Yale 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seattleite23

Re: Yale 1L Taking Questions

Postby seattleite23 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 am

Was Yale always your first choice, or did it come down to a difficult decision for you? What other schools did you consider, and why did you end up with Yale?

Thank you for taking questions!

PKozi

Postby PKozi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 am

Do you have any classmates you know of who are looking to go into public interest legislative lobbying type stuff? Any particular strengths/weaknesses you see for Yale with this? (especially as compared to Harvard)

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Do you remember when you received your financial aid decision? Does everyone find out at the same time, or does it depend on when you send in the forms? I have yet to send my forms and I'm a bit anxious I won't get a decision until after the deposit deadline at other schools.

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 pm

JLin179 wrote:I'm a simple kid with strong values from the Midwest and am ashamed at the level of premarital sex that is taking place here.

Just curious....is all of that premarital sex taking place exclusively at YLS, or within the larger Yale community? Do Yale Law Students hook up/interact with the Yale college students or perhaps other grad schools?

Thanks for taking time to quench our curiosity!

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Question to OP:

Do you if any of your classmates had been rejected the first time applied, but got in the second (or third) time?

If so, do you know what they did to increase their odds (i.e. retake the LSAT, more work experience, etc)?
Or someone who didn't do much yet still got in the second time?

I have yet to hear back from Yale, but I'm preparing to re-take the June LSAT, etc, to have another shot in case I get rejected.
Thanks!

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am

1) Yale was always my first choice. Money didn't factor much into my decision. The prestige at Yale was too much to walk away from.

2) Yale is littered with people who want go to DC and do public interest/legislative work. I know we have a legislative advocacy clinic and people who wanted to work in the Senate this summer all found jobs here.

3) I remember receiving financial aid award sometime in March before ASW. I don't think everyone finds out at the same time, though.

4) In terms of the sex, it's simply out of control. Law students and business students, law students and med students, and even law students and forestry school students. I should clarify lest the board think I'm some sort of prude: a very sizable portion of the sex that I have heard about has been, shall we say, "unnatural." The amount of non-vaginal intercourse had by folks of all persuasions here is truly astonishing. I recognize the pluralism of modern American society, but it is extremely inappropriate by any standard.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 am

JLin179 wrote:4) In terms of the sex, it's simply out of control. Law students and business students, law students and med students, and even law students and forestry school students. I should clarify lest the board think I'm some sort of prude: a very sizable portion of the sex that I have heard about has been, shall we say, "unnatural." The amount of non-vaginal intercourse had by folks of all persuasions here is truly astonishing. I recognize the pluralism of modern American society, but it is extremely inappropriate by any standard.

What about blowjobs?

Postby 062914123 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:15 am

JLin179 wrote:1) Yale was always my first choice. Money didn't factor much into my decision. The prestige at Yale was too much to walk away from.

2) Yale is littered with people who want go to DC and do public interest/legislative work. I know we have a legislative advocacy clinic and people who wanted to work in the Senate this summer all found jobs here.

3) I remember receiving financial aid award sometime in March before ASW. I don't think everyone finds out at the same time, though.

4) In terms of the sex, it's simply out of control. Law students and business students, law students and med students, and even law students and forestry school students. I should clarify lest the board think I'm some sort of prude: a very sizable portion of the sex that I have heard about has been, shall we say, "unnatural." The amount of non-vaginal intercourse had by folks of all persuasions here is truly astonishing. I recognize the pluralism of modern American society, but it is extremely inappropriate by any standard.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 am

JLin179 wrote:1) What do you do for fun in New Haven? Normal stuff. This city is not as much of a dump as people think

arewehavingfunyet

Postby arewehavingfunyet » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

Do you know anything about the deferral process? How does one get a deferral? Is it hard? What kind of reasons do you need?

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:00 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:Do you know anything about the deferral process? How does one get a deferral? Is it hard? What kind of reasons do you need?

I don't think its very hard to get a deferral if you have some plan for the year off that you can articulate for the school. I'd also highly recommend deferring for a year. The people who deferred are generally the least licentious. I think a year off can tame the loins and calm the passions.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 pm

JLin179 wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:Do you know anything about the deferral process? How does one get a deferral? Is it hard? What kind of reasons do you need?

