Case Western Reserve University Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ohiobumpkin

Re: Case Western Reserve University Law School

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm a native Clevelander, and my mother works at the law school. I think that Cleveland honestly is one of the most misrepresented cities in the U.S. The only truly "bad" parts of Cleveland are some parts of it's metro and East Cleveland area, otherwise the city as a whole is actually quite safe. Living expenses are low, as many people have already stated, and the whole CWR and University Hospital area is a really happening place. In order to get to some really cool bars, pubs, and night clubs you'll have to drive between 3-7 minutes depending on where you want to go. You'll be within walking distance of one of the best symphonies in the world, within walking distances of one of the best free public art museums in the country, and within walking distance from a beautiful garden. Public transportation in Cleveland is also pretty damn good, although no Chicago or New York of course. My biggest complaint of Cleveland is it's weather (rain/overcast/snow), but that is not to say we don't know what the sun is. I would say anybody who wants to consider law school in OH should definitely take a look at CWR, and especially those interested in Health Law.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I'm a native Clevelander, and my mother works at the law school. I think that Cleveland honestly is one of the most misrepresented cities in the U.S. The only truly "bad" parts of Cleveland are some parts of it's metro and East Cleveland area, otherwise the city as a whole is actually quite safe. Living expenses are low, as many people have already stated, and the whole CWR and University Hospital area is a really happening place. In order to get to some really cool bars, pubs, and night clubs you'll have to drive between 3-7 minutes depending on where you want to go. You'll be within walking distance of one of the best symphonies in the world, within walking distances of one of the best free public art museums in the country, and within walking distance from a beautiful garden. Public transportation in Cleveland is also pretty damn good, although no Chicago or New York of course. My biggest complaint of Cleveland is it's weather (rain/overcast/snow), but that is not to say we don't know what the sun is. I would say anybody who wants to consider law school in OH should definitely take a look at CWR, and especially those interested in Health Law.

HeavenWood wrote:If you're familiar with the "gateway to the Midwest," Cleveland's basically a larger, shittier version of Pittsburgh... on a lake. It's not completely dead (IE, like Buffalo), but it's dead enough.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:25 pm

What personal experience you basing your statements on Heavenwood? You seem to be invested in dumping on the Cleve. lol

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:What personal experience you basing your statements on Heavenwood? You seem to be invested in dumping on the Cleve. lol

I went to Pitt and visited Cleveland a few times. Greater Pittsburgh/Cleveland are almost identical on paper, but Pittsburgh's wealth/economy is more concentrated in the city/inner suburbs, whereas Cleveland's is more generally spread across the region. A lot more of Cleveland proper is depressed as a result, whereas most of Pittsburgh's remaining blight is in the smaller nearby industrial towns (Duquesne, Braddock, Clairton, McKeesport, etc). You guys do have an amazing symphony, and I will admit that while UPMC is really damn good, the Cleveland Clinic is even better. In most aspects though, Pittsburgh is the current winner. Cleveland is starting to close the gap though, and overall, both cities are definitely heading in the right direction.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I can mostly agree I guess. I have only been to Pittsburgh once, so I can't as easily compare and contrast. I will say I hate your streets. So few lanes for so many people. Cleveland is definitely moving in the right direction, but at a snails pace. Oh well, you can't have it all I guess.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for taking questions. I have a couple:

Is there a noticeable LGBT community either on campus or in the area? How about gay bars?

How is the bar scene in general - - would you describe the bars as "bro" bars, dive bars, or a good mixture of both?

I would love to be a prosecutor in the future. Is Case Western a good fit for this?

Finally, how is the job market? What markets does Case Western feed into? Also, are most 1Ls able to secure internships easily?

I just started considering Case Western and still don't know much about it. Any other useful/helpful info that would sway me either way would also be helpful! Thanks :P

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:36 pm

llachans wrote:Hey guys! Thanks for taking questions. I have a couple:

Is there a noticeable LGBT community either on campus or in the area? How about gay bars?

How is the bar scene in general - - would you describe the bars as "bro" bars, dive bars, or a good mixture of both?

I would love to be a prosecutor in the future. Is Case Western a good fit for this?

Finally, how is the job market? What markets does Case Western feed into? Also, are most 1Ls able to secure internships easily?

