How to not fail out of law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

How to not fail out of law school

Postby Dream Machine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
BK201
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby BK201 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.


TLS Box:I can't read; I can't write; and I like to watch TV.
Highest LSAT:120
GPA: 2.0

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Chucky21 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.


It sounds like you did what I did. But you know how to work hard and have a good work ethic, and that is half the battle. You are smart and made smart decisions to ensure you got the GPA and LSAT scores you needed. From what I hear, most law students also spend most of their time in the library, you, like me, will be accustomed to this already. You got into law school for a reason. Have confidence. I hope this message doesn't sound condescending or patronizing, but I relate to what you wrote.

Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Dream Machine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 pm

BK201 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.


TLS Box:I can't read; I can't write; and I like to watch TV.
Highest LSAT:120
GPA: 2.0


My profile information is meant as a joke. The nature of my original post though is actually meant to be completely serious. I'd appreciate some insight.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Flash » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Dream Machine wrote: (I literally have no friends), I have a friend

hmmm...

Also if you have good enough numbers to get into a top school, you have nothing to worry about. Nobody actually fails out of good schools. Bottom of class and curve =/= failing out.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm

The only way you can fail out of law school is if you literally don't take the final exam. One girl at my school actually went insane (skipping class to sit in the library laughing at a blank computer screen, sending angry e-mails to professors during midterms, posting nonsensical facebook statuses), and even she didn't fail out. The thing about law school is that it's hard to do well, but, also damn near impossible to completely fail. You'll be fine.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.

You need to take a chill pill. Seriously. You sound about as fun as a terminal illness. Live your life a little for chrissakes and try not to be such a gunnerish goober.

Failing out of law school, at least a reputable law school, would take some serious effort. You're not going to drop out.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.

You need to take a chill pill. Seriously. You sound about as fun as a terminal illness. Live your life a little for chrissakes and try not to be such a gunnerish goober.

Failing out of law school, at least a reputable law school, would take some serious effort. You're not going to drop out.


+1

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby tomwatts » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Dream Machine wrote:the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life.... I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out?

Sounds like you're already living the law school lifestyle, so you're good. Just keep that up.

Uh, I'm kidding, I think. Mostly. What the above posters said about the difficulty of failing out is true if you're in one of the top schools (it'd be fun to look up the last time someone failed out of, say, Harvard or Yale) but becomes much, much less true as you move down the rankings. Tier 4 schools routinely fail out the bottom third of the class or the like. So it depends a little on what your "first choice" school was. I'd advise looking up their grading policy (usually on the school's website) if you're really worried, because it will probably ease your mind a little.

Dream Machine
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Dream Machine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Flash wrote:
Dream Machine wrote: (I literally have no friends), I have a friend

hmmm...

Also if you have good enough numbers to get into a top school, you have nothing to worry about. Nobody actually fails out of good schools. Bottom of class and curve =/= failing out.


I'd say he is more of an acquaintance than a friend lol. I realized how dumb that sounded as soon as I posted it.

And the school itself is at the very bottom of the first tier (UF, which may actually be a 2nd tier school I suppose), but I can't seem to find any information on its attrition rate. I am not really sure where I would look.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 am

Dream Machine wrote:And the school itself is at the very bottom of the first tier (UF, which may actually be a 2nd tier school I suppose), but I can't seem to find any information on its attrition rate. I am not really sure where I would look.


Uhhh.... Google? A quick Google search of "florida law attrition" led me to several places that showed attrition rate (the official LSAC guide, LSN, etc).

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 am

snowpeach06 wrote:The only way you can fail out of law school is if you literally don't take the final exam. One girl at my school actually went insane (skipping class to sit in the library laughing at a blank computer screen, sending angry e-mails to professors during midterms, posting nonsensical facebook statuses), and even she didn't fail out. The thing about law school is that it's hard to do well, but, also damn near impossible to completely fail. You'll be fine.



Not true. At T3s and T4s u can fail out even if you try hard.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby 071816 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.

You need to take a chill pill. Seriously. You sound about as fun as a terminal illness. Live your life a little for chrissakes and try not to be such a gunnerish goober.

Failing out of law school, at least a reputable law school, would take some serious effort. You're not going to drop out.


I agree with this and lol at "gunnerish goober."

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 am

rbgrocio wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:The only way you can fail out of law school is if you literally don't take the final exam. One girl at my school actually went insane (skipping class to sit in the library laughing at a blank computer screen, sending angry e-mails to professors during midterms, posting nonsensical facebook statuses), and even she didn't fail out. The thing about law school is that it's hard to do well, but, also damn near impossible to completely fail. You'll be fine.