I don't think its very hard to get a deferral if you have some plan for the year off that you can articulate for the school. I'd also highly recommend deferring for a year. The people who deferred are generally the least licentious. I think a year off can tame the loins and calm the passions.

You're actually too funny for me to hit the little red ! :D

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:42 pm

bee wrote:
JLin179 wrote:

You're actually too funny for me to hit the little red ! :D

Not sure what you mean, but keep the question coming.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm

JLin179 wrote:Not sure what you mean, but keep the question coming.

You ignored my question but whatever.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:10 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:

I have personal knowledge about 11. PM me for details.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 pm

JLin179 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:

I have personal knowledge about 11. PM me for details.

It's not funny if you're a troll, and straight up creepy if you're not.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 pm

I am so confused by this thread...

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 pm

I go to YLS as well and I'm even confused by this thread. I'll jump in on a couple questions as well if anyone has them.

My background: large state school, median LSAT, upper-75th GPA, want to do firm work (fairly rare as far as YLS goes).
Overall impressions: YLS is everything you make of it. It is the most liberating school around, which has it's positives and negatives. You can do anything you want here and be given all the resources to do it. This, however, forces you really quickly to start considering what exactly it is you want to do.

New Haven--I was prepared for the worst. I've actually be really, really surprised. Lots of amazing places to eat. Discovering new places to go out every day. I am a bit jealous of Harvard Square and Cambridge I will admit, but I would never, never, never trade the stress-free environment I have here for the vibes I get at Harvard. There is just something to this place that makes it incredibly laid back.

I'll try to check back once a day for any ?s and would also be happy to met with anyone during ASW.

iamthe99thpercentile

Postby iamthe99thpercentile » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:08 am

abitaman6363 wrote:I go to YLS as well and I'm even confused by this thread.

Overall impressions: YLS is everything you make of it. It is the most liberating school around, which has it's positives and negatives.

I call bullshit. No way does an actual student at tYLS make such a TTT grammar mistake.

Q for the OP: softs???

myselfersonEsq

Postby myselfersonEsq » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 am

Is Yale really as awful as everyone says? They say no one wants to apply there at all, and then when you get there, everyone tries to leave or kill themselves, no matter how many times Claire Danes and Tom Hanks show up on campus. Apparently they are bribing people to visit with an ugly dog?

Does that work?

What do you like about law school. Are you rich yet?

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 am

JLin179 wrote:1) Yale was always my first choice. Money didn't factor much into my decision. The prestige at Yale was too much to walk away from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO ... =fvwp&NR=1

Ioannis

Postby Ioannis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:26 pm

sex is pretty awesome, i'm not sure why you feel all high and mighty and worthy of condemning people for just having sex. It's pretty natural.
sorry for derailing, I just hate that mentality.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 pm

iamthe99thpercentile wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:I go to YLS as well and I'm even confused by this thread.

Overall impressions: YLS is everything you make of it. It is the most liberating school around, which has it's positives and negatives.

I call bullshit. No way does an actual student at tYLS make such a TTT grammar mistake.

Q for the OP: softs???

Don't want to get too specific, but I didn't have especially great softs. A few minor leadership positions and decent, but not great internships. I wouldn't let the class profile intimidate you out of applying if you have good numbers and can write a compelling PS and 250.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO ... =fvwp&NR=1

To my knowledge there has been no cocaine use among the 1L class. Though nothing would shock me at this point.

JLin179

Postby JLin179 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Ioannis wrote:sex is pretty awesome, i'm not sure why you feel all high and mighty and worthy of condemning people for just having sex. It's pretty natural.
sorry for derailing, I just hate that mentality.

Let me begin by noting your clearly invalid move from the supposed naturalness of sex-having to its moral acceptability. Murder, rape, gambling, and rap music may very well be natural to the human condition, but obviously no rational person would conclude that they are therefore morally appropriate.

Beyond your logical failing, though, is your factual error in supposing that everyone who condemns sex-having deems himself to be "high and mighty." I am no saint. There are times when I am more Dionysius than Apollo--days when my appetite gets the better of my intellect. You presumably don't deem yourself "high and mighty" when you deign to condemn murders and thieves, do you?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”