I just started considering Case Western and still don't know much about it. Any other useful/helpful info that would sway me either way would also be helpful! Thanks :P

I don't know about the LGBT at Case, but Cleveland is a pretty liberal place, and so you'll probably be able to find a reasonably sizable LGBT community here. I would look especially at the Cleveland Heights and Tremont areas for a significant LGBT community. Idk anything about gay bars. In terms of general bars, there are a mix of bars wherever you go, but I would say most of the bars are more classy and mature than "bro" bars. There are of course some dive bars, but bars in the area surrounding CWR tends to be a bit more sophisticated, or at least not "bro" in nature. As for CWR's criminal law or prosecution type stuff, probably as good as any other law school of it's rank. I heard University of Cincinnati has a very good prosecutor tract program, but I might be mistaken. Job market for lawyers is reasonable in Cleveland, and a bit better in the Columbus and Cincinnati areas, but it depends on what kind of law you go for of course. Labor law and health law will get you a job in Cleveland most likely. As for internships, Case is probably just as endowed with an ability to link up it's students with internships on par with other law schools around its ranking. Case did recently appointed the first Dean of Experiential Learning in the country (out of all law schools). So the school is definitely going in a direction that is increasingly emphasizing hands on work experience while your going through your legal education.

Hope this helps

89vision

Postby 89vision » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:41 pm

"Is there a noticeable LGBT community either on campus or in the area? How about gay bars? "

The school just opened an LGBT center. There are gay bars around (I think it's called Bounce?).

"There is stuff to do in Cleveland (besides dodging violence) just like any other city. "

It's not bad around campus. Little Italy and the Heights are safe, the areas behind the football stadium are a bit questionable.

How is job placement outside of Cleveland, PA specifically?

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:01 am

Edit: Too drunk...

Thirsty Thursday got the best of me...

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:32 am

llachans wrote:Hey guys! Thanks for taking questions. I have a couple:

I can speak to this a little. I'm currently in a Master's program at Case and applying to their law school, so I'm at least familiar with the area and the people. I think that Case has a good LGBT presence. I'm in social work, so we're pretty involved in it, but so far it seems to be more of an accepting campus than my undergraduate school on the east coast...I know that they do offer many resources and are constantly working to provide more. I believe that there is an LGBT law group at the school as well. In terms of the Cleveland LGBT community, that is growing as well. There is a large concentration in Lakewood, which is on the west side. I'm not sure if many law students live out there, since it's about 20 minutes from campus, but about half of my classmates do, so it's still a young, student-oriented crowd. Even if you don't live there it's fun to go out there from time to time.

The bar scene in general is fairly diverse. There are definitely your "bro" bars, which I avoid at all costs, it's Cleveland, so plenty of dive bars, and then nice, neighborhood bars. I love the bar scene in Cleveland. It's incredibly friendly and there really is something for everyone. It's also really inexpensive. There are many places where you can go in with a 20 and come out drunk with change in your pocket.

As for being a prosecutor, I'm not sure how Case's employment rate is at the moment (hopefully good since I'm applying there as well), but I can say from personal experience working with prosecutors in Cleveland that many of them are Case graduates and had great things to say about the program.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 pm

I really like the law Prof's that I know at Case. I know Case used to be in the top 50, and then took a huge dive when in 2008/2009. Any hope of recovering a bit in the rankings?

How does Case place in Pittsburgh?

Is there a focus on public interest?

Is Case the preferred Cleveland law school?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:27 pm

89vision wrote:I really like the law Prof's that I know at Case. I know Case used to be in the top 50, and then took a huge dive when in 2008/2009. Any hope of recovering a bit in the rankings?

If you want to work in Pittsburgh, you're much better off going to Pitt.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 am

HeavenWood wrote:
89vision wrote:I really like the law Prof's that I know at Case. I know Case used to be in the top 50, and then took a huge dive when in 2008/2009. Any hope of recovering a bit in the rankings?

If you want to work in Pittsburgh, you're much better off going to Pitt.

I know that, but I want to apply to some other schools in case I don't get in (I'm at/slightly above Pitt's medians, but I had a C&F addendum). Case gives good scholarships, and they really like Case undergrads, from what I hear they are also trying to recruit more undergrads from Case. It doesn't seem wise for me to only apply to Pitt. That's why I'm looking at law school close to Pittsburgh as well.

My question is how does it place in Pittsburgh, not what school places best in Pittsburgh, and I'm still curious. My pre law adviser said they're close enough to have some placement options, but I'd like to hear about placement from some current students. Thanks in advance.

SaltTheLand

Postby SaltTheLand » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:03 am

As far as Cleveland night life goes, its nothing to brag about, probably comparable to a lot of other midsized cities in that part of the country, such as Pittsburgh. But as you probably know from college, any large group of 20-somethings will find plenty of places to drink and have fun. There are certainly some hip restaurant/bar areas of the city, like East 4th Street or Tremont. If you ever wish to indulge in the insanity that is OSU, Columbus is less than 2 hours away.

