Job prospects and transferring schools

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ampm

Job prospects and transferring schools

Postby ampm » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 am

Hello,

These may have been answered somewhere in the forum but I wasn't able to find the answers.

1. I recently read that one should go to law school where they choose to work. Considering that many people take the best law school they get into and this may not match where they want to work, how easy/hard is it to find work in an area of your own choosing?

2. Has anyone attempted transferring from an under T20 or under T14 school to a T20 or T14 school, respectively? How hard was the process and the competition?

josh43299

Re: Job prospects and transferring schools

Postby josh43299 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 am

ampm wrote:Hello,

These may have been answered somewhere in the forum but I wasn't able to find the answers.

1. I recently read that one should go to law school where they choose to work. Considering that many people take the best law school they get into and this may not match where they want to work, how easy/hard is it to find work in an area of your own choosing?

2. Has anyone attempted transferring from an under T20 or under T14 school to a T20 or T14 school, respectively? How hard was the process and the competition?

Search the forums. There is a lot of detailed stuff on here about both of these topics.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 am

josh43299 wrote:
ampm wrote:Hello,

Search the forums. There is a lot of detailed stuff on here about both of these topics.

Even an entire subforum for one of those.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Here's the boilerplate answer for transferring:

Plenty of people transfer up into T14 from lower-ranked schools every year. However, transferring upward is incredibly competitive, and requires excellent 1L grades to even be worth applying. In some cases, top 5-10% might be good enough; in others, you might need to be top 1% or better. It depends on the school you're transferring from and to, but in all cases a real move up requires really good grades.

You're asking a question that's useless to 0Ls, because answering requires knowing in advance what your grades will be. If your grades are top 1%, then transferring up will be relatively easy. If your grades are median or worse, then it will be impossible.

As a 0L, you cannot predict what your grades will be in advance. Any 0L who claims they can is either lying to others, or lying to themselves. Since there is no way to predict your grades going in, this means you should just look at it as raw odds, and realize there's about 90-99% odds of not having good enough grades. Thus, the standard advice to 0Ls is to not even think about transferring until they get their first-semester grades back.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”