Good Computer for Those About to Enter Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AreJay711

Re: Good Computer for Those About to Enter Law School

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm

I have one computer to take notes on and another that I take exams on. I like a 17" screen for exams so I can have my notes and outline up in another window with the EBB right next to it. Takes me about 2 seconds to look something up in my outline in my exams. That can be helpful in element heavy exams / concepts.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 am

AreJay711 wrote:I have one computer to take notes on and another that I take exams on. I like a 17" screen for exams so I can have my notes and outline up in another window with the EBB right next to it. Takes me about 2 seconds to look something up in my outline in my exams. That can be helpful in element heavy exams / concepts.

You can have notes while taking exams? We have to use Examsoft which locks the computer to only a simple notepad thingy.

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Lenovo X or T series with 3 year warranty and SSD. Buy at the outlet to get a killer deal.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/

As a 1L, you cannot afford to send your computer away for a week. ThinkPads are worth it because you can throw them around like a frisbee and nothing will break.

I got a 14" because I thought I'd want a trackpad, but I never use anything but the clit mouse and wish I would have gotten an X 13" with an SSD

MacBook Air is a good second choice but I know too many Mac people who've had compatibility problems with ExamSoft and SofTest.

memo2partner

Postby memo2partner » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Get a lenovo. Dells are cheaply built and fall apart.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Looking at the HP Envy 15 (I'd like the Envy Spectre 14 that was just announced, but it's out of my price range) and considering the hybrid HD option. But I can't figure out what brand/model of drive it is. Anyone know if HP uses decent quality hybrids in the Envy line? And also, whether the hybrid is worth the extra money over a regular HD? I don't want all SSD, because I want some capacity. I also don't game, but I like things to run well (and I do do more than just web and Word).

This is all the info they give on the site: 750G 7200 Hybrid Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Why does the Asus site suck so much for comparing models? I don't want to have to click on every damn model name (of which there are about a million), one at a time, to even figure out what size the screen is. Some filters would he HELPFUL.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a 2009 unibody Mbp 13". I have been thinking of getting a new Mbp 15 inch? Would the bigger screen be worth it?

omninode

Postby omninode » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:45 pm

victortsoi wrote:I have a 2009 unibody Mbp 13". I have been thinking of getting a new Mbp 15 inch? Would the bigger screen be worth it?

I would wait a little bit. There will be new MBPs in April/May when the new Intel chips come out.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:42 pm

I would waits bit but the question is how convinent is 15 vs 13 for notes/exams? I use a 27 inch LCD at home so I'm used to it....

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:08 pm

victortsoi wrote:I would waits bit but the question is how convinent is 15 vs 13 for notes/exams? I use a 27 inch LCD at home so I'm used to it....

I went from a 15" 1920x1200 to a 13" 1366x768. And at home I use a 24" 1920x1200 monitor (used to have a 30" 2560x1600 before it died). First I'd say that resolution matters a lot. A 15" 1440x900 isn't going to be that much better than a 13" 1366x768. That being said it is going from high resolution to low has had its disadvantages. The first is that it is that things are more cramped when I have windows open side by side (which I do a lot). If it's a Word document it's not such a big deal since you can set the zoom to around 90% and you'll be fine having 2 open side by side. It becomes a slight issue when I'm using OneNote since OneNote has a lot of tabs on the edges and these reduce the actual notetaking area that is visible. That being said I've learned to adapt. It also might be an issue on some web pages, but just as in Word you can set the zoom to around 90%.

All in all I'd say that it depends on how much you have stuff open side-by-side. On tests this is helpful if your school/prof lets you have a digital copy of your notes open (most of my profs do). For notes it's useful for me since I'm dicking around on gchat/TLS/theinterbutts during class so it's nice to have them open side-by-side. Personally I've learned to be okay with the smaller resolution and I have pretty good eyesight so setting things to 90 or even 70-80 percent zoom doesn't bother me. For you I see no compelling reason to upgrade to a 15" unless you just want it personally. A 13" is definitely more than fine.

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:00 am

portaprokoss wrote:And if something does go wrong, someone with a computer science degree is going to show up at my house in under 24 hours and fix it.

How do you know this?

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:29 am

XxMVPxX wrote:
portaprokoss wrote:And if something does go wrong, someone with a computer science degree is going to show up at my house in under 24 hours and fix it.

How do you know this?

Also, computer science degree /= good at fixing computers.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”