Not true. At T3s and T4s u can fail out even if you try hard.


Most people at T3s and T4s are objectively bad at law school.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 am

johansantana21 wrote:Most people at T3s and T4s are objectively bad at law school.


You are consistently a horrible poster.

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby nsbane » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:36 am

Dream Machine wrote:I am a 0L who graduated in 2011, and I am working full time right now. I promise that I am not a troll, but I am very concerned about failing out, being unable to handle the workload, being dumber than everyone else, etc. I am basically an idiot. I got into my first choice of schools, but the only reason I had the GPA and LSAT to get in is because I spent all of my time in the library undergrad (I literally have no friends), and when it came time to study for the LSAT, it literally took over my life. I have a friend who studied for 1 month and got the same score as me, while I studied from March until October. I would literally wake up everyday and while I was half-asleep, lying in bed and I would unconsciously be doing Testmasters exercises in my head. So tell me, what steps should I take to not fail out? Thanks in advance.


What kind of answer are you expecting to hear, aside from go to class, take notes, do the reading?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby sunynp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 am

There are several excellent guides to doing well in law school right here on this forum. They don't guarantee success, but I can promise you that if you follow them you will at least not fail. Just search for them on the forum.

I think with your standards you might mean failing out = median. I have no advice to give you that will guarantee you hit top ten percent.

Also- you may want to improve your quality of life. You need social support. And some hobbies!

Xvimic
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Xvimic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm a 0L too, so I can appreciate the apprehension that comes with waiting for law school to start as it is a new and largely unknown academic challenge that also often accompanies moving to a new location that you have never been to before.

That said, I can imagine that one way to assist in not failing out would be to calm down and make sure you aren't so neurotic about failing out that you snap and have a mental break down. I say this only partially tongue in cheek. Stress can be a great motivator for success, however if you let it reach critical mass it can shut you down completely. I doubt this will happen to you though if you got through the LSAT which is a great firewall to stop people who are going to let stress cripple them.

In other words, chill son and when august rolls around just make sure you put in as much work studying for your classes as you did for the LSAT. (Maybe even a little less if you actually did study every waking hour like you claim).

Personally I'm gonna try to get by with 40 hours a week in and out of class, at least until finals roll around. :D

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Gail » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:39 am

You probably would have done better if you took a break between and didn't burn yourself out on the LSAT. You're selling yourself short.


I actually wish I had done that. I came back after several months off to see what my LSAT score would be. I scored 3 points higher on my first try.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:54 am

Xvimic wrote:Personally I'm gonna try to get by with 40 hours a week in and out of class, at least until finals roll around. :D


Unless you're the kind of person who needs it, 40 hrs/week during the semester is overdoing it.

Xvimic
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Xvimic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 am

bk1 wrote:
Xvimic wrote:Personally I'm gonna try to get by with 40 hours a week in and out of class, at least until finals roll around. :D


Unless you're the kind of person who needs it, 40 hrs/week during the semester is overdoing it.


I meant 40 hours including class time, or is that what you meant too? I'd love to be able to get away with less, I'll have to see how it goes.

Generally I'm not the type who has to study like mad I have pretty good reading comprehension, then again I've never been in law school so who can say. Ultimately I suspect I will study as much as I have to during the semester in order to get a firm grasp of the concepts and then probably go crazy over the top around finals time. I won't be working or anything so I'm not too worried about it either way.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:08 am

snowpeach06 wrote:The only way you can fail out of law school is if you literally don't take the final exam. One girl at my school actually went insane (skipping class to sit in the library laughing at a blank computer screen, sending angry e-mails to professors during midterms, posting nonsensical facebook statuses), and even she didn't fail out. The thing about law school is that it's hard to do well, but, also damn near impossible to completely fail. You'll be fine.

Hey, just wondering... did she happen to transfer?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 am

bk1 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Most people at T3s and T4s are objectively bad at law school.


You are an consistently objectively horrible poster.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 am

Xvimic wrote:I meant 40 hours including class time, or is that what you meant too? I'd love to be able to get away with less, I'll have to see how it goes.


I was including class time. 3 hours of class per day... the only time I'm putting in another 5 hours is if I'm working on a paper.

Xvimic
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 am

Re: How to not fail out of law school

Postby Xvimic » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:17 am

bk1 wrote:
Xvimic wrote:I meant 40 hours including class time, or is that what you meant too? I'd love to be able to get away with less, I'll have to see how it goes.


I was including class time. 3 hours of class per day... the only time I'm putting in another 5 hours is if I'm working on a paper.


That's what I like to hear.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: raidr and 1 guest