

Postby kaiser » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 pm

This isn't the kind of question you will get an a biglaw interview since they know it is unlikely to produce a meaningful or honest answer. What else could you say aside from "a partner with your firm"?

However, I was once asked what skills I would like to gain through my time at the firm, and how I would utilize them 5-10 years down the road. So I guess that touched upon what I would actually be doing at the time, but you can see how the question actually allowed for some open-ended thought.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 am

DaftAndDirect wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Go drink a beer, and get back to us in a few years. Ya'll need to chill out.

When I said "fair enough [...]" in my original post I meant exactly what I said. Thanks for the advice. I get it. The question itself still has value regardless of who is asking it.

I'll explain my advice.

First, you've got it backwards. Worry about getting into a good school. When that's accomplished, worry about getting good grades. When that's done, worry about getting a sweet 1L summer gig. (And no, you wouldn't be asked that question for a 1L gig.) When that's accomplished, you can start worrying about OCI. At that point, around 18 months from now, you've hopefully got a better idea of where you want to be five years later, and can give a better answer. You'll also have peers, alumni, and career office staff who can help you moot interviews and give you much better feedback on your answer. I honestly believe that addressing the hurdles associated with a legal career are best addressed in chronological order. You don't see me posting about what the senate judiciary committee will ask me during my confirmation hearing for my SDNY judgeship.

Second, in 18 screeners and 6 CBs, I was never asked this questions. (Nor in any interviews I had in my five post-college, pre-law school years.) That doesn't mean it doesn't happen that partners ask, but assuming you don't indicate that you don't have an interest in staying at the firm or that you have unrealistic expectations as to career path (hopefully you can figure out yourself what answers would constitute such indications) it's unlikely that your answer will be in any way determinative of whether you receive an offer or not. There are things that are much more important that I, or others on this board, could help you with.

Third, your ability to handle your drink will be a much better predictor of your success in the legal field than your ability to waffle on a question as stupid as that one.

Hence, go drink some beer, and get back to us when you're getting close to OCI.

Edited for forgetting half a sentence.
Last edited by Lincoln on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:04 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 am

I never once got that question. It's more behavioral type interviewing. E.g. "Tell me about this job..." They expect you to hit the criteria they are looking for during the stories.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:33 am

Lincoln wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Go drink a beer, and get back to us in a few years. Ya'll need to chill out.

When I said "fair enough [...]" in my original post I meant exactly what I said. Thanks for the advice. I get it. The question itself still has value regardless of who is asking it.

I'll explain my advice.

First, you've got it backwards. Worry about getting into a good school. When that's accomplished, worry about getting good grades. When that's done, worry about getting a sweet 1L summer gig. (And no, you wouldn't be asked that question for a 1L gig.) When that's accomplished, you can start worrying about OCI. At that point, around 18 months from now, you've hopefully got a better idea of where you want to be five years later, and can give a better answer. You'll also have peers, alumni, and career office staff who can help you moot interviews and give you much better feedback on your answer. I honestly believe that addressing the hurdles associated with a legal career are best addressed in chronological order. You don't see me posting about what the senate judiciary committee will ask me during my confirmation hearing for my SDNY judgeship.

Second, in 18 screeners and 6 CBs, I was never asked this questions. (Nor in any interviews I had in my five post-college, pre-law school years.) That doesn't mean it doesn't happen that partners ask, but assuming you don't indicate that you don't have an interest in staying at the firm or that you have unrealistic expectations as to career path (hopefully you can figure out yourself what answers would constitute such indications) it's unlikely that your answer will be in any way determinative of whether you receive an offer or not. There are things that are much more important that I, or others on this board, could help you with.

Third, your ability to handle your drink will be a much better predictor of your success in the legal field than your ability to waffle on a question as stupid as that one.

Hence, go drink some beer, and get back to us when you're getting close to OCI.

Edited for forgetting half a sentence.

Thanks for the reply. I guess it would have been better to clarify my interest in having this question answered. I realize getting in to specifics about interviews that I don't even have yet seems dumb and from your perspective I can see why you think that way. The question falls under the umbrella of my general curiosity about the difference between Big Law interviews and the interviews that you get in business/finance. The "10 years from now" question is very popular in the latter and it's a question that I have fumbled in the past which also cost me a job that I really wanted.

Like I said I do appreciate the advice but I don't come to TLS to chill out. I come here to gun anonymously so I can save my future classmates the trouble of having to hear this stuff in person.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”