Question about "ties"

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Question about "ties"

Postby 1492 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Hey all, long time lurker with a question; I'm currently in UG and am considering law school, and over the past summer I worked for a law firm in my home town (in Florida) doing small tasks around the office. I was offered the job by a friend's dad who is the head of a small ( <10 people) niche department in the firm (which has ~250 lawyers). I did well enough there that I was asked if I would like to come back over the next few summers. I was wondering if this is the sort of thing that translates into employment after getting a JD (yes, I understand that I am not in law school etc)

Thanks

handsonthewheel

Re: Question about "ties"

Postby handsonthewheel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:40 pm

How would we know?

Ask the people who would hire or not hire you.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Question about "ties"

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:44 pm

In addition to what the above poster said, it depends on (1) what law school you go to, (2) what your grades are at said law school, (3) if each office of the firm makes its own independent hires (instead of a firm wide committee), and (4) how much pull the father of your friend has at the firm/firm office.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”