How to not fail out of law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
booboo

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby booboo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:21 am

Learn to write. If you are able to accurately transcribe the BLL and policy a Professor imparts on to you (this is something that is difficult to objectively measure), you will likely succeed at some rate. Mastering the law and knowing (and thinking about) inane subtleties will not help you if the clarity and power of your argument is not objectively present. This is the one piece of advice I wish I had known before law school. LSAT and GPA are probably terrible indicators of this ability.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 am

Dream Machine wrote:when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head.

You would be very surprised at how many confirmed non-idiots this is true of.

Xvimic

Postby Xvimic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:01 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head.

You would be very surprised at how many confirmed non-idiots this is true of.

Name me a single person who wasn't doing logic games in their head as they slept while studying for the LSAT. All I saw for a month when I shut my eyes was A B C D E and F being arranged in various forms as different color/types of cars in a multi-layered parking garage or different sorts of pets in different cages that could variably not be placed next to one another.

That test can kiss my ass, I literally wouldn't take it again for $50,000. (At least not officially)

Previous1EL

Postby Previous1EL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't believe someone can improve their LSAT score very much by "studying" for it. Its a test of native abilities.

My advice is to take a LSAT prep course, if you can find one in your area. I think you are SMART to consider the possibility of failing out, and take steps to prevent that from happening.

I failed out of my first year of law school years ago (it was NOT a lower-tier school, either by the way). It CAN happen. In my case, I had some serious personal problems my first semester. I brought my grades up the next semester, but not quite enough to get a 2.0. They made me leave, and would not let me back in, even several years later. I also could not get accepted at ANY other law schools later on, and even had problems applying to other graduate school programs, even 20 years later. I wanted to go into a Deaf education Master's degree program (I now have a child with hearing loss), and was denied on the basis of the law school transcript, even though I made excellent grades in undergrad and other courses I took after law school. I mistakenly believed that a few Ds on my transcript from 20 years earlier would not be an issue. In fact, I knew people who were dismissed for cheating and had an easier time getting re-admitted into law school. I also knew people who got into graduate school programs even though they had felony records and DWIs - however, if they see you failed out of law school they will not accept you anywhere, ever. Even many vocational school programs want to see all of your college transcripts. I have been told I must always include my law school transcript any time I apply anywhere, or else I am committing academic fraud. So I really have no choice.

In my state, Texas, we have a program called academic forgiveness, where if its been longer than 10 years, you can ask the admissions committee to overlook courses you failed in the past. However, because of some loopholes it doesn't apply to my particular situation.

So you see, failing out of law school can have far worse consequences than just not getting to become a lawyer - it could also prevent you from doing anything else with your life.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:28 pm

This is awesome that you did a search for threads about failing out of law school and then necroed every single one

reformed calvinist

Postby reformed calvinist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:This is awesome that you did a search for threads about failing out of law school and then necroed every single one

lmfao

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm

its virtually impossible to fail out of a T1 school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”