Utah 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lalala21

Utah 1L taking questions

Postby lalala21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm

1L at the U. I took advantage of this kind of thread last year, so I thought I would give back :). Feel free to ask me anything about the U, law school in general, or living in Salt Lake.

joemoviebuff

Re: Utah 1L taking questions

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 pm

How do people feel about job prospects, are you from Utah, do you like the law school, what do you want to do upon graduation and what's your favorite movie?

lalala21

Postby lalala21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:How do people feel about job prospects, are you from Utah, do you like the law school, what do you want to do upon graduation and what's your favorite movie?

I am from the east coast, but moved here from Colorado where I did my undergrad. I think students here are appropriately concerned about getting a job.... Not many are truly freaking out (yet), but there are very few that are overly confident. It is no secret that the the legal market is tight, but it seems like it is slowly getting a bit better.

I think the U is a really great school. It is nice being at a smaller school where you know almost everyone in your class, and can get the personal help you need from profs/other staff when you need it. I think the professors here on the whole are really good, and it is not a very competitive school. Like many other T1 schools, everyone here is smart... so it is not easy to be a the very top of the class. However, I feel like I could ask any of the kids at the top of the class for help and they would probably spend hours helping me out if I needed it. There is a pretty strange dynamic sometimes between the younger and mostly out of state crowd, the mormons and the the older but not mormon crowd (at least in my class). However, everyone is pretty aware of the situation and so it doesn't ever get awkward. It seems like everyone who wants friends has friends.

After I graduate? -- Find a job, preferably one that I do not hate. I think I want to do family law (I love the crazy), but I honestly would be open to a lot of different things. I mostly want to work with people at a place that I like, and I am less worried about loving the kind of law I do right out of the gate.

Favorite movie - that is tough! These days I have returned to my old favorite of good will hunting.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm

How are the facilities? Rooms, heating/cooling, library, offices, etc.

lalala21

Postby lalala21 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 pm

coldshoulder wrote:How are the facilities? Rooms, heating/cooling, library, offices, etc.

Haha - Well, there is a reason there are not pictures of the building all over the website and such. We should be into the new building the year after I graduate I think, so the fall of 2014. (feel free to correct me here). However, I really don't mind the building, sure it is nothing to write home about but it works just fine. There is a reading room that tends to be for more casual studying and then the library. The U is a really small school (110 in our class I think), so there is aways a place to study. I really like going to the undergrad library which is huge and underutilized. Class rooms are nothing special but again there is usually plenty of room and the class rooms have all been updated as technology advances. First semester there seemed to be a heating/cooling issue, but it is not an issue this semester. I am sure the professors will be excited to get into the new building to get an office upgrade.... but they work just fine. Location wise the law school has the perfect location, just of the trax stop on the edge of campus and near the gym.

Is that the kind of answer you were looking for?

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Pretty much, thanks.

How were your first year classes/professors? Are the class sizes really as small as they advertise? Did you find anything offputting or out of the ordinary about the experience?

tieoneon

Postby tieoneon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 am

Is there a lot of students coming over from Westminster college? I was looking at finishing my BA there and trying to apply to U of U law, if the numbers match up (started at a CC). If so what's the general thought of the training and education they receive? Thanks for anything you can share

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:51 am

tieoneon wrote:Is there a lot of students coming over from Westminster college? I was looking at finishing my BA there and trying to apply to U of U law, if the numbers match up (started at a CC). If so what's the general thought of the training and education they receive? Thanks for anything you can share

Westminister's a great school. My sister goes there for nursing school and it's got a great reputation.

lalala21

Postby lalala21 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Pretty much, thanks.

How were your first year classes/professors? Are the class sizes really as small as they advertise? Did you find anything offputting or out of the ordinary about the experience?

I really liked all the professors I had first semester, I think they really make an effort to get the best professors (teaching wise) to teach first semester classes. Second semester does feel a bit different. As one might expect, they let you swim a little bit with professors with different teaching styles. Even though I miss my first semester classes, I know my professors this semester are very smart and nice. The class sizes are pretty small. First semester you have one 'small section' class that is about 18 ish students. Then you have a medium sized class of about maybe 35, and one large section of about 55 (half the incoming class). The legal writing class is also fairly small, maybe 22-25 students. Second semester you keep the same legal writing professor/class, and 2 of the substantive classes are about 30 with one large section class of about 55. So to answer your question, yes I think the class sizes are small and from what I under stand get slightly smaller second and third years. I think that small section classes are great, but I always learn just as much in my large section classes as well... because all the professors know who you are and make you feel like you can come to them any time with additional questions. All my professors are really great about getting back to you right away via email as well.
Since I am out of state, it was hard for me to adjust to the mormon/not mormon dynamic. I did not notice it as much when I visited the school, but it was crystal clear during the first few weeks ... this is not only really about the law school but about salt lake. Now that I have gotten used to it though it does not really bother me at all.

joemoviebuff wrote:
tieoneon wrote:Is there a lot of students coming over from Westminster college? I was looking at finishing my BA there and trying to apply to U of U law, if the numbers match up (started at a CC). If so what's the general thought of the training and education they receive? Thanks for anything you can share

Westminister's a great school. My sister goes there for nursing school and it's got a great reputation.

I know 2 students who came from Westminster, but I would guess there are more.... I think the general view is that is is a very good school, and at least is different than BYU and the U undergrad. I know there are a TON of BYU kids here... so I would assume it is fairly competitive for BYU kids to get in....

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:54 am

Are first year tests open or closed book?

B<PL

Postby B<PL » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Are first year tests open or closed book?

Hey, sorry I am butting in. I am also a 1L at Utah. This depends on the professor. I had one completely open book test, one open-book with a word limitation on the outline, and one class that allowed only one page of notes front and back. This semester I think only one class is open, and the rest are completely closed (i.e. not outline, no book, just brains).

I add my endorsement to the U. I am from Utah, and a Mormon, so perhaps that slants my judgment. I really like it here, I think everyone is super nice, very non-competetive, professors are great.

Job prospects are tough, but that goes for essentially everyone in the class, and essentially everyone nationwide.

Bathrooms are horrific. But the new school will get built supposedly in 2014.

asanborn

Postby asanborn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 am

Since Utah is right there at the top of my list I figured it would be a pretty good idea to get some insider information. I am currently living down in Provo (yes I go to TSDS) and my wife really wants to stay down in this area for at least a year. Just thinking about that daily commute makes me sick. Does anybody have any experiences with that commute during rush-hour with all of the construction going on? Also, do you think housing prices (just planning on renting) are significantly higher in Salt Lake County as opposed to Utah County?

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Question: Utah seems to place very few people into PI/Gov jobs. Do you think that's due to self-selection or are there just not opportunities in that sector?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 pm

what are plans after LS?

Specifically, do you plan to stay in region?

UtahPhi

Postby UtahPhi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 am

coldshoulder wrote:Question: Utah seems to place very few people into PI/Gov jobs. Do you think that's due to self-selection or are there just not opportunities in that sector?

There is definitely more of an emphasis on firm jobs. However, I would say that the government jobs in particular is more of a personal choice. There are definitely government jobs out there, but they are less publicized. Still very competitive though. Federal government in particular seems to be a touch shell to crack right out of law school, but there are several 3L's that I know of that are going the state government route, and that's a fairly small sample.

Forgot to add, I am a 1L as well.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”