Yale 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ioannis

Re: Yale 1L Taking Questions

Postby Ioannis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 pm

JLin179 wrote:
Ioannis wrote:sex is pretty awesome, i'm not sure why you feel all high and mighty and worthy of condemning people for just having sex. It's pretty natural.
sorry for derailing, I just hate that mentality.

Let me begin by noting your clearly invalid move from the supposed naturalness of sex-having to its moral acceptability. Murder, rape, gambling, and rap music may very well be natural to the human condition, but obviously no rational person would conclude that they are therefore morally appropriate.

Beyond your logical failing, though, is your factual error in supposing that everyone who condemns sex-having deems himself to be "high and mighty." I am no saint. There are times when I am more Dionysius than Apollo--days when my appetite gets the better of my intellect. You presumably don't deem yourself "high and mighty" when you deign to condemn murders and thieves, do you?

Sex is an agreement between two (or maybe more) people to do something that does no harm. I'm talking about consensual sex. You can not lump that with murder and rape.
You assumed a position of the high and mighty when you condemned something that does not violate the (positive version) golden rule of morals, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself".
You could argue that sex leads to std spread/unwanted reproduction, but we have means to test/prevent those ends.
Looks like there's nothing immoral about (protected or planned unprotected) consensual sex.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Ioannis wrote:
JLin179 wrote:
Ioannis wrote:sex is pretty awesome, i'm not sure why you feel all high and mighty and worthy of condemning people for just having sex. It's pretty natural.

Let me begin by noting your clearly invalid move from the supposed naturalness of sex-having to its moral acceptability. Murder, rape, gambling, and rap music may very well be natural to the human condition, but obviously no rational person would conclude that they are therefore morally appropriate.

Beyond your logical failing, though, is your factual error in supposing that everyone who condemns sex-having deems himself to be "high and mighty." I am no saint. There are times when I am more Dionysius than Apollo--days when my appetite gets the better of my intellect. You presumably don't deem yourself "high and mighty" when you deign to condemn murders and thieves, do you?

Sex is an agreement between two people to do something that does no harm. I'm talking about consensual sex. You can not lump that with murder and rape.
You assumed a position of the high and mighty when you condemned something that does not violate the (positive version) golden rule of morals, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself".
You could argue that sex leads to std spread/unwanted reproduction, but we have means to test/prevent those ends.
Looks like there's nothing immoral about (protected or planned unprotected) consensual sex.

Sir,

You seem to misunderstand my point. Your moral defense of sex-havers relied on the "naturalness" of their conduct. This reason is clearly insufficient to support your conclusion because there is no necessary connection between naturalness and moral acceptability. There are activities (killing people, wearing suggestive clothing, cohabitation) that fall within the set of things we may deem "natural" that we obviously would not want to place within the set of things bearing the label "morally appropriate."

I am not clear on why you think the Golden Rule vindicates the appropriateness of sex-having. I don't want to sex-have with others, so I won't have them sex-have with me. If all moral condemnation necessarily fails according to the Golden Rule, then it seems to be a self-defeating standard. If your argument is that condemning things that aren't morally wrong violates the Golden Rule, then I'm with you. But then you beg the question by assuming that sex-having isn't morally wrong.

I would supply you with a prestigious argument for why sex-having--pre-marital, marital, extra-marital--is always and everywhere morally wrong. But it would involve such complex and sophisticated logical moves and complicated words that it would simply be bound to confuse and frustrate.

xkcd09

Postby xkcd09 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 pm

How do students usually pick classes? Is there a tool where you can see past course evaluations on the difficulty/lecture quality/etc. of classes and professors?

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 pm

xkcd09 wrote:How do students usually pick classes? Is there a tool where you can see past course evaluations on the difficulty/lecture quality/etc. of classes and professors?

There's an online registration system that favors 3Ls over 2Ls and 2Ls over 1Ls for classes you need to bid on. Generally most black-letter law classes are open enrollment and the smaller seminars and clinics are the ones you bid on. There are course evaluations online with numerical rankings for different categories like reading load, professor quality, usefulness of class time, etc. You can really find out a lot about specific professors through word of mouth, though.

PKozi

Postby PKozi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 am

JLin179 wrote:Sir,

You seem to misunderstand my point. Your moral defense of sex-havers relied on the "naturalness" of their conduct. This reason is clearly insufficient to support your conclusion because there is no necessary connection between naturalness and moral acceptability. There are activities (killing people, wearing suggestive clothing, cohabitation) that fall within the set of things we may deem "natural" that we obviously would not want to place within the set of things bearing the label "morally appropriate."

