Law Firm Internship Before Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AntipodeanPhil

Law Firm Internship Before Law School

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 pm

From now until I start law school in the fall, I'll be working part-time.

I've been wondering about emailing/visiting law firms to ask if any of them would take me on as an unpaid intern between now and the fall (part-time, in addition to my part-time paid position).

My questions for current law students / graduates: assuming I can find a firm or lawyer to take me, would this help me at all when applying for big-law jobs? Would it look better than only being employed part-time between now and then? If so: significantly better, or only a very little better?
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

shoeshine

Re: Law Firm Internship Before Law School

Postby shoeshine » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 pm

This honestly will not help or hurt you. Do what you want to do because once you go to law school you will no longer have a choice.

Hippononymous

Postby Hippononymous » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Unless you're going to be living near the market you want to Big Law in, I can't imagine this being much of a boost to you, if at all. The things you would be able to do as an unpaid intern at a small firm don't really translate to big law work. You're probably better off relaxing, reading a bit, and getting ready for school.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for the fast replies!

So, it wouldn't help in itself, but would it mitigate the stigma of part-time employment? I've been working part-time for a few months now, although I worked full-time for a couple of years before that.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 pm

I agree that it won't help with hiring, but it might give you a little insight into a career in law. I'm all for taking it easy pre-law school, but from now til September is a long time to be working part time. I think you might as well try this. I will say, though, that you may not have much success, because for-profit firms really aren't supposed to be hiring unpaid interns under most circumstances, and particularly not non-students. (And the places that are willing to do it are likely to skew towards the shadier end of the spectrum.)

ETA: I want to clarify, I wouldn't be worried about the "stigma" of working part-time if I were you. I don't think anyone will really care when it comes to BigLaw hiring. I just feel like if I were in your shoes, I might be feeling a little stir crazy without more to do.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:01 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:ETA: I want to clarify, I wouldn't be worried about the "stigma" of working part-time if I were you. I don't think anyone will really care when it comes to BigLaw hiring. I just feel like if I were in your shoes, I might be feeling a little stir crazy without more to do.

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice.

And, lol - 'stir crazy' describes my situation exactly. I'm taking a Spanish class, reading books on economics, and I still feel like I have far too much free time.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:02 am

There is not stigma with part-time employment. It won't help unless you plan on returning to that market for work.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”