I grew up around Cleveland and took the LSAT at Case. The campus is in a great part of the city, right next to a beautiful park, the art museum, and some historic neighborhoods.

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 am

SaltTheLand wrote:As far as Cleveland night life goes, its nothing to brag about, probably comparable to a lot of other midsized cities in that part of the country, such as Pittsburgh. But as you probably know from college, any large group of 20-somethings will find plenty of places to drink and have fun. There are certainly some hip restaurant/bar areas of the city, like East 4th Street or Tremont. If you ever wish to indulge in the insanity that is OSU, Columbus is less than 2 hours away.

I grew up around Cleveland and took the LSAT at Case. The campus is in a great part of the city, right next to a beautiful park, the art museum, and some historic neighborhoods.

And Case students get free access to a lot of great museums!

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 am

I can answer your first and last question. ATM, the new law school president is working hard to recruit the best and brightest that apply. I have heard from a source that he calls applicants directly on occasion if an applicant with strong numbers opts to go elsewhere. If you have good numbers they'll most likely give you almost a free ride (if not full ride). They'll probably be able to pull themselves up in the rankings in the near future (a few years granted), because the whole school has started to reverse certain counter-productive policies of past administrations, and they are devoting a lot of energy toward recruitment.

Case is definitely the preferred law school in Cleveland. The only other law school in Cleveland to the best of my knowledge is Cleveland State University, which is tier 3. Also, Case I believe is second in all of Ohio (OSU being the obvious top ranked), so it holds a decent amount of weight around the whole state.

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:09 pm

What counter productive policies are they reversing?

JK910

Postby JK910 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:34 pm

I don't need the law school president to call me. An email from an admissions person with an update on the "interview" process would be great. I'm definitely not thrilled with the lack of communication coming out of Case, especially when they think it's cool to send me mass emails every day asking me to apply. It all just looks very disorganized and almost amateur-ish.

Ohiobumpkin wrote:

I can answer your first and last question. ATM, the new law school president is working hard to recruit the best and brightest that apply. I have heard from a source that he calls applicants directly on occasion if an applicant with strong numbers opts to go elsewhere. If you have good numbers they'll most likely give you almost a free ride (if not full ride). They'll probably be able to pull themselves up in the rankings in the near future (a few years granted), because the whole school has started to reverse certain counter-productive policies of past administrations, and they are devoting a lot of energy toward recruitment.

Case is definitely the preferred law school in Cleveland. The only other law school in Cleveland to the best of my knowledge is Cleveland State University, which is tier 3. Also, Case I believe is second in all of Ohio (OSU being the obvious top ranked), so it holds a decent amount of weight around the whole state.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 pm

neeko wrote:What counter productive policies are they reversing?

Past administrations essentially started letting anyone and everyone who applied be admitted. They have started putting more scrutiny into their evaluation of applicants.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Past administrations essentially started letting anyone and everyone who applied be admitted. They have started putting more scrutiny into their evaluation of applicants.

Like numbers wise, or paying a ton of attention to other parts of the app?

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 pm

neeko wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:

Like numbers wise, or paying a ton of attention to other parts of the app?

Numbers. That is really the only way they'll up their rankings.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Hey... procrastinating 2L here, who also went to Case undergrad. This pretty much makes me an expert on all things Case and Cleveland, so ask away.

JK910

Postby JK910 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:29 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Hey... procrastinating 2L here, who also went to Case undergrad. This pretty much makes me an expert on all things Case and Cleveland, so ask away.

When you have questions or concerns, do the various offices at Case Law actually return your phone calls or emails? It seems like they are largely ignoring most people in the admissions process which is quite scary. This "interview" process has been an abomination.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:11 pm

JK910 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Hey... procrastinating 2L here, who also went to Case undergrad. This pretty much makes me an expert on all things Case and Cleveland, so ask away.

When you have questions or concerns, do the various offices at Case Law actually return your phone calls or emails? It seems like they are largely ignoring most people in the admissions process which is quite scary. This "interview" process has been an abomination.

Yeah, I've never really had issues. There are one or two people at the school who take a while to get back to you but most people respond to an e-mail that day. I did have a problem getting a-hold of the admissions dean while I was going through the process though. Then I called the office, and I got a response within a few hours. Did you try that?

sumtimesuwonder

Postby sumtimesuwonder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 am

Do you enjoy living in Cleveland?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”