I am not clear on why you think the Golden Rule vindicates the appropriateness of sex-having. I don't want to sex-have with others, so I won't have them sex-have with me. If all moral condemnation necessarily fails according to the Golden Rule, then it seems to be a self-defeating standard. If your argument is that condemning things that aren't morally wrong violates the Golden Rule, then I'm with you. But then you beg the question by assuming that sex-having isn't morally wrong.

I would supply you with a prestigious argument for why sex-having--pre-marital, marital, extra-marital--is always and everywhere morally wrong. But it would involve such complex and sophisticated logical moves and complicated words that it would simply be bound to confuse and frustrate.

0Ls rejoice, insufferable pricks await!

arewehavingfunyet

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 am

I, for one, hope this is all one elaborate joke.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 am

Elston Gunn wrote:I am so confused by this thread...

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 am

PKozi wrote:

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself kiddo. I wasn't aware that thoroughly dominating arguments dealing with complex problems of law and morality made one an "insufferable prick." If you have the intellectual firepower to parry my thrust, hop on in. The water's plenty warm.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 am

God, this thread is so fucking disappoint.

tgir

Postby tgir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 am

JLin179 wrote:
PKozi wrote:

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself kiddo. I wasn't aware that thoroughly dominating arguments dealing with complex problems of law and morality made one an "insufferable prick." If you have the intellectual firepower to parry my thrust, hop on in. The water's plenty warm.

Another 1L here.

JLin is obviously entitled to his/her opinion.

That said, for prospective YLS 0L's who are turned off by JLin's comments, worry not; people like JLin are a tiny (if not altogether invisible) minority at YLS. I'm also not entirely convinced that this whole thing isn't a hoax....
Last edited by tgir on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 am

BEAST_mode wrote:God, this thread is so fucking disappoint.

Actually, it has exceeded expectations.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:09 am

Need to get me some sweet sex-having.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:11 am

Retake; ED Regent.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 am

NOVA!

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:03 am

tgir wrote:
JLin179 wrote:
PKozi wrote:

Another 1L here.

JLin is obviously entitled to his/her opinion.

That said, for prospective YLS 0L's who are turned off by JLin's comments, worry not; people like JLin are a tiny (if not altogether invisible) minority at YLS. I'm also not entirely convinced that this whole thing isn't a hoax....

Conversely, if you are turned on by my comments, don't think that YLS is as inhospitable as you might think. I plan on trying to develop a "Contraception Access" Clinic that will work towards the re-criminalization of birth control. After all, if you don't dream big, what's the use of dreaming? We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 am

While I am still holding out hope for a Yale acceptance, I must say that my exposure to Yale's representation on the internet (the vapid students on this board, the grossly off-putting admissions staff) makes me believe that New Haven produces simply awful people.

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:39 am

JLin179 wrote:
PKozi wrote:

JLIN, is this whole thing your skit for the Yale law revue. You sound like a comedian.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 am

tronredo wrote:
JLin179 wrote:
PKozi wrote:

JLIN, is this whole thing your skit for the Yale law revue. You sound like a comedian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 am

I'm still pretty sure this thread is a joke. I can't believe anyone at Yale would be like this :shock:

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:22 am

JLin179 wrote:
Ioannis wrote:
JLin179 wrote:

Sex is an agreement between two people to do something that does no harm. I'm talking about consensual sex. You can not lump that with murder and rape.

Sir,

I would love to hear this argument. I am actually enjoying this thread.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm

freestallion wrote:I'm still pretty sure this thread is a joke. I can't believe anyone at Yale would be like this :shock:

Surely no one able to develop such powerful and cogent analyses of the pressing legal problems of our day would attend the Yale Law School :roll:

BELIEVE, stallion. Believe.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Davidbentley wrote:New Haven produces simply awful people.

Sir,

You misspelled "awesome." Hope you proofread your 250 more than your poasts.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Wondering when mods will lay down the ban hammer ITT, or even lock it, considering this is supposed to be an on-topic school-specific thread.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:34 pm

JLin179 wrote:
freestallion wrote:I'm still pretty sure this thread is a joke. I can't believe anyone at Yale would be like this :shock:

Surely no one able to develop such powerful and cogent analyses of the pressing legal problems of our day would attend the Yale Law School :roll:

BELIEVE, stallion. Believe.

I think people are slightly skeptical of someone who is against sex-having.

But your opposition to blowjobs pretty much crosses the line. Don't people get banned for that?

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Guchster wrote:Wondering when mods will lay down the ban hammer ITT, or even lock it, considering this is supposed to be an on-topic school-specific thread.

Sir,

You make an excellent argument. It's unfortunate that my compelling moral views have distracted the board from the raison d'etre of this thread.

That said, does anybody have any other questions on the mysterious the Yale Law School?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”