Law school in a state in which you dont want to practice

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PARTY

Re: Law school in a state in which you dont want to practice

Postby PARTY » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:23 pm

rad lulz wrote:
siouxfan45 wrote:Recruiters love this kind of passion. :wink:

Telling a recruiter you have a "passion for the law" is a good way to get autodinged.

no way!!!11111!! but wut if you jus have teh passion??1/?!?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Only if you're going to school in MA"Boston, actually Cambridge" or CT"New Haven" or "Palo Alto".

FTFY

(Of course there are others, but NYC and Chicago, for example, both cover law schools you def. wouldn't want to attend).

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

siouxfan45 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
siouxfan45 wrote:Do you plan to go into business for yourself or work for a firm? An entrepreneurial spirit can make the sky the limit.

Uhh... wut

In terms of potential income, a person who is a great entrepreneur can make their law degree pay top dollar regardless of the law school they attended. (Assuming it's accredited.)

STFU emorystud

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Telling a recruiter you have a "passion for the law" is a good way to get autodinged.

One time I asked a partner if he liked his job. He stared at me for a solid 10 seconds then walked away.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:46 pm

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

One time I asked a partner if he liked his job. He stared at me for a solid 10 seconds then walked away.

Related: when someone talks about the "life of the law," I want to throttle them.

I've never even heard that? What does it mean?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:
IAFG wrote:I've never even heard that? What does it mean?

Basically think about the idealized image society has of lawyers standing up for "justice" or "society" or whatever, and you've got it.

Making deals, using the law to get your way, lining your own pockets with gold, using language to cover your ass and make money. This is what it seems being a lawyer is about, and to be honest it sounds a hell of a lot better than seeking 'justice' or making society a 'better' place.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Basically think about the idealized image society has of lawyers standing up for "justice" or "society" or whatever, and you've got it.

Making deals, using the law to get your way, lining your own pockets with gold, using language to cover your ass and make money. This is what it seems being a lawyer is about, and to be honest it sounds a hell of a lot better than seeking 'justice' or making society a 'better' place.

That also sounds like a pretty inaccurate and idealized version of what law is.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Making deals, using the law to get your way, lining your own pockets with gold, using language to cover your ass and make money.

If this is what being a lawyer is all about, then I'd say I have a burning passion for the law. :lol:

No but seriously, if you haven't practiced law or at least been to law school, you can't really claim to have a passion for it. Taking a 300 level undergrad course in philosophy of law isn't really a good glimpse into what your average corporate lawyer is doing every day.

That's not to say that you won't enjoy it, or that you can't predict (to some degree) if you'll enjoy it or not. Maybe you enjoy writing and research, or maybe you enjoy the adversarial/problem-solving nature of some areas of law, and you think you'll enjoy it as a practitioner. But "passionate about the law?" What are you passionate about? It's just a silly thing to say. You aren't going to hear it come out of a practicing attorney's mouth, even from the one's who generally enjoy being a lawyer. And you can't possibly be "passionate about the law" as a 0L because you have know idea what "the law" and its practice is. Hell, I don't even really know and I'm a 2L.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:00 pm

siouxfan45 wrote:The TLS message board is in very serious need of an English tutor.

Is you saying we don't talk good?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 pm

siouxfan45 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:LOL @ people who haven't worked in law or gone to law school having a "passion for law." That's asinine.

Ha, I swear it... some people do. Where do you go? I'll remind myself not to apply, sounds miserable. Pullin' for ya buddy.

I doubt he even goes to law school. He just joined TLS 2 days ago so he is probably just another ignorant 0L. I would ignore his ill-informed advice.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:30 pm

I think that if OP is considering Samford, they should just go there. It's like one of the top 3 schools, northern california is really nice and there should be no problem getting Alabama biglaw, midlaw or solo-shingle law from there. (but probably learn how to pronounce it before enrolling)

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm

duramax threads are the tittiest. meet you at the supreme court brah.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”