Case Western Reserve University Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:26 pm

sumtimesuwonder wrote:Do you enjoy living in Cleveland?

When I was a freshman in undergrad I hated it. Now I do like it, but it depends on what sort of place you want to live in. Case is right in between downtown and the burbs so I feel like i have the convenience of the suburbs, and then if I want, the city with all its restaurants, theaters, nightlife (although I will say Cleveland nightlife is limited - we have a lot of great bars here, but not much in the way of clubs) is only 15 minutes away. By the same token, Cleveland isn't NYC - you can't just stumble upon something to do, you usually have to look for it. For me I think that's great, because if I was going to law school in NYC, I'd never get any work done. The people here are for the most part lovely - I babysat for a while, and the family basically adopted me. The weather here isn't great, it rains a lot in the fall/spring, is cold and gloomy in the winter and really hot in the summer. But everything here is very affordable, so that's a plus. I mean, at the local bar everyone goes to, Paninnis, you can buy a mixed drink for $2.75. Overall, I think it's a great place to go to law school - although I don't necessarily see myself living here when I graduate.

User avatar
puremorning
Posts: 426
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Postby puremorning » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:35 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:Do you enjoy living in Cleveland?

When I was a freshman in undergrad I hated it. Now I do like it, but it depends on what sort of place you want to live in. Case is right in between downtown and the burbs so I feel like i have the convenience of the suburbs, and then if I want, the city with all its restaurants, theaters, nightlife (although I will say Cleveland nightlife is limited - we have a lot of great bars here, but not much in the way of clubs) is only 15 minutes away. By the same token, Cleveland isn't NYC - you can't just stumble upon something to do, you usually have to look for it. For me I think that's great, because if I was going to law school in NYC, I'd never get any work done. The people here are for the most part lovely - I babysat for a while, and the family basically adopted me. The weather here isn't great, it rains a lot in the fall/spring, is cold and gloomy in the winter and really hot in the summer. But everything here is very affordable, so that's a plus. I mean, at the local bar everyone goes to, Paninnis, you can buy a mixed drink for $2.75. Overall, I think it's a great place to go to law school - although I don't necessarily see myself living here when I graduate.


Yeah, I grew up here and go to Case for grad school currently, so I can speak to this as well. The cost of living is amazing. You really can't beat it. The location of Case is pretty sweet as well, you're amongst all the culture and right at the edge of the city. Case also gets you into all of the good museums for free, which is a huge plus IMO. And the friendliness of the midwest can't be beat. That being said, there is a nightlife, but it's easy to get sick of going to the same places. As for clubs, they're there, you just have to find them. My bf is a dj, so I've been all over CLE with him and his friends, but it's scattered across the city. You're not going to find big clubs here, it's mostly smaller, underground places, but I have an awesome time when I go. And I've only had to pay a cover once, usually it's when they bring people in from out of town. And you can't beat the cheapness of the drinks either. Great Lakes makes some of the best beer I've ever had, and most places charge $4 for a bottle.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:46 pm

puremorning wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
sumtimesuwonder wrote:Do you enjoy living in Cleveland?

When I was a freshman in undergrad I hated it. Now I do like it, but it depends on what sort of place you want to live in. Case is right in between downtown and the burbs so I feel like i have the convenience of the suburbs, and then if I want, the city with all its restaurants, theaters, nightlife (although I will say Cleveland nightlife is limited - we have a lot of great bars here, but not much in the way of clubs) is only 15 minutes away. By the same token, Cleveland isn't NYC - you can't just stumble upon something to do, you usually have to look for it. For me I think that's great, because if I was going to law school in NYC, I'd never get any work done. The people here are for the most part lovely - I babysat for a while, and the family basically adopted me. The weather here isn't great, it rains a lot in the fall/spring, is cold and gloomy in the winter and really hot in the summer. But everything here is very affordable, so that's a plus. I mean, at the local bar everyone goes to, Paninnis, you can buy a mixed drink for $2.75. Overall, I think it's a great place to go to law school - although I don't necessarily see myself living here when I graduate.


Yeah, I grew up here and go to Case for grad school currently, so I can speak to this as well. The cost of living is amazing. You really can't beat it. The location of Case is pretty sweet as well, you're amongst all the culture and right at the edge of the city. Case also gets you into all of the good museums for free, which is a huge plus IMO. And the friendliness of the midwest can't be beat. That being said, there is a nightlife, but it's easy to get sick of going to the same places. As for clubs, they're there, you just have to find them. My bf is a dj, so I've been all over CLE with him and his friends, but it's scattered across the city. You're not going to find big clubs here, it's mostly smaller, underground places, but I have an awesome time when I go. And I've only had to pay a cover once, usually it's when they bring people in from out of town. And you can't beat the cheapness of the drinks either. Great Lakes makes some of the best beer I've ever had, and most places charge $4 for a bottle.


Great Lakes Brewery products are pretty sweet. I still am partisan for good ol' Sierra Nevada brewery.

SplitLife
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Postby SplitLife » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 am

Hey there! I finally got my increased scholarship offer from Case and put down my seat deposit today.
I'll be moving from CA so I have lots of questions, primarily about the living situation.
The law school website says I can get a 1 bedroom for around $700/mo. I did a search through the schools off-campus listing and found a bunch of apartments available near the school.
I was a bit surprised to see that within a 5 mile radius the prices don't really decline as you move farther away from the law school...which is something I'm used to from undergrad in CA.

Can anyone recommend good places to live around campus? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom with garage parking and a laundry room between $500-650?...furnished would be nice but isn't necessary. Also, I dont want to commute more than 5ish miles.

Thanks!

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Postby neeko » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:31 am

SplitLife wrote:Hey there! I finally got my increased scholarship offer from Case and put down my seat deposit today.
I'll be moving from CA so I have lots of questions, primarily about the living situation.
The law school website says I can get a 1 bedroom for around $700/mo. I did a search through the schools off-campus listing and found a bunch of apartments available near the school.
I was a bit surprised to see that within a 5 mile radius the prices don't really decline as you move farther away from the law school...which is something I'm used to from undergrad in CA.

Can anyone recommend good places to live around campus? I'm looking for a 1 bedroom with garage parking and a laundry room between $500-650?...furnished would be nice but isn't necessary. Also, I dont want to commute more than 5ish miles.

Thanks!


You're probably going to need to find a 3rd floor of a house to be in that price range and with a garage. Craigslist is really the best place to look. I got my place last week and I saw a couple 3rd floor units on there (I looked only in Coventry and Cedar Fairmount). The garage might be the hardest part to find but most of those houses at least include on site parking.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests